Post a reply

Re: Ladbrokes World Grand Prix Final !!!!

Postby Andre147

5 tons Hawkins, that's great standard! Plus Day with also huge breaks, no tons but very nice breaks indeed.

Good Final it was in the end.

Postby TheRocket

Day was never going to win it unfortunately. We've seen it many times when a player suddenly pots everything when 4 or 5 frames behind. But the moment it gets close, things change again. And Day never had the nerves to succesfully finish the comeback.

Postby Souvent

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:hawkins hope though is that Days choking instincts getting activated again once the match gets really close.

Fully agree. Day wont win this one.

Remember the Worlds match Hawkins v Dale? Hawkins had a huge lead, Dale made it 12-12. then Hawkins won the decider.

Day will start chocking badly, he already has to be fair.

But it's not like Hawkins has an uncanny ability to close it out, it's that his opponents - most notably Day; I wouldn't put Dale in the same "choker" category - make it too easy for him in the end. Hawkins was clearly struggling there at the end and Day couldn't capitalize.

Postby kolompar

Good match. Like how Hawkins was on to beat Hendry's century record then almost bottled the match <laugh>
So Day disappoints and doesn't win his first ranker this season.

Postby Andre147

Day loses his 4th Final.

As AlexPaul mentioned yestyerday, only 1 other player lost his first 4 Finals: Graeme Dott.

Dott won his 5th at The Crucible. Day wont win the Crucible lol, but he has the game to win a ranker for sure.

Postby Souvent

TheRocket wrote:Day was never going to win it unfortunately. We've seen it many times when a player suddenly pots everything when 4 or 5 frames behind. But the moment it gets close, things change again. And Day never had the nerves to succesfully finish the comeback.

Day didn't even allow it to get uncomfortably close. And when Hawkins was shaking like a leaf, he repeatedly left him off the hook. A very frustrating performance if you're a Ryan Day fan.

Postby Gridlock

SnookerFan wrote:
Gridlock wrote:Greetings snooker friends! I see Ryan is tryin! Just made a batch of 6 HUGE pasties.....Missus sipping some glenfarclas and me some ardbeg...cheers!

All for yourself?

Will freeze 4 of em. These are Upper Michigan ones with ground beef rutabaga and potatoes.

Postby hendry_fan

Hard luck to Ryan,made a terrific comeback effort,but it proved to be toooo much of a talllll order.

He was a bit unlucky that he came up against a beast mode Hawkins,but thats how it goes sometimes,not much he could o done against those barrages of breaks that Barry threw at him early on,ok he missed a few in which enabled Barry to get in and his safety was poor at times,which also gave Barry opportunties to get in,but Barrys breakbuilding was just brilliant,you,ve of course still gotta pot the balls,which is always easier said than done.

Well done to The Hawk,what a performance,ok,of course he went off the boil a bit in the latter part of the match,but to knock in 5 tons and hardly miss a pot in the first good part,was just fabulous.

Congrats on his winnin his 3rd ranking title. :win: :clap:

Nice lookin jug lookin bit o silverware he got + £100,000 aint bad neither. :-)

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:Hawkins one of the favourites behind Selby and O'Sullivan for Sheffield

until the way he played today the thought of Hawkins winning in Sheffield would have been a massive shock TBH but now i agree hes played Snooker today that a handful of players have ever played.

BUT under pressure Ronnie and Selby miles in front of Hawkins though

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Hawkins one of the favourites behind Selby and O'Sullivan for Sheffield

until the way he played today the thought of Hawkins winning in Sheffield would have been a massive shock TBH but now i agree hes played Snooker today that a handful of players have ever played.

Actually Hawkins can cope quite well with the pressure in the Crucible. Remember when he beat Ronnie and Robertson in the decider in two high quality matches the last two years. His problem was that he couldn't hold his level for the next match and got totally outplayed.

I don't think pressure will be his biggest problem. But his weak B/C-game and the consistency will be it and that's why I don't think he'll win.

Postby eraserhead

Just got back from the Guild Hall, very entertaining final. I was routing for Ryan Day and enjoyed his fight back, but Barry Hawkins played superb in the afternoon session and you could say Ryan was probably lucky to get out 6-3.

