Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:what the buck is all this bullocks andre ronnie fans also think if you like say feral you can't be a snooker fan because he's slow.

what a load of bucking bullocks.

I'm sorry mate but it is fact most of that sort of idiotic bullocks unfortunately for Ronnie and most of his fans come from his hangers on of which there are a lot on this forum.

I think you've misinterpreted Andre's point Wilfey.

For what it's worth, attacking play isn't the only reason I like Ronnie. Higgins is an attacking player but I don't find him particularly good to watch. It's something about the way Ronnie carries himself round the table and how he plays his shots rather than the attacking play on its own.

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre made a very fair point and I could absolutely see where he was coming from.

I mean who here has derided a person as not being a true snooker fan because they happen to have Selby, Higgins or Fergal O'Brien as their favourite player?

I've never seen it. Here or anywhere else for that matter.

And yet I've seen it plenty of times when Ronnie is concerned. His supporters regularly get labeled as casuals, fans who only appreciate a certain type of snooker. Ronnie fan first, snooker fan second or some other such nonsense. Basically, not true fans of snooker, in other words.

From my own point of view, I like fast, attacking snooker. I prefer players who play the way Ronnie does and I make no apologies for that. Of course in the eyes of some that would make me a casual, someone who is not a true snooker fan. Now flip that the other way round and I'd said I prefer the more tactical, grinding snooker with frames regularly lasting half an hour or more instead. Would I have had all those labels thrown at me? Not in a million years.

I mean I've seen many posts on here over the years saying how they enjoy tactical frames that go down to the colours, and how they find big breaks, one-visit snooker boring. Where is the consternation then? Why are these people not lambasted as casuals, not true fans of snooker? It never happens.

It's annoying, but that's just how it is I suppose. Snobbery and double standards exist everywhere.


This is precisely what I was trying to say and Wild failed or simply didnt want to understand.

He'll probably say Ronnie fans deserve what they get, but this like you say doesnt justify the double standards.

I dont lie, fast free flowing snooker is by far what I most enjoy, but also like the tactical side of the game, which according to them you cant be a true snooker fan because of that, which is just a load of bullocks.

Just wish some of those fans had the balls to admit they are like the others.

andre i know exactly what you mean and still think it's a load of bull. no surprise at all that cloud Strife agreed he's full of bull every post.there will always be people that dislikes ronnie but only idiot that can't appreciate him for what he is and to say people aren't fans if they appreciate ronnie is bullocks in exactly the same way if they like Selby o'brief or McLead. to be a true fan you don't have to like everyone but appreciate the verity that snooker is. unfortunately ronnie fans (not all) above everyone else are almost incapable of doing that sorry.

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby SnookerFan

Personally, I've never really understood this whole Ronnie vs Selby debate.

I understand that they play two different styles, but I've never been really been of the attitude that your opinion of one player should shape or influence your opinion of another.

I don't like Ronnie, and have explained my reasons before. A lot of it is down to his silly shenanigans in the past. Not his play. I find it difficult to difficult to root for a player in a sport, that I can't engage with as a person. That's got nothing to do with his style, and I've never said he wasn't one of the best of all time. Maybe the best. I'll freely acknowledge that, and try to acknowledge when he does something well. (Like looking after Ding at the 2007 Masters, or his sportsmanship against the same player on losing at The Crucible this year.)

Why any of that has got anything to do with Selby, is beyond me. I was happy when Selby won his first World Crown because it was something different. (And also watching that guy, I forget his name, go on about bunnies and then lose his mind was quite funny.) But the last couple of years, I've wanted Ding to win. In 2016, I wanted Fu to beat Selby so we could have a Ding vs Fu final. This year, I wanted Ding to beat Selby so he could go on to win his first World Title. And was kind of supporting Higgins in the final, for no particular reason. Just felt I wanted him to win.

