Post a reply

Re: Ladbrokes Players Championship last 16!!!

Postby Andy Spark

The stats show 100% safety success both sides and the commentators believe it without questioning the idea that it might, just might not be correct!

Postby eraserhead

Johnny Bravo wrote:Ronnie played some good safety in the past few exchanges

Worst aspect of Ronnie's game right now is catching the balk colours imo, and anyone decent at distance catches him out.

Postby Andy Spark

Johnny Bravo wrote:Ronnie played some good safety in the past few exchanges

So far his positional play is vintage O'Sullivan, which is certainly helping his safety play.

Postby PoolBoy

I see that the 16 players involved in this have a guaranteed £10,000 added to their ranking score - just for turning-up!

Ryan Day made the tournament by a few thousand quid ahead of Joe Perry, but in just making it, Day now enjoys a significantly healthier lead over Perry.

Effectively, it's like saying, come the 6th March, the top 16 earners in the season will then all be topped-up with a further 10,000 points, while those ranked 17-128 will be awarded nothing.

Looks very much like the players at this are going to be the 16 seeds for The Crucible, with all the rest facing 3 qualifiers to join them.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andy Spark wrote:The stats show 100% safety success both sides and the commentators believe it without questioning the idea that it might, just might not be correct!

Stats don't always tell the full story. For instance, you can have:
- player A that goes for 10 long pots, some of them from tough angles (where you have to play with inside English), and gets 5 of them.
- player B that only goes for 3 long pots, with natural angle to return the cue into baulk in case he misses, and gets 2 of them.
Now, player A will have a 50 % long pot success, while player B will have a 75% long pot success.
Now these stats don't necessarily mean player B is the better long potter, does it ?

Postby Andy Spark

PoolBoy wrote:I see that the 16 players involved in this have a guaranteed £10,000 added to their ranking score - just for turning-up!

Ryan Day made the tournament by a few thousand quid ahead of Joe Perry, but in just making it, Day now enjoys a significantly healthier lead over Perry.

Effectively, it's like saying, come the 6th March, the top 16 earners in the season will then all be topped-up with a further 10,000 points, while those ranked 17-128 will be awarded nothing.

Looks very much like the players at this are going to be the 16 seeds for The Crucible, with all the rest facing 3 qualifiers to join them.
It certainly doesn't look fair! Also it refutes the whole argument constantly given about why the Masters is not a ranking event.

Postby PoolBoy

Andy Spark wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:I see that the 16 players involved in this have a guaranteed £10,000 added to their ranking score - just for turning-up!

It certainly doesn't look fair! Also it refutes the whole argument constantly given about why the Masters is not a ranking event.

Totally agree with you!

Postby Andy Spark

Johnny Bravo wrote:Stats don't always tell the full story. For instance, you can have:
- player A that goes for 10 long pots, some of them from tough angles (where you have to play with inside English), and gets 5 of them.
- player B that only goes for 3 long pots, with natural angle to return the cue into baulk in case he misses, and gets 2 of them.
Now, player A will have a 50 % long pot success, while player B will have a 75% long pot success.
Now these stats don't necessarily mean player B is the better long potter, does it ?
yeah, I doubted the stat when I first saw it actually, but I can see how it might be true. The main problem with the stats they give seems to me to be the fact that they are essentially ratios of two pieces of data, both of which are important in their own right but aren't given. There is a case for giving the two pieces of data on the screen as they must have them anyway to work out the ratio.

Postby eraserhead

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Stu struggling with form though he won the Welsh he was not at his best there either. grit and determination got him the trophy in the end.

Both players struggled in that final it has to be said, Stu just managed to take the final chance.

Postby PLtheRef

masterdoctorgenius wrote:bo9. Am i dreaming?

i thought they play bo7 till semis.

Happy days.

I'm sure they'll correct it in time

It's 9 to the semifinals which are 11 before the usual 19 final

Postby PLtheRef

This seems to be the kind of event that is going to be more of O'Sullivan's taste. Fewer matches and not all of them long fixtures

Postby Johnny Bravo

PLtheRef wrote:This seems to be the kind of event that is going to be more of O'Sullivan's taste. Fewer matches and not all of them long fixtures

Those silly best of 7 matches that Hearn has put into place don't do snooker any good. Plus they tend to favour the weaker players.

Postby TheRocket

This should be in the Top 3 of Ronnie best performances this season.

It's a pity there hasn't been many this season it has to be said. But if he starts playing like this from now on , things look good for the World Championship

Postby Incident on 57th street 20

TheRocket wrote:This should be in the Top 3 of Ronnie best performances this season.

It's a pity there hasn't been many this season it has to be said. But if he starts playing like this from now on , things look good for the World Championship

I agree. Great performance.

Tonight he played as in the first rounds at the uk.

Postby GJ

Ronnies interviews are comedy gold

<laugh> rofl

The face of foulds and Hendo <laugh>

Postby GJ

Iranu wrote:
GJ wrote:Ronnies interviews are comedy gold

<laugh> rofl

The face of foulds and Hendo <laugh>

What was he saying?

And long time no see!

He just ignored their questions about the match and was going on about running and how he wanted to get back to Liverpool as soon as possible <laugh>