Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship (Tue April 25th) Q Final !!

Postby Souvent

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Souvent wrote:Interesting to see that Ronnie fans are more worried about Higgins getting his fifth at his age than Selby getting his third having won two of the last three. Careful what you wish for, Selby is a juggernaut. If he wins this year I can see him matching Ronnie's 5 sooner rather than later. He certainly has the drive and the confidence for it.

I don't like either, but I'd rather have Higgins winning it than the boring grinder Selby.
I still have a bit of hope that Ronnie can turn the match around.
If that doesn't happen, Barry Hawkins is snooker's last hope. Can't see Ding ever winning it, he's mentally weak.
Barry is a lot tougher and his game is good enough to beat Higgins and Selby.

I'm in total agreement.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Ronnie79 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Let's face it Ronnie was never going to win with this draw this year. Yes he played 2 good matches but with Selby and Higgins probably waiting it's pretty much mission impossible.

I truly believe that Ronnie has another world title in him and nothing I've seen this season or in this tournament changes that. However he needs a reasonable draw and that means many of the seeds going out early. That certainly hasn't happened this year.

But he should play the balls and not the man, can you see him winning a world title again he is 42 next year ?. He will be worse

With a draw like Robbo in 2010, yes it's certainly possible (by the way this isn't supposed to be a dig at Robbo, it's just the way I see it)

Postby GJ

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Let's face it Ronnie was never going to win with this draw this year. Yes he played 2 good matches but with Selby and Higgins probably waiting it's pretty much mission impossible.

I truly believe that Ronnie has another world title in him and nothing I've seen this season or in this tournament changes that. However he needs a reasonable draw and that means many of the seeds going out early. That certainly hasn't happened this year.

But he should play the balls and not the man, can you see him winning a world title again he is 42 next year ?. He will be worse

With a draw like Robbo in 2010, yes it's certainly possible (by the way this isn't supposed to be a dig at Robbo, it's just the way I see it)

well I prefer to rate world champs on their record in other majors to separate them

robbo has 3 more , were they all lucky <laugh> rofl

Postby snucar

eraserhead wrote:I love Ding but his shot choice is odd sometimes I think Selby can take advantage of that and would beat him over this distance. Can't see it being anything other than Selby - Higgins Final.

Well said, that's my vision too.

Souvent wrote:Interesting to see that Ronnie fans are more worried about Higgins getting his fifth at his age than Selby getting his third having won two of the last three. Careful what you wish for, Selby is a juggernaut. If he wins this year I can see him matching Ronnie's 5 sooner rather than later. He certainly has the drive and the confidence for it.

Spot on! I was talking to a friend of mine a couple of days ago and we were wondering if we have already entered the Selby era in snooker but due to the fact the guy is flying so under the radar, no one pays the deserved attention. If Selby wins this year, I can definitely see him beat or at least equal Ronnie's world titles. He still has almost a decade of high level snooker ahead of him.

If Higgins wins, well, no scandal with another world title under his belt. Let's be honest, he's never been inferior to Ronnie overall.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:We have to be realistic. If Ding plays at tonights level, he'll get over the line. He definitely needs to choke at some stage. Might do if Ronnie wins the first two frames tomorrow.

Against Selby, Trump and Higgins tonight's result would mean the certain end but against Ding there's still a glimmer of hope. If Ronnie plays another two of these 3 minute frame winning breaks it will rattle Ding. And if the history he has against Ronnie it will get very interesting.

Postby Cloud Strife

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:We have to be realistic. If Ding plays at tonights level, he'll get over the line. He definitely needs to choke at some stage. Might do if Ronnie wins the first two frames tomorrow.

Against Selby, Trump and Higgins tonight's result would mean the certain end but against Ding there's still a glimmer of hope. If Ronnie plays another two of these 3 minute frame winning breaks it will rattle Ding. And if the history he has against Ronnie it will get very interesting.

If Ronnie starts fast Ding may get rattled like Robertson did in 2012.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

GJ wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:

well I prefer to rate world champs on their record in other majors to separate them

robbo has 3 more , were they all lucky <laugh> rofl

Robertson won his World Title fair and square <ok> And he deserves to be a triple crown winner.

All I'm saying is that Ronnie needs to avoid some of the top players if he wants to ever win the World Title again.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Trump is hardly an invincible front runner.

Postby TheRocket

snucar wrote:
If Higgins wins, well, no scandal with another world title under his belt. Let's be honest, he's never been inferior to Ronnie overall.

the fact O'Sullivan has won 5 more Masters titles, 2 more UK's and been the more consistent player in the World Championship (18 quarters vs 13 quarters, 11 semis vs 7) shows very much that Higgins is inferior.

Postby GJ

TheRocket wrote:
snucar wrote:

the fact O'Sullivan has won 5 more Masters titles, 2 more UK's and been the more consistent player in the World Championship (18 quarters vs 13 quarters, 11 semis vs 7) shows very much that Higgins is inferior.

If Higgins wins this they are equal on 5

As Ebdon says WSC is more important than all other events combined

<ok>

Postby TheRocket

GJ wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
snucar wrote:

<ok>

Are Bingham and Dott equal to Robbo then?

Postby snucar

TheRocket wrote:
snucar wrote:

Davis has more world titles, more UK's but you fans pretend that Ronnie is the GOAT. Which way is it then? Please decide, once and for all.

Postby GJ

TheRocket wrote:
GJ wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
snucar wrote:

<ok>

Are Bingham and Dott equal to Robbo then?

yes <cool>

Postby TheRocket

snucar wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
snucar wrote:

Davis has more world titles, more UK's but you fans pretend that Ronnie is the GOAT. Which way is it then? Please decide, once and for all.

I've never pretended ROS is Goat. Hendry still is for me.

Postby GJ

snucar wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
snucar wrote:

They pick and choose to suit their agenda :-D

Postby Andre147

Even so, Selby would still be 2 away, whilst Higgins would be level, which is sickening.

Postby GJ

Andre147 wrote:

Even so, Selby would still be 2 away, whilst Higgins would be level, which is sickening.

Come on now Andre you know fine well Higgins is worth at least 5 WSC

;-)

Postby Ronnie79

snucar wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
snucar wrote:

Ronnie has 17 triple crown events , Davis has 15 did you forget the Masters

Postby Souvent

Andre147 wrote:

Why sickening? He's an amazing player.

Postby Cloud Strife

GJ, as a Robertson supporter you should be despising Higgins. His antics in Kiev took the spotlight away from what was supposed to Robertson's big moment. All anyone remembers from that weekend is what happened in Kiev.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:GJ, as a Robertson supporter you should be despising Higgins. His antics in Kiev took the spotlight away from what was supposed to Robertson's big moment. All anyone remembers from that weekend is what happened in Kiev.

Who even won the World Championship that weekend? I remember some peroxide blonde woman getting a bye to the final, but everything after that is a haze of Ukrainian vodka.
Last edited by Pink Ball on 25 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GJ

Cloud Strife wrote:GJ, as a Robertson supporter you should be despising Higgins. His antics in Kiev took the spotlight away from what was supposed to Robertson's big moment. All anyone remembers from that weekend is what happened in Kiev.

Forgive and Forget <laugh>

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:

Who even won the World Championship that weekend? I remember some peroxide blonde getting a bye to the final, but everything after that is a haze of Ukrainian vodka.

I agree. The final pales into insignificance compared to what was happening elsewhere.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Who even won the World Championship that weekend? I remember some peroxide blonde getting a bye to the final, but everything after that is a haze of Ukrainian vodka.

I agree. The final pales into insignificance compared to what was happening elsewhere.

It was hugely regrettable.