Point is, though I do quite like Selby on occasion, I'm not some rampant Selby fanboy, just because I dislike Ronnie. I really don't like the idea we all have to argue and fall out, in the name of one player or another. There are players other than just Ronnie and Selby. We should all agree that we can be fans of one, both or neither of these two players. There are Ronnie fans who support only Ronnie, and are a bit thick or a bit thuggish about it. But there are also Selby fans who get a bit sanctimonious talking about "proper snooker".

I've fallen into this trap myself, too. I'll hold myself up. In The Masters final thread this year, I'd had a bit of a drink, and was complaining at what I perceived as people saying Ronnie would never win another trophy in his career. I got a bit arsey, and felt bad afterwards. And I'm not even entirely sure people were saying that. So I'm not perfect. I include myself in this criticism at times.

But I've always endeavored to have a laugh on this site, and enjoy the snooker. We'll all have different people were like and root for. And that's fine. I just think, we shouldn't pick two players, both who are obviously great, but for different reasons, and use that to that to create arguments over nothing. We're not a football crowd.

And also remember, there are lot of great players out there. Ronnie and Selby aren't the be all and end all of snooker, no matter how great they both are.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 18 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby Wildey

Back in the 80s my two favorites was Alex Higgins and Cliff Thorburn you couldn't get more of a contrast if you tried and they disliked each other with a passion but that did not shape my opinion of either.

these days though it seems you have to be in one or another side which is a load of crap.

Ronnie's fans are their own worst enemy because they create this rift and when others bite back they dont like it

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:Ronnie's fans are their own worst enemy because they create this rift and when others bite back they dont like it

A lot of what you're saying makes sense, but saying that the people sneering at O'Sullivan are 'biting back' makes them sound a bit heroic.

Dicks being dicks to dicks are still dicks.

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:
Wildey wrote:Ronnie's fans are their own worst enemy because they create this rift and when others bite back they dont like it

A lot of what you're saying makes sense, but saying that the people sneering at O'Sullivan are 'biting back' makes them sound a bit heroic.

Dicks being dicks to dicks are still dicks.

The point is the stick selby gets when hes winning is only equaled by the stick Trump gets or Robbo gets when they are winning.


there is a pattern here and facts states when fans of a certain rocket feels threatened in any way shape or form by another they hit out on here or social media.

and then it gets messy and mud slinging from all directions.

Selby v Higgins was worst possible final for some Now even Selby is in touching distance of 5 WC.

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Wildey wrote:Ronnie's fans are their own worst enemy because they create this rift and when others bite back they dont like it

A lot of what you're saying makes sense, but saying that the people sneering at O'Sullivan are 'biting back' makes them sound a bit heroic.

Dicks being dicks to dicks are still dicks.

The point is the stick selby gets when hes winning is only equaled by the stick Trump gets or Robbo gets when they are winning.


there is a pattern here and facts states when fans of a certain rocket feels threatened in any way shape or form by another they hit out on here or social media.

and then it gets messy and mud slinging from all directions.

Selby v Higgins was worst possible final for some Now even Selby is in touching distance of 5 WC.


Disagree. O'Sullivan has always gotten the most stick at all times, no contest. Don't get me wrong, Selby gets a lot, but nothing compared to O'Sullivan.

Point is, it's nonsense to say that those fans who would love to roger O'Sullivan aren't proper snooker fans. Why aren't they? Do they just like O'Sullivan because he has nice hair? No, it's because they love his style of play. They are bucking idiots, but they're not non-snooker fans. They like seeing snooker played in a certain way, and while that doesn't sit well with you or I, they're entitled to their opinion.

Some fans on here sneer at that type of play and insist on safety and hour-long frames. A lot of those fans bask in Ronnie defeats, make little of his achievements, and little of similar-type players. But nobody calls them out. Surely they're as much non-fans as those Sullivan-loving basketcases if we're to be consistent about it? And they're not as few in number as you make out.

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Wildey wrote:Ronnie's fans are their own worst enemy because they create this rift and when others bite back they dont like it

A lot of what you're saying makes sense, but saying that the people sneering at O'Sullivan are 'biting back' makes them sound a bit heroic.

