Post a reply

Re: Crucible Qualifiers 2017

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
Morinas77 wrote:What would be the best draw for the women to win a match?

Each other?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Postby Wildey

PoolBoy wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Not sure if I've ever heard of an Estonian snooker player before.

I'm not sure how 'seeded' the draw is, but it would be amazing if Reanne Evans and Ng On Yee got paired together!

players ranked 17-80 v 81-144

top 64 seeds will be fully seeded with no 17 playing no 80. 18 playing 79 etc etc in the second round

Postby TheSaviour

Who cares about Reanne anymore. Certainly there are some similarities between Hossein Vafaei and the late Alex Higgins. Their playing styles couldn´t be more different. But Hossein is still likely to get a huge support whenever and wherever he plays. He is lacking that much seriously the stark cue ball control for example. Just making it up playing just with a sheer natural talent. Obviously Alex always had his flaws and weaknesses also but he always had those straight lines and cannons. Which the crowd also loved. Like now they love that Hossein´s sheer single ball potting.

I have never before yelled that much than when I studied that Vafaei had beaten Joe Perry, Ben Woollaston and an in-form Judd Trump. Certainly he is great for the game. In a way no-one has been since Alex´s best playing years. But he will have an uphill struggle from now on to get even any results out there.
Last edited by TheSaviour on 03 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

TheSaviour wrote:Who cares about Reanne anymore. Certainly there are some similarities between Hossein Vafaei and the late Alex Higgins. Their playing styles couldn´t be more different.

Makes sense.

Postby Dannyboy

***UNOFFICIAL***

Based on Wikipedia and the seedings Wildey mentioned above, this is how the sections will be devised. WS may not place players in this positions, but they will play in the same groups anyway:

17 Mark Williams
80 John Astley
48 Yu Delu
49 Stuart Carrington
--------------------------
32 Tom Ford
65 Chris Wakelin
33 Matthew Selt
64 Hossein Vafaei
-------------------------
18 Martin Gould
79 Mei Xiwen
47 Mark Joyce
50 Andrew Higginson
31 Robert Milkins
66 Scott Donaldson
34 Mark Davis
63 Yan Bingtao
19 Joe Perry
78 Rhys Clark
46 Robbie Williams
51 David Grace
30 Luca Brecel
67 Joe Swail
35 Dominic Dale
62 Daniel Wells
20 David Gilbert
77 Jamie Burnett
45 Fergal O'Brien
52 Tian Pengfei
29 Graeme Dott
68 Dechawat Poomjaeng
36 Jamie Jones
61 Alfie Burden
21 Mark King
76 Zhang Anda
44 Xiao Guodong
53 Sam Baird
28 Ben Woollaston
69 Ken Doherty
37 Zhou Yuelong
60 Ian Burns
22 Ricky Walden
75 Martin O'Donnell
43 Kurt Maflin
54 Rory McLeod
27 Michael White
70 Ross Muir
38 Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
59 Gary Wilson
23 Michael Holt
74 Jamie Cope
42 Peter Ebdon
55 Jack Lisowski
39 Jimmy Robertson
58 Oliver Lines
26 Alan McManus
71 Rod Lawler
24 Stephen Maguire
73 Nigel Bond
41 Mike Dunn
56 Li Hang
25 Anthony Hamilton
72 Noppon Saengkham
40 Matthew Stevens
57 Robin Hull

Postby OoNebsoO

Draw is ongoing apparently.

MJW drew Zhao Xintong, who he already beat twice this season. Xintong has some nice wins though.

Some other pairings...

Highfield - Petrov
Carrington - Borg
Higginson - Georgiou
Ford - Bodle
Wakelin - Slessor
Selt - John
Hull - Reanne Evans
Stevens - Walker
Saengkam - Jak Jones
Hamilton - Steadman
Baird - Vallance
Woollaston - Totten
Poomjaeng - Chen Zhe
Dott - Allan Taylor
Yuelong - Keogan
Burns - Preece
Doherty - Weston
Burden - Duffy
Jamie Jones - Barrett

Postby aimlesswandeer

Good draws for Dott, Gould, Wollaston, Williams, White (Michael) and Gilbert, likely to be a lot of the usual suspects qualifying. At first glance Vafaei and Donaldson probably have the the best chance of making their debuts. Jimmy White in a tough section.

Postby SteveJJ

aimlesswandeer wrote:Good draws for Dott, Gould, Wollaston, Williams, White (Michael) and Gilbert, likely to be a lot of the usual suspects qualifying. At first glance Vafaei and Donaldson probably have the the best chance of making their debuts. Jimmy White in a tough section.

