Post a reply

Who will win the World Championship in 2017?

Stuart Bingham
5%
Joe Perry
No votes
Barry Hawkins
5%
Martin Gould
No votes
Alan McManus
5%
Michael Holt
5%
Mark King
No votes
Dominic Dale
14%
Anthony Hamilton
19%
Other (Please State)
48%

Total votes : 21

Re: 2017 World Championship - who will win?

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Are we doing a Watch thread this year?

Marco Fu Watch thread <ok>

Any reason why?

In the first time, we were watching how Reanne Evans progressed. Next season, Ding dropped out of the top-16, so we kept our eye on how he did.

This season?

To see how Fu's watch fares in the World Championships. <ok>

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:To see how Fu's watch fares in the World Championships. <ok>

rofl rofl rofl

It should start with someone in the first round of qualifying like previous years.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:To see how Fu's watch fares in the World Championships. <ok>

rofl rofl rofl

It should start with someone in the first round of qualifying like previous years.

I agree.

Last year Ding got to the final. It never changed.

Postby SnookerEd25

I nominate Anthony Hamilton.

Given his improved form this season, and the fact he hasn't made the Crucible since 2008 (to give you an idea of how long that is - Steve Davis was no.15 seed that year!), i'll be keeping an eye on his progress; had he just 1 match to win to qualify, I have no doubt he'd make it, but 3 gruelling BO19s in a short space of time could trip anyone up.

I have a feeling the qualifiers will be a bloodbath this year - and I'm rubbing my hands in anticipation...

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:Recent ranking event winner.

Any objection to Anthony Hamilton?

Certainly not me. <ok>

And he's a player I'd love to make it to the Crucible again, but I do agree that 3 Bo19 matches can catch anyone out, no player, no matter how good he is, is "safe" in that gruelling environment, and I include Ronnie in that list if he did have to qualify, but he's already assured of his place at The Crucible.

I think, it's the most tense atmosphere you could wish to have in Snooker, so much at stake.

Postby Andre147

SnookerEd25 wrote:
I have a feeling the qualifiers will be a bloodbath this year - and I'm rubbing my hands in anticipation...

To be fair we always say that every year don't we <laugh>

Same as when I hear the players saying: oh this year the tournament is the most open I've seen...

I've heard this since I started watching Snooker lol...

Postby GJ

Got Kyren at 66/1 for the title hope he can improve on last year.

Will add Neil and Ants next week

Good luck

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Been a bloody while since I logged in here.

Trump or Hawkins to win this year, planned to meet in the Quarters I believe, if it comes off, whoever wins that will surely make the final.

Top half is stacked, impossible to call.

I'll go with a Selby vs Trump/Hawkins final with Trump or Barry finally coming out on top.

Postby Andre147

nice_shoes_ken wrote:Been a bloody while since I logged in here.

Trump or Hawkins to win this year, planned to meet in the Quarters I believe, if it comes off, whoever wins that will surely make the final.

I'll go with a Selby vs Trump/Hawkins final with Trump or Barry finally coming out on top.

Yes you used to be a regular poster here, nice to hear from you :hatoff:

Hawkins is a good shout no doubt. Regarding Trump, I have doubts in his killer instinct to become World Champion.

Postby SnookerFan

Bloody hell. Nice Shoes Ken. :hatoff:

I just looked at your posts. Last time you posted was the Ronnie vs Selby final. :shock:

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Andre147 wrote:

Yes you used to be a regular poster here, nice to hear from you :hatoff:

Hawkins is a good shout no doubt. Regarding Trump, I have doubts in his killer instinct to become World Champion.

2014 my last post, not good enough.

Bottom half has opened up for Trump & Hawkins, perfect opportunity for either. Higgins & Bingham of course capable but not expecting them to threaten. Wilson & McGill could both easily have good runs, but still a bit too early for them I think.

Judd is playing well enough, but we've said that before leading into World Championships. I believe he is more ready, but then again he's been a let down before too.

Postby nice_shoes_ken

SnookerFan wrote:

Bloody hell. Nice Shoes Ken. :hatoff:

I just looked at your posts. Last time you posted was the Ronnie vs Selby final. :shock:

:wave:

I'm only back for the World Snooker Championship qualifiers predictions, need to get my crown back.

Postby PLtheRef

Muppet147 wrote:I don't think Trump will ever win the world title.

Unfortunately, Selby will probably win it.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. It's hard enough to win the World Championship, let alone win it twice, but it's proven even harder to defend it, with only three men ever having achieved it.
Last edited by PLtheRef on 03 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby eraserhead

Judd will win it one day I feel purely because there's time on his side and not many younger players threatening, but he could have already been a potential world champion twice.

Postby eraserhead

PLtheRef wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure of that. It's hard enough to win the World Championship, let alone win it twice, but it's proven even harder to defend it, with only two men ever having achieved it.

Three isn't it?

Davis, Hendry and Ronnie

Postby PLtheRef

eraserhead wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure of that. It's hard enough to win the World Championship, let alone win it twice, but it's proven even harder to defend it, with only three men ever having achieved it.

Three isn't it?

Davis, Hendry and Ronnie

That's what I put! ;-)

Postby PoolBoy

Ronnie for me!
I can see him playing himself into destructive form over the fortnight.
It'll take an awesome performance from an opponent to derail The Rocket over these longer matches.

Postby Andre147

PoolBoy wrote:Ronnie for me!
I can see him playing himself into destructive form over the fortnight.
It'll take an awesome performance from an opponent to derail The Rocket over these longer matches.

You serious? Or do I sense some irony there?

I'll only start believing he can win it if he reaches the Semis. Since 2013, he's yet to play destructive Snooker there. He reached the Final in 2014 but not the A game Ronnie.

Postby GJ

I think Kyren will have learned a lot from last year and he returned to form in china open, hes a big time player and I think he will go deep.

He has been there twice so I think he has enough experience of the venue.

Postby GJ

On Robbo not sure what to expect but hes proved me wrong time and time again so you never know.

Postby eraserhead

GJ wrote:I think Kyren will have learned a lot from last year and he returned to form in china open, hes a big time player and I think he will go deep.

He has been there twice so I think he has enough experience of the venue.

Agree with this to an extent, looked very good at times in the China open. Hopefully in the next couple of years he can build on the big match experience and become a real challenger for trophies.

For me, I don't think it will be Ding's year but he's starting to look better after the loss in his family, just hope he doesn't go out first round. :roll:

Postby vodkadiet

Hawkins is proven at the venue and I say has a decent chance.

Robertson is about ready to produce a big performance and could come in under the radar.