Dicks being dicks to dicks are still dicks.

The point is the stick selby gets when hes winning is only equaled by the stick Trump gets or Robbo gets when they are winning.


there is a pattern here and facts states when fans of a certain rocket feels threatened in any way shape or form by another they hit out on here or social media.

and then it gets messy and mud slinging from all directions.

Selby v Higgins was worst possible final for some Now even Selby is in touching distance of 5 WC.


Selby got stick even when he wasn't winning. That'll amplify now that he's the leading force in snooker. So you better get used to the stick. <ok>

Trump's gotten stick from all or most quarters, not just Ronnie fans. That includes stick from Selby fans, are you going to have a go at them too? I can understand it with Trump because he can seem abit arrogant at times and that will inevitably rub people up the wrong way. My own personal frustration with him comes from his inability to fulfil his potential. He should be the one to takeover the mantle from Ronnie, but it just hasn't happened for whatever reason. It doesn't help that he keeps losing to players who shouldn't even be in the same room as him.

As for Robertson, he has an annoying, grating personality which is disliked by many. Plus he's an Aussie.

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Wildey wrote:Ronnie's fans are their own worst enemy because they create this rift and when others bite back they dont like it

A lot of what you're saying makes sense, but saying that the people sneering at O'Sullivan are 'biting back' makes them sound a bit heroic.

Dicks being dicks to dicks are still dicks.

The point is the stick selby gets when hes winning is only equaled by the stick Trump gets or Robbo gets when they are winning.


there is a pattern here and facts states when fans of a certain rocket feels threatened in any way shape or form by another they hit out on here or social media.

and then it gets messy and mud slinging from all directions.

Selby v Higgins was worst possible final for some Now even Selby is in touching distance of 5 WC.


Disagree. O'Sullivan has always gotten the most stick at all times, no contest. Don't get me wrong, Selby gets a lot, but nothing compared to O'Sullivan.

Point is, it's nonsense to say that those fans who would love to roger O'Sullivan aren't proper snooker fans. Why aren't they? Do they just like O'Sullivan because he has nice hair? No, it's because they love his style of play. They are bucking idiots, but they're not non-snooker fans. They like seeing snooker played in a certain way, and while that doesn't sit well with you or I, they're entitled to their opinion.

Some fans on here sneer at that type of play and insist on safety and hour-long frames. A lot of those fans bask in Ronnie defeats, make little of his achievements, and little of similar-type players. But nobody calls them out. Surely they're as much non-fans as those Sullivan-loving basketcases if we're to be consistent about it? And they're not as few in number as you make out.

i know im right so lets not kid anyone <ok>

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby Pink Ball

So there's nothing wrong with not appreciating Ronnie O'Sullivan but there is something wrong with not appreciating Mark Selby?

You haven't been this wide of the mark since that time you promised you'd stick a daffodil up your ass if Sullivan won the 2013 World Championship.

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby Holden Chinaski

O'Sullivan gets more stick than any other player... And his fans as well. Of course, Ronnie has a lot more fans than any other player, so there are going to be some hammer.s as well. But most Ronnie fans are real snooker fans.

All the greats are Ronnie fans as well. Mark Selby himself has said in interviews Ronnie was his hero when he was young. Selby was a Ronnie fan FFS!

If you like the game of snooker, how can you not love the way Ronnie plays? It's like loving classical music but hating Bach, Mozart and Beethoven.... and saying the people who love Bach are not real music lovers... <doh>

"Ronnie's the only player out there who I would pay money for to watch him play." - Stephen Hendry

I guess Mark Selby and Stephen Hendry aren't real snooker lovers. Ray Reardon isn't either.

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby Wildey

I Must be watching a parallel snooker island where Ronnie gets stick


yes he gets stick but the stick he gets is because he does stupid things and says stupid things .


that is self inflicted

other players like selby gets stick for wanting to win a match at all cost or Robbo for coughing <doh> <doh>

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby Jester82

Holden Chinaski wrote:O'Sullivan gets more stick than any other player... And his fans as well. Of course, Ronnie has a lot more fans than any other player, so there are going to be some hammer.s as well. But most Ronnie fans are real snooker fans.

