Post a reply

Re: Coral Welsh Open last 64 !!!!!

Postby Wildey

Theres nothing wrong with Ronnies play but he does lose focus mid match.

nobody can pin point a decline but you wake up one morning realising you not wo anything in 3 years.

Ronnie is some way off that but it will happen someday.

Postby Vallomas

Ronnie's top 16 place until Crucible is 100% stable, even in case he withdraws from China Open.

Kyren Wilson is also safe. Only Joe Perry needs desperately money to save his top 16 status, while Mark Williams needs at least the final in China to retain it.

Postby mantorok

Wildey wrote:Theres nothing wrong with Ronnies play but he does lose focus mid match.

nobody can pin point a decline but you wake up one morning realising you not wo anything in 3 years.

Ronnie is some way off that but it will happen someday.

This is spot on, he is cueing well and it's purely down to concentration, we just have to accept it's a part of his game now, and to be fair most of this negativity is unjustly stated by his fans who expect nothing but the best from him, now that he's suddenly playing like the other mortals everyone thinks he's done, when in fact he's just as capable as anyone else on the tour, if people recall not every top player can maintain that level for a whole season, and this shouldn't be expected from him.

He's still favourite in every match he plays, because sometimes it just clicks and he can pull it out of the bag.

I say give him a break.

Postby Andre147

You talk like losing focus mid match isn't something he's done in his whole career!

Problem is the longer it goes on, the harder it is for him to maintain a high level of play. You can see he's trying hard nowadays and doesn't give in, but at the same time I've noticed when he has decent leads he goes into his shell a bit and starts getting anxious, as if he badly needs to win the match from that position, unlike in the past when he just steamrolled opponents. He's definately not the best frontrunner in the game anymore.

The day will eventually come for him, and then he'll definately pack it in. But, as I said, the Worlds this year will prove a big test for him to see where he is with his game and mentally as well. And no Wild, I'm not downplaying his chances, I honestly dont expect him to win any tournament left he plays until the Worlds.

The Big one is all that remains now, no more other big tournaments in between like Masters, UK, IC and a few others, at least not in my view regarding his chances.

Postby mantorok

Andre147 wrote:but at the same time I've noticed when he has decent leads he goes into his shell a bit and starts getting anxious, as if he badly needs to win the match from that position, unlike in the past when he just steamrolled opponents. He's definately not the best frontrunner in the game anymore.

This has crept into his game ever since the likes of Selby started winning from losing positions against him. Yesterday was a prime example, he got so annoyed at 3-0 up when he had chances and blew them, I think each sloppy visit was compounding the issue, and the more he loses from these positions the worse it will become.

He must see that as a weakness, I'm just hoping he acknowledges it and works on it with SP.

Postby Andre147

masterdoctorgenius wrote:I hope he has a nice rest now.

To lose after having leads of 4-1 and 3-0 in two of the last three tournaments is not known terrority when it comes to Ronnie.

Lets have a break and free your mind.

It's not only the fact he lost, but to whom he lost. Had he lost those 2 matches against Selby or Higgins, perfectly acceptable.

He lost them against journeyman, in the past he would have won them 5-1 and 4-0 or something similar to this.

Steve Peters I agree should help him feel more relaxed when he has good leads instead of getting anxious to win it.

Postby mantorok

Andre147 wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:I hope he has a nice rest now.

To lose after having leads of 4-1 and 3-0 in two of the last three tournaments is not known terrority when it comes to Ronnie.

Lets have a break and free your mind.

It's not only the fact he lost, but to whom he lost. Had he lost those 2 matches against Selby or Higgins, perfectly acceptable.

He lost them against journeyman, in the past he would have won them 5-1 and 4-0 or something similar to this.

Steve Peters I agree should help him feel more relaxed when he has good leads instead of getting anxious to win it.

Losing against King wasn't that bad, but losing to Davis is a low point, although to be fair Davis took his chances well, but he should've never had any in the first place.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:Sullivan could win the World Championship.

I believe so too Pinks. Worlds is such a diferent tournament to all the rest, if he can sort it out some of those problems, I believe he can win a 6th World Title.

Postby mick745

I attended the Welsh Open yesterday and had a thoroughly great time. I must say though not only did the Trump v Borg match not finish until 11:50 but it was bloody terrible and I think everyone was willing Trump to finish the job 4-2 so we didn't have to endure another frame. Borg after a bright start really was poor.

The Davis v O'S match was great as were the other two matches on the main table - Lee Walker superb v Neil Robertson and Liang Wenbo v Michael White.

Also caught a bit of Jackson Page on Table 2, who to be frank had an ideal draw for his two matches. He missed frame ball pinks on two frames which he lost both so that needs to be a lesson. He does however look very assured in the arena. There is a poll on here about who has the brighter future Yan Bingtao or Jackson Page, Personally I think Yan is quite a bit ahead in his development. Jackson is likely future Top 8 player. However, I am sure people used to say that about Jamie Jones and Michael White, never quite happened for them though.