Post a reply

Re: Ladbrokes World Grand Prix Quarter Finals !!!

Postby SnookerFan

LC wrote:Shaun Murphy on piano, ermmmm ok

Yeah, Angles tweeted a photo of that yesterday.

Murphy said something about playing the piano in the interview after his last mach. Jill Douglas got a bit excited about the idea, and said they'd get him a piano in to play.

I take it that's what happened? They're getting a bit BBC.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:When Murphy's long game is gone, is whole game falls apart. Unlike Robbo who has other weapons, or even Judd who in recent times has developed a much better safety game and doesnt rely as much on his long potting.

Yeah, I'll agree with that. I've seen Murphy play several game where he just looks awful. Far below the world class player he actually is.

(See the aforementioned Lu Ning match as an example.)

Postby LC

SnookerFan wrote:
LC wrote:Shaun Murphy on piano, ermmmm ok

Yeah, Angles tweeted a photo of that yesterday.

Murphy said something about playing the piano in the interview after his last mach. Jill Douglas got a bit excited about the idea, and said they'd get him a piano in to play.

I take it that's what happened? They're getting a bit BBC.

Yeah he was quite competent, but I'm not sure what relevance it has and it was a bit cringy

Postby Andre147

ITV never makes any interesting features though, and that's maybe the only downside of it. The BBC, even with their cringeworthy ones, sometimes does have interesting features, and that's one of the reasons I like to watch it when it's on.

ITV with the interviews and analysis is excelent, but they could do with some good features as well.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:ITV never makes any interesting features though, and that's maybe the only downside of it. The BBC, even with their cringeworthy ones, sometimes does have interesting features, and that's one of the reasons I like to watch it when it's on.

ITV with the interviews and analysis is excelent, but they could do with some good features as well.

I quite like the way ITV is a bit bare bones though. They do have people talking sense about the match we've just seen and making pertinent points about matches earlier in the season, which the BBC rarely bother to do.

Saying that, I don't mind features if they're vaguely interesting, it's just that the BBC overdo it, and at times put features on instead of live matches. <doh>

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:By the sound of it, Murphy's piano playing was better than his snooker playing?

It was.

But Day is doing his best to bottle this match, as he often loves to do...

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:By the sound of it, Murphy's piano playing was better than his snooker playing?

It was.

But Day is doing his best to bottle this match, as he often loves to do...

It sounds like, he's had his day....

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Postby mantorok

Andre147 wrote:ITV never makes any interesting features though, and that's maybe the only downside of it. The BBC, even with their cringeworthy ones, sometimes does have interesting features, and that's one of the reasons I like to watch it when it's on.

The production values and budget in BBC are much higher, they've covered more snooker than anyone else and have a consistent funding, where-as ITV rely on advertising, they've only previously covered 1 or 2 tournaments a year and never the biggys.

Apart from that their coverage is just as good.

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:
The production values and budget in BBC are much higher, they've covered more snooker than anyone else and have a consistent funding, where-as ITV rely on advertising, they've only previously covered 1 or 2 tournaments a year and never the biggys.

Apart from that their coverage is just as good.

I'd say that from a commentary and analysis standpoint, ITV4 is way superior. Phil Yates is a bit of a idiot, and though Jill Douglas seems nice, she isn't as polished a present as Hazel. But I still prefer ITV 4's coverage from a commentary / analysis standpoint to the BBC. During The Masters final, I had the second session on Eurosport, I just couldn't take the BBC any more.

The BBC is more polished, and more professional looking. (And doesn't have adverts all the time.) Somehow they make it look like a bigger occasion when they're on the screen. If only they could find some pundits who care about snooker as much as they care about golf and perving Selby's wife, we'd be on to a winner.

Postby TheRocket

Oh well. Didnt expect that result.
Would be quite funny if Day really goes on and wins this now. Just a week after the other best player who had never won a ranking event finally won his first ranker. And Wenbo and King of course to not be forgotten.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:Fair to say ITV has more positive aspects than the BBC have.

Whenever I see ITV 4, I feel I am watching a sport. I don't really know how to describe it, but I don't always get that feeling with the BBC.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:Oh well. Didnt expect that result.
Would be quite funny if Day really goes on and wins this now. Just a week after the other best player who had never won a ranking event finally won his first ranker. And Wenbo and King of course to not be forgotten.

If Day wins this tournament, who then will be the best player to never win a ranking event.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

SnookerFan wrote:some pundits who care about snooker as much as they care about golf

I still laugh at Eurosport bringing in Taylor and asking him about Mark King and Taylor immediately starts talking about his father Bill King being a great man for Golf and then going about something that happened playing Golf with Bob Chaperon.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

SnookerFan wrote:

If Day wins this tournament, who then will be the best player to never win a ranking event.

The way things are going there won't be a player left who doesn't have won.

Postby Iranu

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

The way things are going there won't be a player left who doesn't have won.

There'll still be Lu Ning.

Postby LC

Like itv coverage, but BBC is much better, they've both got there annoyances, Taylor /Yates, Jill Douglas is hard to dislike but her snooker knowledge isn't great you can tell

Postby SnookerFan

LC wrote:Like itv coverage, but BBC is much better, they've both got there annoyances, Taylor /Yates, Jill Douglas is hard to dislike but her snooker knowledge isn't great you can tell

That's still better than some of the BBC bods.

I mean, there are people at the BBC whose snooker knowledge isn't great and ARE hard to like.

rofl

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:

Would be really getting tough then as all players who reached multiple ranking finals would have won a title? Not sure though.

Maybe someone like Joe Swail.

But from a pure peak level perspective you could even say Michael Holt even if he's never reached a ranking event final. But the way he destroyed Robertson in last years World Championship and beat Ronnie three consecutive times was impressing.

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:
mantorok wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I refer you to the Masters final of 2007.

Wasn't there racial insults being thrown?

There were certainly insults Ding's way. At the time it was reported that some of it was racial.

During The Masters this year, I had one of Ding's matches on Eurosport. Foulds suggested some of the negativity towards Ding was from his own fans. Some of the Chinese in were shouting that he should be winning, and that he was a disgrace to China. Now I wasn't there, so I don't know what proportion of it was Ronnie fans booing Ding, and how many of it was Chinese fans getting the boot in. So, now I know this, I'm more reluctant to suggest it was just "Ronnie fans" being racist.

The point I was trying to make though, you could see Ding's confidence being rocked just by that one match. Ronnie was just too good for him on the day, and the fans were all on top of him. Poor lad was only a teenager, in a country where he was only just learning the language. His confidence was dead for a good couple of seasons after that.

Whatever the case, it was a disgrace the way he was treated that night. It had a detrimental effect on his career for sure, and is a big reason why I've always rooted for him.

Postby LC

Cloud Strife wrote:Mark King looks like someone who'd nut you if you so much as even say hello to him.

Sticking the nut on fu is the only way he's going to win this!