Post a reply

Re: Ladbrokes World Grand Prix Last 32 !!!

Postby Andre147

masterdoctorgenius wrote:you have to feel for ding. it wonders me that he decided to play at all this month.

maybe it explains his slump in form. Who knows how long he knew about the cancer illness of his mother.

At least he's won a ranking title this season already, so even if he doesnt do anything else it's not as bad as his previous 2, far from it.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:Being Honest should be congratulated not fined.

sometimes lying is more acceptable.

you can agree or disagree with Ronnies assessment of Terry Camilleri but surely he has the right to express his opinion when asked by a interviewer.

Gagging opinions has been a problem in snooker for years and its not letting up is it.

It's not just snooker either, football managers are always getting fines for criticising referees, it's ridiculous. As long as the comment isn't personal or abusive I don't see the problem. Preventing it just removes accountability from refs which isn't a good thing.

Even what he said about the photographer wasn't that bad.

I do think his interview yesterday was a bit immature but I also found it funny in a surreal kind of way.

Did Mark Allen get fined for his comments about Mark Joyce? Because they were much, much worse than anything Ronnie said.

Postby Iranu

masterdoctorgenius wrote:you have to feel for ding. it wonders me that he decided to play at all this month.

maybe it explains his slump in form. Who knows how long he knew about the cancer illness of his mother.

It could provide him with a distraction that he needs. Lots of people throw themselves into their work after experiencing personal issues.

That's not to say he'll play well, but if it gives him a few hours of focusing on something other than his grief then I think it's time well spent.

Postby Andre147

Well said Iranu!

Allen's comments were worse and nothing was done about them. Like Wild says, we can agree or disagree with Ronnie's view of the referee. I personally dont agree with him, but he is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else. He didn't use abusive language or anything of the sort, so that was just being being brutally honest.

He would have been better off lying, which can't be good I think.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:Well said Iranu!

Allen's comments were worse and nothing was done about them. Like Wild says, we can agree or disagree with Ronnie's view of the referee. I personally dont agree with him, but he is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else. He didn't use abusive language or anything of the sort, so that was just being being brutally honest.

He would have been better off lying, which can't be good I think.

Exactly. And then people complain about the lack of personalities in snooker and sport generally. It's because they can't afford to have one!

Postby PoolBoy

Interesting discussion there between Foulds and Clive Everton regarding re-racks. They both think that the points already gained, should be carried forward into the re-racked frame.

Got to admit, it's not something I'd really considered before! I suppose it makes sense!

Postby Andre147

PoolBoy wrote:Interesting discussion there between Foulds and Clive Everton regarding re-racks. They both think that the points already gained, should be carried forward into the re-racked frame.

Got to admit, it's not something I'd really considered before! I suppose it makes sense!

It doesn't because it's a new frame, 0-0 on points.

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:

At least he's won a ranking title this season already, so even if he doesnt do anything else it's not as bad as his previous 2, far from it.

He's gone through some horrific runs of form in the last two years, so it wouldn't surprise me if this had been going on for a while! It's a testament of how good he is that he's still made three ranking finals in that time.

He seems like a gentleman away from the table too, so I've always hoped he'd be a World Champion some day.

Postby PoolBoy

Pink Ball wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

He's gone through some horrific runs of form in the last two years, so it wouldn't surprise me if this had been going on for a while! It's a testament of how good he is that he's still made three ranking finals in that time.

He seems like a gentleman away from the table too, so I've always hoped he'd be a World Champion some day.

Absolutely!
I reckon if there was a poll for 'Which player (who's not yet been World Champion) would you most like to lift the title?", Ding would be top!
Or perhaps Jimmy White! Who genuinely still thinks he can still win it! <laugh>

Postby masterdoctorgenius

PoolBoy wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Absolutely!
I reckon if there was a poll for 'Which player (who's not yet been World Champion) would you most like to lift the title?", Ding would be top!

Tbf Jimmy white lost two WC due to his incapability. His own fault when he chokes so much and his balls left his pants as soon as the winning line appeared.

Postby Andre147

The 1992 one was the worst as he was 14-8 up. In 1994, ok should have never lost, but any player with that pressure could have missed that clearance.

1992 was the year he should have been World Champion.

Postby Pink Ball

PoolBoy wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Absolutely!

I was a JImmy fan in the '80s and '90s, and I'm a DIng fan now - don't want history repeating!

Postby SnookerFan

Of course, his mum. I had forgotten.

Yeah, could've been excused for pulling out. Though some people when grieving like to try to go on as normal as much as possible. Individuals cope differently.

How does he look?