Post a reply

Will the player who wins The China Open this year, also lift the World Championship?

Poll ended at 10 Apr 2017

Yes
4
29%
No
10
71%
 
Total votes : 14

The China Open curse

Postby SnookerFan

Will the player who wins The China Open this year, also lift the World Championship?

Please post your prediction.

Re: The China Open curse

Postby PoolBoy

I voted NO, simply because of the history.

The China Open is a significant ranking event, but because of its place on the 'Snooker Calendar' is often viewed more as a last opportunity to qualify for the Crucible / improve Sheffield seeding / try to stay on Tour etc.

Winning back-to-back-rankers is a rarity these days, so, I'll say the China Open winner will NOT then head to Sheffield and lift the big one!

Re: The China Open curse

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:I voted NO, simply because of the history.

The China Open is a significant ranking event, but because of its place on the 'Snooker Calendar' is often viewed more as a last opportunity to qualify for the Crucible / improve Sheffield seeding / try to stay on Tour etc.

Winning back-to-back-rankers is a rarity these days, so, I'll say the China Open winner will NOT then head to Sheffield and lift the big one!


:goodpost:

Re: The China Open curse

Postby Lucky

SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Selbo will win both easily.


Wrong alias.



pmsl

Re: The China Open curse

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Selbo will win both easily.


Wrong alias.


thought the same lol

Re: The China Open curse

Postby TheSaviour

But didn´t they all used to support the idea of winning any match is good?? And no jinxes?

A change then??

Re: The China Open curse

Postby Wildey

There is no definitely answer but they have a better chance than Most winning breeds confidence.

all this curse bullocks is what it is bullocks

Re: The China Open curse

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:There is no definitely answer but they have a better chance than Most winning breeds confidence.

all this curse bullocks is what it is bullocks


It's not bullocks, its a Curse, much like the Crucible one <cool>

Re: The China Open curse

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:There is no definitely answer but they have a better chance than Most winning breeds confidence.

all this curse bullocks is what it is bullocks


It's not bullocks, its a Curse, much like the Crucible one <cool>


It's not bullocks. It is bullocks.

Re: The China Open curse

Postby Andy Spark

Curses don't, of course, exist; but luck does. The real reason this situation is referred to as a "curse" is that commentators and pundits love stating opinions that either aren't backed up by any evidence whatsoever or, where there is data, it suggests the exact opposite of their idea. This is not usually a problem for them as they have highly developed evasive techniques based on the concept of ignorance.

Now, if these people feel they can't actually ignore the data that contradicts them, then rather than elucidating the mathematics of luck regarding limited sample size and applying rationality to the situation, they prefer to close their eyes and ears to analysis and turn it into a playful gothic riff on witches, warlocks and curses; before, presumably, retiring to read a Victorian sensation novel.

Re: The China Open curse

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:Andy Spark, are you The Saviour?


Thought the same when I read that post. pmsl

Re: The China Open curse

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:Andy Spark, are you The Saviour?

No. I don't actually understand most of The Saviour's posts because the grammar employed is at best challenging and at worst plain wrong. My posts are mostly grammaticaly accurate and I would suggest that if, as inferred by your post, you are struggling to understand them, then you should acquaint yourself with some choice morsels of Victorian English literature. Charles Dickens is a good start! I jest, of course. ;)

Re: The China Open curse

Postby Dan-cat

That was defo a Saviour-lite post. You're the Diet Coke Saviour.

Re: The China Open curse

Postby mick745

The real thing is that it is very difficult to win ANY back to back ranking titles. Add into the mix slightly less preparation time for the world's, slightly more added pressure from suddenly being the fancied player in form and it is not suprising this particular statistic exists.
I'd be interested to know how many back to back ranking titles have ever been won, let alone from tournaments just a couple of weeks apart.

Re: The China Open curse

Postby Andre147

mick745 wrote:The real thing is that it is very difficult to win ANY back to back ranking titles. Add into the mix slightly less preparation time for the world's, slightly more added pressure from suddenly being the fancied player in form and it is not suprising this particular statistic exists.
I'd be interested to know how many back to back ranking titles have ever been won, let alone from tournaments just a couple of weeks apart.


I think the main reason is the one you mentioned, it's difficult alone to win any back to ranking event titles, and, given the World Champs is the hardest of them all to win, it comes as no surprise the winner of the China Open never won the next event, the biggest of them all.

Trump came very very close in 2011, maybe if Selby wins this one he can win the Worlds, he would be one of the very few players I'd pick to do that.

Re: The China Open curse

Postby Andre147

But, last time Selby won the China Open, he was also the Worlds defending champion, and he lost in round 2 to McGill.