Post a reply

Re: Ronnie says he's getting bullied by Hearn...

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Snooker has paid the price for not being a global sport and therefore the snooker authorities never dealt with O'Sullivan in the way they should have. In tennis or golf he would have been banned a long time ago. This rubbish about any individual being bigger than the sport doesn't wash. Alex Higgins was dealt with by the authorities, and he was a bigger draw than O'Sullivan has ever been. Rex Williams didn't suffer nonsense as those who followed him have,

Ronnie is more important to snooker than Higgins was.

He is a better player than Higgins, but he has never been as popular.

Higgins was popular only in little old Great Britain. Ronnie is a far bigger star in many parts of the world. Like it or not, Ronnie is crucial to snooker's aim of being a more global sport. So you can see why the authorities have been loathe to do anything to Ronnie over the years, whether it's been deserved or not.

Postby vodkadiet

snucar wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Snooker has paid the price for not being a global sport and therefore the snooker authorities never dealt with O'Sullivan in the way they should have. In tennis or golf he would have been banned a long time ago. This rubbish about any individual being bigger than the sport doesn't wash. Alex Higgins was dealt with by the authorities, and he was a bigger draw than O'Sullivan has ever been. Rex Williams didn't suffer nonsense as those who followed him have,

You've nailed it!

O'Sullivan is only in the game to make fortunes and couldn't care less about anyone else in the game, or the future of the game.

Postby sas6789

While Ronnie's been no angel throughout his career, Alex did far worse things to be fair.

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

I disagree.

Postby vodkadiet

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

I disagree.

The only time when the crowd cheered Jimmy White's mistakes was when he played Alex Higgins.

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

I disagree.

The only time when the crowd cheered Jimmy White's mistakes was when he played Alex Higgins.

A rock solid criteria for determining who is or isn't more popular. Well done. <ok>

Postby Pink Ball

Snooker has never been as dependent on one player for its popularity as it has been on O'Sullivan. I don't like that, but I believe it to be true. Higgins might have been more popular, I agree, but there were many popular snooker players at the time,

Also, while Sullivan has certainly crossed the line on many occasions, he was a delightful man in comparison to Higgins.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Higgins was popular only in little old Great Britain. Ronnie is a far bigger star in many parts of the world. Like it or not, Ronnie is crucial to snooker's aim of being a more global sport. So you can see why the authorities have been loathe to do anything to Ronnie over the years, whether it's been deserved or not.

Indeed. Alex was popular in Great Britain only. Ronnie is popular in the whole world. People are watching and playing snooker in Asia, the USA and the hole of Europe because of Ronnie. I live in Belgium, and people I know who know nothing about snooker know one name, and that's Ronnie O'Sullivan. They have never heard of Alex Higgins.

Love him or hate him, Ronnie is the most well known snooker player ever, not only in the UK but worldwide. You just can't dispute the fact that Ronnie has made the game of snooker a lot of money. He puts bums in seats. And not only that, a lot of youngsters around the world started playing the game because of him.

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:Snooker has never been as dependent on one player for its popularity as it has been on O'Sullivan. I don't like that, but I believe it to be true. Higgins might have been more popular, I agree, but there were many popular snooker players at the time,

Also, while Sullivan has certainly crossed the line on many occasions, he was a delightful man in comparison to Higgins.

So when O'Sullivan finally retires at the age of 75 snooker should cease to be a sport?

Of course snooker was more popular when Higgins was playing, but he was still the number one draw card by a distance. And he got banned.

The difference between Higgins and O'Sullivan is one of them was genuinely the way he was, and the other one is an actor.

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:Snooker has never been as dependent on one player for its popularity as it has been on O'Sullivan. I don't like that, but I believe it to be true. Higgins might have been more popular, I agree, but there were many popular snooker players at the time,

Having a bunch of drunken little Englanders shouting and cheering you on is not the only factor for determining popularity, IMO. Higgins was and is an unknown in Europe, China, India, the Middle East etc, places where Ronnie is a huge star. Sorry to say, but Ronnie is easily more popular than Higgins ever was.