Postby eraserhead

Andre147 wrote:Day loses his 4th Final.

As AlexPaul mentioned yestyerday, only 1 other player lost his first 4 Finals: Graeme Dott.

Dott won his 5th at The Crucible. Day wont win the Crucible lol, but he has the game to win a ranker for sure.

I feel like it's one of those times i should remember a post! :-D

Postby eraserhead

Pink Ball wrote:Hawkins could win the World Championship.

He's probably been the most consistent in that tournament since 2013, but he never quite does it.

Postby SteveJJ

Midnight Express wrote:Worst.tournament.in.recent.memory
Concludes with a (most likely) boring final.

Hawkins vs Day??
#nobody cares

I hope Day wins (I've no idea who he is) but I hate Hawkins.

Tomorrow I'm gonna watch last year's Masters final when Ronnie destroyed Hawkins. hahaha good times!

Penny for your thoughts?

Somebody on here usually makes statements that transpire to be so outlandishly wide of the mark prior to the final of the worlds. You've peaked too soon!

But hopefully you didn't let your prejudices and ignorance stop you watching a great, high standard final

Postby PLtheRef

TheRocket wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Actually Hawkins can cope quite well with the pressure in the Crucible. Remember when he beat Ronnie and Robertson in the decider in two high quality matches the last two years. His problem was that he couldn't hold his level for the next match and got totally outplayed.

I don't think pressure will be his biggest problem. But his weak B/C-game and the consistency will be it and that's why I don't think he'll win.

I think another thing that might see him undone is this sense that he does seem to be rather vulnerable to a fightback against him. Granted his victory over O'Sullivan last year came in the wake of a revival from 12-8 to 12-12 and he was able to get over the line against Walden in 2013 before any fightback became troubling but it is still a rather emerging trend.

He played very well today in the first twelve frames - and could have beaten anyone - but we did have the almost sweating over the line. He was beginning to get anxious at 9-7, had it gone 9-8 would he have been able to keep himself together to win?

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:
eraserhead wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Hawkins could win the World Championship.

He's probably been the most consistent in that tournament since 2013, but he never quite does it.

Aye, reminds me a bit of Matthew Stevens in the early noughties.

Good point Pinks!

Will Hawkins be like Stevens? Good record at The Crucible, but still unable to win it?

TR is right, consistency is his biggest problem. Chocking hasn't been his problem at The Crucible, albeit he could have almost lost those Dale and Ronnie matches there. He didnt though, and that's what matters.

Will also depend a lot on how his draw pans out for the World Champs. On his day though, beast mode Barry can beat anyone, especially there.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:
Wildey wrote:

hes not as clinical under pressure and stats prove that tonight when Day said BOOOOO hawkins jumped out of form.

Postby Andre147

Fair to say Hawkins biggest problem is fiding himself with huge advantages.

A Ronnie at his best wouldn't have trouble winning that match 10-3 if he had played like HAwkins did until then. Then again, maybe it's not the fairest comparison because Ronnie is the best frontrunner the game has ever seen, even if he in recent times hasnt been that confortable with good leads.

Hawkins can certainly win the World Championships, but beast mode Barry needs to turn up if he faces the big names like Ronnie, Robbo, Trump, Selby. Even then, after an excelent performance, he seemed to have run out of steem. Thats why it's the hardest title to win, because it's no good doing it in one match, he needs to be consistent enough to win it, which I believe he can.

Postby Pink Ball

Whether people like it or not, Hawkins has been a serious contender for titles for about five years now - far too long to be dismissed.

Stuart Bingham was a deserving world champion two years ago, and Hawkins is even more consistent and ultimately a better player. I would not be surprised if he won the world title this year, and right now I'd only rate Selby and Sullivan as more likely winners.

He's a great break builder, has a strong safety game, and he's very consistent. They're the three of the four main ingredients you need to be a World Champion, and the guy definitely has them.

The only question mark is bottle, but it was arguably the same with Bingham once upon a time.

Postby Alex0paul

Only Selby has more ranking points than him this season plus he could end up being in the same quarter as Bingham for the World Championship which would be a proper result.

Postby Gridlock

Isn't it awesome that hearn and company felt the need to take the final down from youtube.