Post a reply

Re: Coral Welsh Open Quarter Finals !!!!!

Postby vodkadiet

Garbage players like Donaldson and Carrington are in the semis and quarters because there are too many tournaments now. The whole tour is diluted and where the Welsh Open was quite a big event a few years ago it is now just another instantly forgettable event.

These best of 7s are just pathetic. It is just a results factory now.

Snooker needs to 'drain the swamp'. I cannot believe I have just quoted the most absurd elected US President ever, but it seems to be topical with regards to the snooker tour these days.

Carrington shouldn't even be on the tour. He is terrible.
Last edited by vodkadiet on 17 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby kolompar

Can't believe how lucky Bingham's got, he only had to play a top 16 player twice to reach his 4 ranking semis this season and now he could get to a final with world number 32 Milkins the highest ranked player he could have to beat.

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:Garbage players like Donaldson and Carrington are in the semis and quarters because there is too many tournaments now. The whole tour is diluted and where the Welsh Open was quite a big event a few years ago it is now just another instantly forgettable event.

Snooker needs to 'drain the swamp'. I cannot believe I have just quoted the most absurd elected US President ever, but it seems to be topical with regards to the snooker tour these days.

its been a great event with stories yes these best of 7s getting on my nerves but it doesent detract from the tournament.

every player is garbage until a breakthrough just look at Shaun Murphy 7 years a pro and still 48th when he became World Champion.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:I'd rather watch a hundred year old Anthony Hamilton or Mark King than this guy Stuart Carrington.

dont bucking watch then and buck off out

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:I'd rather watch a hundred year old Anthony Hamilton or Mark King than this guy Stuart Carrington.

dont bucking watch then and buck off out

I've changed channel. :wave:

Postby vodkadiet

I used to like watching the semis of The Welsh when the event had more importance attached to it. I will watch Bingham vs Milkins/Maflin but I won't bother watching Trump trounce Donaldson. I will get the groceries in instead.

Postby vodkadiet

I also find Donaldson and Carrington to be very, very, boring in terms of their play and their personalities. It isn't their fault but they really awfully dull.
Last edited by vodkadiet on 17 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:I also find Donaldson and Carrington to be very, very, boring in terms of their play and their personalities. It isn't their fault but they really like awfully dull.

i dont care id rather boring 20 somethings at this stage than exciting old farts.

Postby Iranu

vodkadiet wrote:Garbage players like Donaldson and Carrington are in the semis and quarters because there are too many tournaments now. The whole tour is diluted and where the Welsh Open was quite a big event a few years ago it is now just another instantly forgettable event.

Players don't have to enter every event, and the top players more than most have the luxury of not entering without worrying about finances.

The busy schedule is nothing but a poor excuse. Carrington and Donaldson are where they are because they beat the players in front of them, that's the end of it. If the standard has fallen (and I believe it has) that has buck all to do with the tournament schedule.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:I also find Donaldson and Carrington to be very, very, boring in terms of their play and their personalities. It isn't their fault but they really like awfully dull.

i dont care id rather boring 20 somethings at this stage than exciting old farts.

I see the point you're making, but if the future of the sport is boring, surely the present is preferable?

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:

I see the point you're making, but if the future of the sport is boring, surely the present is preferable?

point is i see neither boring...and a lot of people love to see young players breaking through and that adds excitement to the tour and tournaments if vodkadiet likes it or not i dont give a buck.

Postby Wildey

going back to the 90s who remembers Euan Henderson reaching a ranking final what about Billy snaddon or nick pearce reaching a semi....Scott Donaldson and Stuart Carrington is better than any of them

Postby TheRocket

We need more multi session rankers. It's poor to only have one single tournament (which is obviously the most important one) which has multi session format from round one.

Imo 12 or 13 rankers which includes 2-3 multi session tournaments is better than having 20 rankers with a lot of bo7 stuff.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:going back to the 90s who remembers Euan Henderson reaching a ranking final what about Billy snaddon or nick pearce reaching a semi....Scott Donaldson and Stuart Carrington is better than any of them

The early 90s was an awful era, just as bad as this one.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:We need more multi session rankers. It's poor to only have one single tournament (which is obviously the most important one) which has multi session format from round one.

Imo 12 or 13 rankers which includes 2-3 multi session tournaments is better than having 20 rankers with a lot of bo7 stuff.

totally agree with that its ridiculous how one dimensional the tour is with best of 7s

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:We need more multi session rankers. It's poor to only have one single tournament (which is obviously the most important one) which has multi session format from round one.

Well with Hearn insisting on 128 draws for every tournament the chances of another multi-session ranker is almost nil.

Postby vodkadiet

The UK has to return to best of 17s for the first round. The event is devalued now.

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:I agree with all this talk about falling standards and one dimensional formats, but I'm still much happier with the current tour than the bad old days.

agree but theres a danger Hearn is getting complacent and hasent got his finger on the pulse as he should

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I agree with all this talk about falling standards and one dimensional formats, but I'm still much happier with the current tour than the bad old days.

agree but theres a danger Hearn is getting complacent and hasent got his finger on the pulse as he should

I don't mind best of 7s for the home nations series. But they're in too many events. I don't see why they were needed for the Grand Prix or CofC.

Also the UK reduction was a disgrace. That should have the best of 17s and 32 at the venue (same qualification system as Worlds). The UK should be treated as a mid season world championship and not a super PTC.

Postby sas6789

Wildey wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Garbage players like Donaldson and Carrington are in the semis and quarters because there is too many tournaments now. The whole tour is diluted and where the Welsh Open was quite a big event a few years ago it is now just another instantly forgettable event.

its been a great event with stories yes these best of 7s getting on my nerves but it doesent detract from the tournament.

every player is garbage until a breakthrough just look at Shaun Murphy 7 years a pro and still 48th when he became World Champion.

Murphy was always a MUCH better player than Donaldson and Carrington even before he won the WC

Postby Vallomas

While you write those harsh comments for Carrington, he's back in the match. And with Bingham struggling so heavily, I can see a decider coming.

Postby sas6789

Wildey wrote:going back to the 90s who remembers Euan Henderson reaching a ranking final what about Billy snaddon or nick pearce reaching a semi....Scott Donaldson and Stuart Carrington is better than any of them

Not much.

Postby Gridlock

Vallomas wrote:While you write those harsh comments for Carrington, he's back in the match. And with Bingham struggling so heavily, I can see a decider coming.

Yes,,,Carrington fighting tooth nail...wait it's ovah!