Post a reply

Betfred World Championship (Sat April 22st) Last 16 !!

Postby Skullman

Image Image Image
Saturday 15th of April~Monday 1st of May at The Crucible Theatre, Sheffield

It's been a week since the tournament began. Kyren Wilson is already through to the quarter finals and three more men will join him today.

Ronnie O'Sullivan will be hoping to finish off Shaun Murphy after winning an important 16th frame. Mark Allen will be hoping to maintain the form that gave him a 5-3 lead against Higgins for two sessions, while Higgins will be hoping he's survived the onslaught. In a high quality, all Chinese clash, Ding continues his campaign to become Asia's first World Champion.

Day 8 also sees the return of defending champion Mark Selby and Stephen Maguire, who haven't played since Day 1. They both start as favourites, but as Rory McLeod can tell you, it doesn't mean they'll win.

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Saturday 22nd of April

10am

**Shaun Murphy 6-10 Ronnie O'Sullivan O'Sullivan leads 9-3
Mark Allen 5-3 John Higgins Allen leads 10-9

2.30pm

**Liang Wenbo 7-9 Ding Junhui Liang Wenbo leads 4-2
Stephen Maguire v Rory McLeod McLeod leads 2-1

7pm

Mark Selby v Xiao Guodong Selby leads 2-0
**Mark Allen 5-3 John Higgins Allen leads 10-9

** Denotes Final Session of a Match

Re: Betfred World Championship (Sat April 22st) Last 16 !!

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:cant watch the morning session. Hopefully ROS will finish it off comfortably in the end.

Yes the only way back for Murphy would be winning 3 of the first 4 frames, and play like he did in the 2nd half of that 2nd session. If he went only 11-9 down, Ronnie would start feeling the pressure, and we all know he's been very edgy under pressure lately.

I hope it doesn't come to any of this and Ronnie wins it farily confortably.

Postby Andre147

Also seems like Selby and Maguire have played in another tournament a week ago and return for the last one of the season lol... such a hige gap, but I suppose it's always like that, especially for the defending champion.

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:Also seems like Selby and Maguire have played in another tournament a week ago and return for the last one of the season lol... such a hige gap, but I suppose it's always like that, especially for the defending champion.

No, usually the winner of the defending champion's opening round match would be back in second round action for the Thursday. And dare I say that made a helluva lot more sense.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Pink Ball wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Also seems like Selby and Maguire have played in seeanother tournament a week ago and return for the last one of the season lol... such a hige gap, but I suppose it's always like that, especially for the defending champion.

No, usually the winner of the defending champion's opening round match would be back in second round action for the Thursday. And dare I say that made a helluva lot more sense.

For some reason they put Selby's potential opponents on four days after him.

Postby vodkadiet

GJ wrote:Remember this classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf9lF1ZiEHA

<laugh>

Yes. What a surprise that was! I remember when Joe Johnson lost the last frame of the second session of his quarter final with Stephen Hendry in 1987. He was cueing from under the side cushion at the baulk end and pulled off a good pot on the black in to the green pocket but as he was cueing from the cushion he couldn't stun or screw the cue ball and the cue ball ended up going in off the left hand black pocket. It meant it was 9-7 overnight instead of 10-6. He survived to win 13-12 the following morning.

Postby votesforgoats

Should be a great day; Ding and Liang is sure to go down to the wire and offer lots of drama; hopefully Murphy won't go down too easy, though ultimately I am hoping Ronnie goes through so I should be careful of what I wish for. Didn't see much of Allen-Higgins today but sounds like Allen was playing great so may that continue tomorrow, would like to see him progress further. And it should be interesting to see how Selby handles his opponent whose first round performance was fairly impressive.

Postby Muppet147

GJ wrote:Hope Xiao makes a good start and then it could be a cracker

If I'm honest I have no interest in Maguire v Rory

That is very honest of you. I feel exactly the same about Robbo. The only difference is that Rory is a contender for the world title, while Robbo will be out on his bottom very soon. :-D

Postby SnookerFan

Muppet147 wrote:

That is very honest of you. I feel exactly the same about Robbo. The only difference is that Rory is a contender for the world title, while Robbo will be out on his bottom very soon. :-D

Imagine a Rory and Selby final. <ok>

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:

No.

I wouldn't mind another O'Sullivan v Selby final though.

Postby GJ

I think people are underestimating Allen and his ability to keep this form going for a long match.

If you recall it took a peak Robbo to beat him in 2014 , Allen played really well in that match.

He has the belief and his confidence stays high no doubt he can beat Higgins.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:

No.

IMAGINE THAT! :grrr:

Postby Cloud Strife

GJ wrote:I think people are underestimating Allen and his ability to keep this form going for a long match.

If you recall it took a peak Robbo to beat him in 2014 , Allen played really well in that match.

He has the belief and his confidence stays high no doubt he can beat Higgins.

Who are these people that are underestimating Allen? From what I can see most people had Allen down as the favourite.

Postby GJ

Cloud

I have seen a lot of comments he wont keep this level up etc and also Higgins doesn't have the stamina these days which also favours allen.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:

No.

I wouldn't mind another O'Sullivan v Selby final though.

Semis only Cloud.

Postby Cloud Strife

GJ wrote:Cloud

I have seen a lot of comments he wont keep this level up etc and also Higgins doesn't have the stamina these days which also favours allen.

Agree. I think Allen will spank him for the rest of the match.