Post a reply

Re: The Crucible Countdown !!!!

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerFan wrote:Did I dream it, or did Matthew Stevens drop off the tour?

Dreamt it -or perhaps it was a premonition for next year!
I updated the dropping-off tour thread today - but, accidentally 'edited it' instead of posting a fresh reply, and as a result it didn't get 'bumped'!

viewtopic.php?f=633&t=7168

Postby GJ

A debutant for Neil and Kyren can't ask for much more

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:A debutant for Neil and Kyren can't ask for much more

if a player has ambition never worry about who you play just worry about your own game

Postby Wildey

Witz_is_back wrote:Greetings comrades

I'm back for one tournament only

It's been a while...

Where Smart these days ? Last time I saw him he had 1 strand of hair left

ohhh goodyyyyyyyy

Postby Muppet147

Witz_is_back wrote:Greetings comrades

I'm back for one tournament only

It's been a while...

Where Smart these days ? Last time I saw him he had 1 strand of hair left

Welcome back, old friend.

Smart now has his own 'busy' forum, which is frequented by a bunch of tossers who post under about three names each.

I exclude Snookerfan from this damning critique as he appears to waddle onto the threads as himself.

Postby Skullman

I have returned from the dead for this tournament. Selby has the record breaking Fergal as his opponent, annoying but manageable.

As for the draw on the whole, looks okay. Weird how all the Asian players are crammed in one half. Of the really dangerous qualifiers, Mags has McGill, who beat him a couple of years back, while Dott has Carter, which is 50/50. Can't see Gould getting past Higgins personally and if the Fu who's palyed well all season turns up I can't see Luca winning. But we'll see.

Postby mantorok

It might appear that the pressure is on the qualifiers in the first round, on the contrary the seeds will be under it more, and I expect a few of them have been beaten in the past by one or more them. This is why the first round is such a massive banana skin.

I reckon there will be a lot of deciders and maybe a few shocks.
Last edited by mantorok on 13 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Tamctus

Anyone else find it fascinating that the bottom half of the draw is only UK players whereas the top half has only 6 of them (+Fergal)?

e. Also, is this the least amount of Welsh players ever in Crucible?
Last edited by Tamctus on 13 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:I have returned from the dead for this tournament. Selby has the record breaking Fergal as his opponent, annoying but manageable.

As for the draw on the whole, looks okay. Weird how all the Asian players are crammed in one half. Of the really dangerous qualifiers, Mags has McGill, who beat him a couple of years back, while Dott has Carter, which is 50/50. Can't see Gould getting past Higgins personally and if the Fu who's palyed well all season turns up I can't see Luca winning. But we'll see.

Mate!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: Very happy to see you back! <ok>

Will you be around just for this one or really returned again? :roll:

Anyway, even if it's just for the Worlds, nice to see you back. You're a top bloke and poster.

How do you rate Selby's chances this year? I think he has a great chance to sucessfully defend this title, much like Ronnie did in 2013. It will take a very special performance from someone to beat Selby over a long format. Atm I can only see doing that, inspired performances from Trump, Robbo or perhaps Ronnie.

Postby TheRocket

Welcome back Witz and Skullman.

The forum is returning from the dead.

Looks like the World Championship even brings out the best in this forum.

Postby Skullman

Andre147 wrote:
Skullman wrote:I have returned from the dead for this tournament. Selby has the record breaking Fergal as his opponent, annoying but manageable.

Mate!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: Very happy to see you back! <ok>

Will you be around just for this one or really returned again? :roll:

Anyway, even if it's just for the Worlds, nice to see you back. You're a top bloke and poster.

How do you rate Selby's chances this year? I think he has a great chance to sucessfully defend this title, much like Ronnie did in 2013. It will take a very special performance from someone to beat Selby over a long format. Atm I can only see doing that, inspired performances from Trump, Robbo or perhaps Ronnie.

I think Selby will get through to the quarters at least. From then, it'll depend on how each player plays on the day. Gut feeling says he won't win it this year, but that said only other person I see doing on current form is Judd.

As for how long I'll be here, :shrug: TBH I wasn't planning on not posting for a year, it just happened. I'll play it by ear.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:I've just had a dizzy spell at work. I'm getting sent home.

You ok mate? You may be dehydrated. Happened to me once after 7 nights on the lash in Ibiza. Got back to the UK and feinted, was taken to hospital in a cab by my mate.

To rehydrate, you need to put some impurity in water such as lemon or lime as it helps breaks through the membrane better to get into your blood stream. My ex-doctor girl taught me that.

Postby Andre147

Agree with previous posters, a chinese player would have a much tougher draw for Ronnie. They arent afraid of anyone and really fancy their chances.

Wilson, making his debut might be nervous. He may have scored tremendously well in the qualifiers, but The Crucible is a diferent ballgame, I think Ronnie might beat him something like 10-5 or 10-6. And I'm saying this in case the occasion doesn't get the better of Wilson, because if it does then Ronnie might thrash him. Of course Ronnie himself not playing anywhere near the way we know he can.

Ronnie may feel he has a point to prove here. He doesn't have anything else to prove in the game, he could retire tomorrow and to some be the GOAT, but given Ronnie's recent lack of sucess by his own standards, and given he didnt even play well most of the times to win The Masters, he may feel this is a great chance to showcase his full abilities as a player here. I wont even think about him winning it unless he reaches the Semis.

Postby Wildey

Jesus Christ returned from the dead at easter why not snooker islenders

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Jesus Christ returned from the dead at easter

Maybe he should've left it a few weeks. Easter was already a busy enough time.

Postby eraserhead

Guodong seemed to play pretty well in the qualifiers so I can see him beating Ryan Day but not going much further than that. A Ding - Wenbo match would be interesting as well.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:

Do you often dream of snooker players?

Only Matthew Stevens. I love him.

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Do you often dream of snooker players?

Only Matthew Stevens. I love him.

Hopefully this love can turn his career around

Postby Andre147

Cant understand the reason why most here dont think Gould has a great chance of beating Higgins.

Higgins record since winning in 2011 has been very very bad by his standards, only one QUarter-Final last year.

I think Gould has indeed a great chance. I'm not saying he'll beat him, but would you be surprised if he did? I certainly wouldn't, plus Higgins hasn't played well since his purple patch in November/December.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:Cant understand the reason why most here dont think Gould has a great chance of beating Higgins.

Higgins record since winning in 2011 has been very very bad by his standards, only one QUarter-Final last year.

I think Gould has indeed a great chance. I'm not saying he'll beat him, but would you be surprised if he did? I certainly wouldn't, plus Higgins hasn't played well since his purple patch in November/December.

That's going to be a top match.