Post a reply

Barry Hearn; Guld Hall could return to snooker circuit

Postby SnookerFan

Preston's Guild Hall could become a permanent venue for the snooker tour again if there is enough interest, says World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn.

The World Grand Prix, which pits the top 32 players against each other, is currently being played there.

The UK Championship was held at the venue for 20 years but left in 1997.

"I will be looking at it and evaluating the audience figures on TV as that is important to my sponsors," Hearn told BBC Radio Lancashire.

"And I'll be evaluating the live gate. If we get the support of local people and they show us they want to be there, we'll stay."

Former world champion John Higgins, who played in the 1996 UK Championship final in Preston, would like to see more snooker played at the venue.

"This is probably second in history to the Crucible really," the 41-year-old Scot said.

"This was here well before the York Barbican Centre and Alexandra Palace but sadly it is not used on the rota.

"Hopefully with this tournament [World Grand Prix] it can be back on the rota because it is a great venue to play in.

"If you just put a table within any theatre it always works, and with this being a theatre it is a great venue."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/38905270

Re: Barry Hearn; Guld Hall could return to snooker circuit

Postby Pink Ball

It's weird. Even watching it on telly when it's more than half empty, there's something special about the place. And from talking to locals any time I visit, they always seemed keen on snooker and genuinely interested in what was happening.

I love the place, only the Crucible beats it. I hope the locals get out for the rest of the week and support it, because the tour is better with a packed Guild Hall on the roster.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

It's a good looking venue on TV even when empty. If it is going to be a permanent home then they'll have to stop having qualifiers there as it wouldn't help with getting crowds for tv events. Having another tournament in Manchester wouldn't be good either.

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:It's a good looking venue on TV even when empty. If it is going to be a permanent home then they'll have to stop having qualifiers there as it wouldn't help with getting crowds for tv events. Having another tournament in Manchester wouldn't be good either.

Manchester seemed like a good venue to me, lots to do on the outside of it. Compared to some venues I've been to, where's there's bugger all within miles of the venue.

Shame that nobody came out. Seemed to me to be a waste of a decent venue.

Postby eraserhead

Best of 7's put me off going to early rounds at least with quarter finals they feel they have some weight to them. I would have gone to Manchester if this wasn't on, having two tournaments so close geographically might not be the best idea.

Postby SnookerFan

eraserhead wrote:Best of 7's put me off going to early rounds at least with quarter finals they feel they have some weight to them. I would have gone to Manchester if this wasn't on, having two tournaments so close geographically might not be the best idea.

Me too.

First year I went to the Welsh Open, it was best of nines. It was brilliant. You could sit where you wanted, chose what matches you wanted to see. Just turn up on the day, decided who you wanted to watch. The second year I went same thing, but with best of sevens. I saw one match over in 40 minutes, because Mark Williams made four centuries. :zzz:

That's why for the Welsh Open, I got to the latter stages now. I'd still prefer to chose who I see, but just can't be doing with travelling a long way for best of sevens. May explain the low crowds in some games?

Also, are the qualifiers free entry? The ones in Crawley were. Might explain why crowds are small? Why pay to watch snooker, when you can watch it for free at other times of the year.

Postby eraserhead

SnookerFan wrote:
eraserhead wrote:Best of 7's put me off going to early rounds at least with quarter finals they feel they have some weight to them. I would have gone to Manchester if this wasn't on, having two tournaments so close geographically might not be the best idea.

Me too.

First year I went to the Welsh Open, it was best of nines. It was brilliant. You could sit where you wanted, chose what matches you wanted to see. Just turn up on the day, decided who you wanted to watch. The second year I went same thing, but with best of sevens. I saw one match over in 40 minutes, because Mark Williams made four centuries. :zzz:

That's why for the Welsh Open, I got to the latter stages now. I'd still prefer to chose who I see, but just can't be doing with travelling a long way for best of sevens. May explain the low crowds in some games?

Also, are the qualifiers free entry? The ones in Crawley were. Might explain why crowds are small? Why pay to watch snooker, when you can watch it for free at other times of the year.

Qualifiers I went to at guild hall where £5.

Postby eraserhead

SnookerFan wrote:Out of interest, what was it like for Qualifiers at Preston? Many people there? Good day out?

Great venue for qualifiers 8 tables fill the floor space of the guild hall perfectly, there's a walkway at the top of the stairs so you get to any table you want.

No massive crowds except for Ronnie but a decent amount of people.

Postby SnookerFan

eraserhead wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Out of interest, what was it like for Qualifiers at Preston? Many people there? Good day out?

Great venue for qualifiers 8 tables fill the floor space of the guild hall perfectly, there's a walkway at the top of the stairs so you get to any table you want.

No massive crowds except for Ronnie but a decent amount of people.

I've always wanted to go the Guild Hall. Maybe I'll try qualifiers rather than a proper tournament. Can you book tickets in advance?

Also, give us a write up about your trip to the Grand Prix later in the week, sir. :hatoff:

Postby eraserhead

SnookerFan wrote:I've always wanted to go the Guild Hall. Maybe I'll try qualifiers rather than a proper tournament. Can you book tickets in advance?

Also, give us a write up about your trip to the Grand Prix later in the week, sir. :hatoff:

You wouldn't need to the guild hall is big and it's not going to get filled for qualifying.