Post a reply

Race to the Crucible : Qualifying Round 1 (April 5th ~ 8th)

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Wednesday 5th ~ Saturday 8th of April at Ponds Forge International Sports Centre, Sheffield

So here we go again the start of 25 Days Snooker that will see 1 man win the tournament 1st of May

In Round 1 144 players from around the World will be competing with the aim of firstly reach the Crucible and secondly win the title.

Mark Williams narrowly failed to be seeded at the crucible and will take his place in the Draw playing on Saturday against China's Zhao Xintong. Williams had to qualify in 2009 where he lost 10-7 to Stephen Hendry in the first Round.

Also in the qualifying process is former top 16 stalwarts Stephen Maguire, Joe Perry and Ricky Walden

Who will progress in to Round 2 and keep their hopes alive?

DRAW

Selected 1st Round Matches

Mark J Williams v Zhao Xintong
Stuart Carrington v Alex Borg
Tom Ford v Jamie Bodle
Hossein Vafaei v Hatem Yassin
Robin Hull v Reanne Evans
Matthew Stevens v Lee Walker
Anthony Hamilton v Craig Steadman
Mike Dunn v Andy Hicks
Nigel Bond v Ng On Yee
Stephen Maguire v Kritsanut Lertsattayathorn
Mark King v Paul Davis
Zhang Anda v Fang Xiongmanon
Sam Baird v Ross Vallance
Ben Woollaston v Chris Totten
Ken Doherty v Jason Weston
Zhou Yuelong v Christopher Keogan
Jamie Jones v Jamie Barrett
Graeme Dott v Allan Taylor
David Gilbert v Patrick Wallace
Joe Perry v Zack Richardson
Luca Brecel v Sean O'Sullivan
Joe Swail v Sanderson Lam
Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Peter Lines
Michael White v Aditya Mehta
Kurt Maflin v Sydney Wilson
Martin O'Donnell v Jackson Page
Ricky Walden v Hammad Miah
Michael Holt v Hamza Akbar
Peter Ebdon v Michael Wild
Jack Lisowski v Jimmy White
Alan McManus v Kurt Dunham
Jimmy Robertso v Cao Yupeng
Oliver Lines v Duane Jones
Yan Bingtao v Sam Craigie
Mark Davis v Mitchell Mann
Scott Donaldson v Wang Yuchen
Robert Milkins v Alexander Ursenbache
Robbie Williams v James Cahill
John Astley v Igor Figueiredo
Martin Gould v James Wattana

Players in Bold appeared at the Crucible in 2016

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Race to the Crucible : Qualifying Round 1 (April 5th ~ 8

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

Shaun Murphy‏Verified @Magician147
Round 1 of the World Snooker Championship starts in Sheffield this week and the top players aren't in it. #strange #headstart #unfair #weird

I think all tour players should start every tournament in round 1. It's the equivalent of giving @usainbolt and co a 20 metre head start

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Surprised to see Wingnut Walden in this. His form really has fallen off this year.

Where is he ranked?

He's currently at 22 after the China open - so he wasn't even 'knocking on the door' of the seeding.

He's playing Hammad Miah. But his 'section' of qualifying includes the dangerous Kurt Maflin...

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Surprised to see Wingnut Walden in this. His form really has fallen off this year.

Where is he ranked?

He's currently at 22 after the China open - so he wasn't even 'knocking on the door' of the seeding.

He's playing Hammad Miah. But his 'section' of qualifying includes the dangerous Kurt Maflin...

Good man. <ok>

Didn't he just narrowly miss out of The Masters?

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

Round 1 of the World Snooker Championship starts in Sheffield this week and the top players aren't in it. #strange #headstart #unfair #weird

I think all tour players should start every tournament in round 1. It's the equivalent of giving @usainbolt and co a 20 metre head start

Shaun plucking random words and numbers out of the sky again. If Usain Bolt had a twenty metre head start then he would win every race by at least nineteen metres! Also, if he was part of a group then clearly they would all finish around twenty metres ahead. Gross exaggeration.

Postby Andre147

Murphy again saying ridiculous stuff.

This is maybe the only tournament where the Top 16 do deserve to be there on merit. I cant imagine Selby, WN1 and World Champion having to go through these minefield qualifiers and possibly not make the Crucible...

This isn't like Tennis where all 4 Majors are equal. The World Champs is above all other tournaments. If we had 4 tournaments like the Worlds Champs, then 128 round for every player would make sense.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:Murphy again saying ridiculous stuff.

This is maybe the only tournament where the Top 16 do deserve to be there on merit. I cant imagine Selby, WN1 and World Champion having to go through these minefield qualifiers and possibly not make the Crucible...

This isn't like Tennis where all 4 Majors are equal. The World Champs is above all other tournaments. If we had 4 tournaments like the Worlds Champs, then 128 round for every player would make sense.