You say its a good draw for Gould but to qualify he'll have to beat the man who has never lost at this venue...and has played all the years its been here.

Postby PLtheRef

A quick look suggests there are some interesting sections of the draw with some groups tough to call.

Postby aimlesswandeer

SteveJJ wrote:
aimlesswandeer wrote:Good draws for Dott, Gould, Wollaston, Williams, White (Michael) and Gilbert, likely to be a lot of the usual suspects qualifying. At first glance Vafaei and Donaldson probably have the the best chance of making their debuts. Jimmy White in a tough section.

You say its a good draw for Gould but to qualify he'll have to beat the man who has never lost at this venue...and has played all the years its been here.

I still don't think he'll be unhappy with the draw. RW has been blessed with fairly kind draws previously, with Holt and a pre-renaissance Hamilton about as tough as it's been.

Postby Vallomas

Vafaei has a really good chance to wualify against Selt and Ford. Mark Williams was really unlucky, but I can't see Zhao beating him in a best of 19 match.

Jimmy's draw is tough, for sure, but could be tougher. He needs a good start in the match and then anything can happen.

Postby Dannyboy

Jimmy having to beat Lisowski, Ebdon and Holt to get to the Crucible potentially. Very tough, if impossible for him.

Postby PLtheRef

Dannyboy wrote:Jimmy having to beat Lisowski, Ebdon and Holt to get to the Crucible potentially. Very tough, if impossible for him.

Very tough but who do you think would be the one most likely to beat him?

Yes it's extremely tough but he can certainly beat all three. He's experienced enough to be able to deal with Ebdon.

Postby Vallomas

PLtheRef wrote:
Dannyboy wrote:Jimmy having to beat Lisowski, Ebdon and Holt to get to the Crucible potentially. Very tough, if impossible for him.

Very tough but who do you think would be the one most likely to beat him?

Yes it's extremely tough but he can certainly beat all three. He's experienced enough to be able to deal with Ebdon.

I don't really think that Jimmy can win three matches, but I would like to see him saving his tour place. One win could be enough for that. That's why I said that Lisowski is not the worst draw he could have in the 1st round.

From the top 32 players I also think that Maguire has maybe the easiest draw. Mark Williams doesn't have a real threat also, if he escapes the tricky first game against Zhao. Hamilton has maybe the most difficult draw, Steadman and the possible opponents on the next rounds are all dangerous.

Postby SnookerFan

It'd be good if Selby got Mark Williams, in a rematch of that final yesterday.

Or if he gets Ryan Day in a "You Beat Me Into The Top-16" Grudge Match.

I meant, should he qualify. Obviously.

Postby PoolBoy

I see that the only pros not to enter - apart from the still suspended Leo Fernandez - were Jamie Burnett and Rouzi Maimaiti.

The 2 players invited to take their place are Adam Stefanow and Andy Hicks.
Hicks has been drawn against Mike Dunn - that's a tough draw for Dunn!

Unless Jamie Burnett has an unpublicised illness/injury, it would be safe to assume he's definitely quit.
And, as for Rouzi Maimaiti, he's not entered anything at all this season and is effectively taking up a Tour slot...but he's still got a card for next season!

Postby SnookerEd25

PoolBoy wrote:I see that the only pros not to enter - apart from the still suspended Leo Fernandez - were Jamie Burnett and Rouzi Maimaiti.

The 2 players invited to take their place are Adam Stefanow and Andy Hicks.
Hicks has been drawn against Mike Dunn - that's a tough draw for Dunn!

Unless Jamie Burnett has an unpublicised illness/injury, it would be safe to assume he's definitely quit.
And, as for Rouzi Maimaiti, he's not entered anything at all this season and is effectively taking up a Tour slot...but he's still got a card for next season!

I believe Maimaiti has had the dreaded 'visa issues'...

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:They should let Andrew Pagett in. He's done nothing but moan about it on Twitter.

Ha ha, they should have told him he was in on Saturday morning... rofl rofl rofl

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Crucible qualifiers are the second best event of the season, some cracking looking sections this year.

King, Zhang, Xiao & Baird.
Bingtao, Mavis, Mann, Donaldson & Milkins.

Tasty.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:It'd be good if Selby got Mark Williams, in a rematch of that final yesterday.

Or if he gets Ryan Day in a "You Beat Me Into The Top-16" Grudge Match.

I meant, should he qualify. Obviously.

I'd fancy MJW to beat Selby in a first round of the Worlds.