Post a reply

Re: Race to the Crucible : Qualifying Round 1 (April 5th ~ 8

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerFan wrote:Reanne made it onto the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/39510641

Though, we do run the risk of over celebrating her success. She's only one won match. Two more to go.

Reanne describing it as her best ever win - can't deny that. An outstanding result!

That BBC article is incorrect when it states that she lost to NG On Yee in last years Ladies World Championship final. Reanne won the event last year!

Indeed, she's never lost a World final - her only 2 defeats ever in the Ladies were semi-final losses... :shrug:

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Reanne made it onto the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/39510641

Though, we do run the risk of over celebrating her success. She's only one won match. Two more to go.

Reanne describing it as her best ever win - can't deny that. An outstanding result!

That BBC article is incorrect when it states that she lost to NG On Yee in last years Ladies World Championship final. Reanne won the event last year!

Indeed, she's never lost a World final - her only 2 defeats ever in the Ladies were semi-final losses... :shrug:

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl Typical BBC expertise.

Though, to be fair to them, I didn't spot that mistake either. :emb:

Postby PoolBoy

So, that's 131 maximums now!
I'm thinking the season after next will see the 147th 147!

If there is to be a special large prize of £147,000, then it'll be fascinating once the total reaches 146!
Players will possibly be 'going for it' when ordinarily they'd be looking to at first secure the frame....

Go on, Hearn! - make it a huge pot! If not £147,000, then £100k....

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:So, that's 131 maximums now!

If there is to be a special large prize of £147,000, then it'll be fascinating once the total reaches 146!
Players will possibly be 'going for it' when ordinarily they'd be looking to at first secure the frame....

Never much cared for this massive prize for the 147 issue. I mean, it's just one frame won.

Yes, they are special. And yes, they are good to watch. Give them a prize by all meas. But £5 or £10k is fine by me. I always hated that a player could make a 147 in the first round of The Crucible, still lose, and get paid more for it than a player who was runner up in the entire tournament.

Postby SnookerEd25

PoolBoy wrote:So, that's 131 maximums now!

£147.00 & free entry to the Snooker shoot-out on ice more like :td:

Postby Andy Spark

I suspect that one of the main reasons that Hull lost was that he was very conscious of playing a woman, whereas Evans has played so many men now that she was only really conscious of playing an opponent.

Postby kolompar

Andy Spark wrote:I suspect that one of the main reasons that Hull lost was that he was very conscious of playing a woman, whereas Evans has played so many men now that she was only really conscious of playing an opponent.

Hull's lost his manhood now.

Postby Andy Spark

kolompar wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:I suspect that one of the main reasons that Hull lost was that he was very conscious of playing a woman, whereas Evans has played so many men now that she was only really conscious of playing an opponent.

Hull's lost his manhood now.

I wouldn't go that far...haha. But Hull was certainly aware that it would be a match that many would remark on if he was to lose. His play was relatively poor, as if he was burdened by that knowledge.

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:I wouldn't go that far...haha. But Hull was certainly aware that it would be a match that many would remark on if he was to lose. His play was relatively poor, as if he was burdened by that knowledge.

I don't see what difference it makes. Snooker is a game of skill, not a game of strength. There's no reason why men and women shouldn't play each other. There's certainly no more shame in losing to a woman than there is losing to another man, in my opinion.

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:I wouldn't go that far...haha. But Hull was certainly aware that it would be a match that many would remark on if he was to lose. His play was relatively poor, as if he was burdened by that knowledge.

I don't see what difference it makes. Snooker is a game of skill, not a game of strength. There's no reason why men and women shouldn't play each other. There's certainly no more shame in losing to a woman than there is losing to another man, in my opinion.

It shouldn't make a difference playing a woman, but then many things shouldn't make a difference but, depending on the person, do actually exert a psychological effect; and snooker is (after all!) very psychological. There must be some reason that Robin played quite poorly.

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:It shouldn't make a difference playing a woman, but then many things shouldn't make a difference but, depending on the person, do actually exert a psychological effect; and snooker is (after all!) very psychological. There must be some reason that Robin played quite poorly.

Because he's rubbish? rofl

Joking.

Maybe he was just feeling the pressure of qualifying for The Crucible. There is that. <ok>

Postby PoolBoy

The opponent is a crucial factor. It's impossible to just 'play the balls on the table' when you know who's sitting in the seat opposite, awaiting your mistake!

It would be very different if you had to disappear off-stage into a sound-proofed booth after each visit - without ever knowing who your opponent was.

You just return to the table - and all you know is the current score.
Would Wenbo have missed that black in the Masters under those circumstances?

I believe Reanne's pot success rate was only 79%. Hull was back at the table frequently, but I think he just got 'spooked'!

Postby Dan-cat

PoolBoy wrote:The opponent is a crucial factor. It's impossible to just 'play the balls on the table' when you know who's sitting in the seat opposite, awaiting your mistake!

It would be very different if you had to disappear off-stage into a sound-proofed booth after each visit - without ever knowing who your opponent was.

You just return to the table - and all you know is the current score. ...

This is funny idea. Imagine if it was Ronnie on Legend mode, the other guy would spend a lot of time in his sound proof booth, just nipping out to break!

Postby Cheshire Cat

Robin Hull is into his 40s and just enjoys being able to play, I imagine. Of course he'd like to play well and win, but his battles with illness off the table are well documented.

It's quite an inspirational history really, given the sheer severity of the illness he suffered.