Post a reply

Re: Ladbrokes World Grand Prix Last 32 !!!

Postby SnookerEd25

LC wrote:I must be old but I miss Alan Hughes lol

Ah, the creme de la menthe of MCs. They don't make 'em like that anymore. Had a beer with him once at a boxing memorabilia fair. A lovely, lovely man.

Postby Cheshire Cat

That is pretty crazy. According to Yates, Gould has /never/ made a 140+ break ever in professional competition in his career.

Could remedy that here.

Postby LC

Cheshire Cat wrote:That is pretty crazy. According to Yates, Gould has /never/ made a 140+ break ever in professional competition in his career.

Could remedy that here.

You could tell he wanted that badly

Postby Andre147

Cheshire Cat wrote:That is pretty crazy. According to Yates, Gould has /never/ made a 140+ break ever in professional competition in his career.

Could remedy that here.

Believe it or not, a player of Gould's quality had a highest break of.......

139!!!!!!

He makes a 142 here, so this is his new PB. :hatoff:

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
snucar wrote:
LC wrote:Yeah they keep saying this is a BIG tournament, bo7, rubbish crowds, shocking schedule, I'm not convinced

Well said. It's sad to see one of the best (if not the best) venues the game has ever seen treated like this. ITV's production values have been extremely awful too. After a couple of good tournaments under their belt, they've gone several steps backwards with this ghost tournament. Hendry looks almost embarrassed at this spectacle. Also, send John McDonald back to darts and change the presenter (nice milfy bird but she clearly doesn't have it) ferchrissake! And someone should cure Foulds' talking diarrhea.

Knowing Hendry, he probably is embarrassed by it. He openly acknowledges he only watched snooker if he is paid to. <laugh>

I do like the ITV coverage though, for the most part. Hendry comes across as a better commentator/pundit on ITV, for some reason. I think it's because he's allowed to phone it in a bit on the BBC, he sometimes does. ITV aim there coverage at people who watch a lot of snooker and BBC just as casuals, so he has to talk more sense on ITV.

Foulds is alright, got nothing against him. You can tell he's a fan of watching the sport, unlike the bellends at the BBC. Clive is Clive, and Angles is inoffensive enough. Jill Douglas clearly isn't the most knowledgeable pundit. but that's not as big an issue for the host. It would be annoying if she was being presented as one of the experts.

The weak link commentary wise is Phil Yates, who is a bit of a idiot. And, as said, Old McDonald as the MC isn't anywhere near as good as Rob Walker.

But overall I don't mind their coverage. Just a shame about the structure of some of their tournaments.

Agree with pretty much all of this. I think McManus is really good, gives an insight that the others don't because he's still playing. He also asks questions of players that the others don't.

I do think that Jill Douglas should be a lot better than she actually is by now, though. She's been doing this for a couple of years but you get the sense that she doesn't know very much or do any real research about the game. But hey, at least she's not Colin Murray.

How's the Selby match going? At work so I can't watch.

Postby LC

SnookerEd25 wrote:
LC wrote:I must be old but I miss Alan Hughes lol

Ah, the creme de la menthe of MCs. They don't make 'em like that anymore. Had a beer with him once at a boxing memorabilia fair. A lovely, lovely man.

Always likes Hughes, walker is ok, but something about McDonald grates on me

Postby Andre147

Andre147 wrote:I expect an easy win for Allen to be fair.

I think Hamilton will be like King at the UK following his NI Open win.

I did say this earlier on... and Allen has just won 4-0.

It's almost impossible for players like them to follow that up.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:I expect an easy win for Allen to be fair.

I think Hamilton will be like King at the UK following his NI Open win.

I did say this earlier on... and Allen has just won 4-0.

It's almost impossible for players like them to follow that up.

DECLINE!

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Pedro147 wrote:But surely it's World Snooker who decide the format?

I know BBC have had input over some formats i.e. the UK Championships however that's due to their history with screening snooker and in particular the majors.

I don't see a scenario where ITV could dictate the format to World Snooker as I'm sure Eurosport would easily take the coverage if ITV chose not to.

Although I could be completely wrong!

They could have longer matches but they would have to have fewer players in the tournament. I'm probably teasing people by mentioning this but having no play on a Saturday afternoon makes a three session final possible, although I can't see it happening.

Postby Andre147

This is the type of match that Selby wins often when not playing anywhere near his best. He also often goes on to win the tournament.

Postby Andre147

masterdoctorgenius wrote:still think contact lenses could have made gould a better player.

Would DT have been better with them? :chin:

Postby LC

Why play that red to come off the black cushion??? Surely just stun it in! Obviously goulds the pro, but I don't understand that shot

Postby TheRocket

The bottler needs massive help from Selby to finally get over the line. However, dont think Selby will let his chance slip now. Looks like a decider and a certain win for Selby.

Postby hendry_fan

Wow!,Robbos manages to win a match again!. :-)

Congrats to Ding,did,nt score heavy,but :hatoff: that he won.

well done to Allen in thumpin The German 2017 champ,blew him off the table today,i see he Knocked 4 50+ breaks,one being a *140*. :clap:

I,ve just put the tv on and i see that Selbys in yet another decider,can he pull it off yet again. :-)