Postby SnookerEd25

vodkadiet wrote:

So when O'Sullivan finally retires at the age of 75 snooker should cease to be a sport?

Of course snooker was more popular when Higgins was playing, but he was still the number one draw card by a distance. And he got banned.

The difference between Higgins and O'Sullivan is one of them was genuinely the way he was, and the other one is an actor.

And the difference between their eras being the rise of the Internet, and with it "social" media.

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:

Yes, Snooker should cease to be a sport, that's exactly what I meant.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Even on this forum, a forum for dedicated snooker fans, there is one name that gets talked about over and over again. And when that player is playing, more than double the amount of people than usual log on and make posts... The name is ROS.

Even the great Stephen Hendry has said there's only one player he would pay for to watch....

Postby Wildey

next person to use the C Word is banned for the rest of the tournament the only reason cloud strife is not banned already is ive not been on here all day

BUT from now on zero tolerance

Postby GJ

Wildey wrote:next person to use the C Word is banned for the rest of the tournament the only reason cloud strife is not banned already is ive not been on here all day

BUT from now on zero tolerance

I gave an honest verdict on mr selt on the other thread <ok>

Postby TheRocket

vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan could only dream of being as popular as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvGGFMTHgi4

We're not in the 80's anymore. Ronnie O'Sullivan has influenced and shaped Snooker more than anyone else has in the 21st century. He's the Roger Federer and Lionel Messi of Snooker in todays modern technologized world.

He has said some very stupid things over the course of his career but he has done a lot for Snooker.

Postby vodkadiet

TheRocket wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan could only dream of being as popular as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvGGFMTHgi4

We're not in the 80's anymore. Ronnie O'Sullivan has influenced and shaped Snooker more than anyone else has in the 21st century. He's the Roger Federer and Lionel Messi of Snooker in todays modern technologized world.

He has said some very stupid things over the course of his career but he has done a lot for Snooker.

If he has done anything for snooker that was incidental, his only intention was to seek attention at every turn.

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:If O'Sullivan had been playing in the era of Higgins ne wouldn't have been in the top 5 most popular players.

He would have been because he would've won every title back in the 80s. Davis the only one capable of giving him a game out of that dross era.

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet wrote:If O'Sullivan had been playing in the era of Higgins ne wouldn't have been in the top 5 most popular players.

You could not be more wrong. You hate Ronnie way too much to have an honest opinion on this.

The way Ronnie plays the game is what makes him popular. And it definitely would have in the eighties or in any other era as well... The guy makes century break after century break, makes maximum breaks like it's no big deal, plays an attacking game, has the cue ball on a string... He's the biggest natural talent ever and that's what people like to see. Ask Hendry, Reardon, Davis, Jimmy.... They all agree and they have been there and know what they're talking about.

You don't like Ronnie, I get that. But you're talking out of your bottom...

Postby Holden Chinaski

Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Man, I do love opinions.

Opinions are great. At the end of the day that's what this forum is here for.

Absolutely! Unless you don't like Selby.

Talking of Selby, wher's Coland? :chin:

Postby Pink Ball

Holden Chinaski wrote:

You could not be more wrong. You hate Ronnie way too much to have an honest opinion on this.

The way Ronnie plays the game is what makes him popular. And it definitely would have in the eighties or in any other era as well... The guy makes century break after century break, makes maximum breaks like it's no big deal, plays an attacking game, has the cue ball on a string... He's the biggest natural talent ever and that's what people like to see. Ask Hendry, Reardon, Davis, Jimmy.... They all agree and they have been there and know what they're talking about.

You don't like Ronnie, I get that. But you're talking out of your bottom...

Relax sunshine, it'll be alright.

Postby Wildey

Ronnie is being a bit childish and the amount of posts on this thread proves hes not the only one...

lot of fuss about nothing

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Ronnie is being a bit childish and the amount of posts on this thread proves hes not the only one...

lot of fuss about nothing

I think he's trying to drum up support for an issue nobody really cares about.

Rightly or wrongly, he got fined in January. Nobody else cares about it any more, other than him.