I also read somewhere he wants randomized draws from R128 as well. So if Murphy had his way you could end up with the world numbers 1 and 2 playing each other in a cubicle in the last 128 of the World Championship? <doh>

Murphy can be an utter plonker at times.

Postby davisfan

First time I've ever heard a snooker player - or at least, one who benefits by virtue of his ranking - bemoan the top 16 being automatically entered. And he reckons the non-seeds have an advantage?!

He needs to give Jimmy White a call and swap places. Everyone's happy then.

Postby Andre147

davisfan wrote:First time I've ever heard a snooker player - or at least, one who benefits by virtue of his ranking - bemoan the top 16 being automatically entered. And he reckons the non-seeds have an advantage?!

He needs to give Jimmy White a call and swap places. Everyone's happy then.

Yes I wouldn't mind that! Have Jimmy straight into the Crucible taking Murphy's place, and let Murphy have what he so wants! <ok>

Postby kolompar

Not really exciting matches tomorrow, the two women on stream plus Joe Perry playing an amateur, should be one-sided matches, and Mark King playing Paul Davison, which looks a really dull matchup.
Mei Xiwen v Akani looks good from the non-streamed matches.

Postby ScottCorno

Any kind islander care to suggest where my attention should be tomorrow morning at Ponds Forge?

Only done the qualifiers once before (2014) and was an easy choice watching Kyren Wilson.

TIA

Postby nice_shoes_ken

kolompar wrote:Not really exciting matches tomorrow, the two women on stream plus Joe Perry playing an amateur, should be one-sided matches, and Mark King playing Paul Davison, which looks a really dull matchup.
Mei Xiwen v Akani looks good from the non-streamed matches.

King vs Davison is a terrible pick, they'll probably get through six frames instead of nine.

Surprised they are not showing Machew vs Walker.

Postby Wildey

ScottCorno wrote:Any kind islander care to suggest where my attention should be tomorrow morning at Ponds Forge?

Only done the qualifiers once before (2014) and was an easy choice watching Kyren Wilson.

TIA

Stevens v Walker or Wakelin v Slessor

Postby TheSaviour

Jimmy will be in troubles against Jack the Ripper. It will be that type of a match. Some nice break-building abilities has that Jack.
So Ebbo plays against Wild lol. Weeellll Peter will easily win that one. And I can´t see Reanne deserving to be that much of an underdog against Hull, as the bookies odds suggests.. :td: Reanne has had some troubles to make any sizeable breaks but she necessarly won´t even have to against Robin. It could be "different" match. Where tactical playing decides. Potting a one red and one colour, then safety all day long. No room to pot anything, a horrendous position of the balls.

Just my guesses. But later it should get more interesting.

Postby ScottCorno

Wildey wrote:
ScottCorno wrote:Any kind islander care to suggest where my attention should be tomorrow morning at Ponds Forge?

TIA

Stevens v Walker or Wakelin v Slessor

<ok>

Postby eraserhead

OoNebsoO wrote:Was there last year a stream that jumped from table to table? If anyone finds it again, please post the link.

Haha you and me thinking the same, it was on world snookers youtube channel last year I think.

Postby OoNebsoO

eraserhead wrote:
OoNebsoO wrote:Was there last year a stream that jumped from table to table? If anyone finds it again, please post the link.

Haha you and me thinking the same, it was on world snookers youtube channel last year I think.

Heh, yeah. Shame about that Eurosport thing though.

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

Michaela Tabb‏ @MichaelaTabb
Making my own journey to Sheffield today, not for the World Championships just to work with World Champions! @SteveSnooker @SHendry775

:|

I have nothing against Snooker Legends, I really don't. I think there's a time and a place for it. And I went to see a Davis vs Hendry one a few years back.

But why are they having a snooker exhibition in Sheffield, at the same time that qualifiers for The Crucible are on? And why are fans going to it? Everybody bar the top-16 are trying to qualify for the biggest tournament of the year. If I lived in Sheffield, I'd be in the Pond's Forge every night after work. I wouldn't be going to Snooker Legends.

Could they not at least do it the day before qualifiers, or something? Give people who like snooker the opportunity to attend both?

Postby Wildey

eraserhead wrote:I'd like to see cameras on every table again like last year, but now eurosport have the rights it might be the standard two tables.

camera on every table happened in the final qualifying round Judgement day.

i was under the impression that Eurosport TV was showing world qualifiers that was the impression Barry Hearn gave when Eurosport took over qualifiers.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:camera on every table happened in the final qualifying round Judgement day.

i was under the impression that Eurosport TV was showing world qualifiers that was the impression Barry Hearn gave when Eurosport took over qualifiers.

I was too. Disappointed that they weren't.

You'd think they'd want to make that sort of thing clear, wouldn't you? Some customers may think twice about getting The Player, if they assumed the biggest qualifying tournament of the year was on TV proper.