All the greats are Ronnie fans as well. Mark Selby himself has said in interviews Ronnie was his hero when he was young. Selby was a Ronnie fan FFS!

If you like the game of snooker, how can you not love the way Ronnie plays? It's like loving classical music but hating Bach, Mozart and Beethoven.... and saying the people who love Bach are not real music lovers... <doh>

"Ronnie's the only player out there who I would pay money for to watch him play." - Stephen Hendry

I guess Mark Selby and Stephen Hendry aren't real snooker lovers. Ray Reardon isn't either.


Why would you insult these great masterminds Beethoven Mozart and Bach by comparing them to O'Sullivan, a man that is- NOT around the snooker table- a complete Corbynista nutjob??!! I have read some of his twitter feed.

Come on....ROS has attracted some wackjobs which is not his fault, just like Chelsea Arsenal or any other football teams appeal to idiots. Nobody has denied that he has snooker loving fans, but it's quite a bit telling when Ronnie disciples run away just when ROS gets knocked out the WSC. As if Snooker was suffering when the precious does not pot his opponents off the table.

At some point it just gets annoying...

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby Badsnookerplayer

How the hell can you compare Bach with Mozart and Beethoven?

Bach composed during a much easier era and as such must be eliminated from ant GOAT discussion. That's the trouble with Mozart fans - they expect quickfire concerto's and exciting finishes. Just what do people have against Beethoven - I have heard people refer to him as a 'grinder' but he does what he needs to do to be No.1. There is no way that any of the modern composers could live with the 'golden generation'.

I think that Mozart vs Beethoven in the Vienna Open 1785 proved what we all know - that Mozart was Beethoven's bunny.

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby Holden Chinaski

Mozart was a great break builder but he was mentally weak. Beethoven was a real grinder with a great safety game but he had a bad temper. I think it's safe to say Bach is the GOAT. With his all round game and winner mentality he would dominate in any era.

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby TheSaviour

Well the Germans or the Germanic tribes have never not done anything singnificant other than they defeated the Romans and ended their rule. So I can´t see the point of using these mid-european composers as a some sort of role models. It is an utter rubbish whether it is Bach, Beethoven or Mozart.

I would much rather compare top snooker players to the doctors or so.. Some people have begin to admit that Selby, Ronnie, Hendry or so never can get rid of that labelling. The similarities are just such. It takes a rock solid reasoning, the braveness, the discipline, the self-critics, and yes, even that nice solid touch and hands. And yes, even some other people than the top snooker players have those abilities.

Germany expanded its colonial empire to rival the British in Africa but that´s all. These days they name a pizza after Otto von Bismarck (the "Iron Chancellor)" . Perhaps it is so because you need to have a steely physical shape to eat that as a breakfast with all the eggs and suchs in it. But the Spanish and the French used to rule the most amazing places on earth. You could never tell how they did had such a powers.

These days it is the caffeine that rules the world.

So these hot discussions are once again up and running now when Ronnie has his coffee businesses. And does it really matter if he makes it big time or not...??

It is just I was about to ask some questions from some other top players.. They just sort of a suddenly just dissappeared. Perhaps this policy of on daily basis giving them a factual base critics has now started to rack up rofl rofl rofl rofl. But it is a good policy because it is always a factual based.

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:How the hell can you compare Bach with Mozart and Beethoven?

Bach composed during a much easier era and as such must be eliminated from ant GOAT discussion. That's the trouble with Mozart fans - they expect quickfire concerto's and exciting finishes. Just what do people have against Beethoven - I have heard people refer to him as a 'grinder' but he does what he needs to do to be No.1. There is no way that any of the modern composers could live with the 'golden generation'.

I think that Mozart vs Beethoven in the Vienna Open 1785 proved what we all know - that Mozart was Beethoven's bunny.


Hahaha ace :)