Post a reply

Coral Scottish Open Quarter Finals !!!!!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Monday 12th ~ Sunday 18th of December at the Emirates Arena, Glasgow

Quarter Finals brings together the 61st meeting between Two of Snookers Greatest ever players John Higgins and Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Also stil in is Yu Delu in his first ever Quarter Final of a full Ranking event Playing Compatriot English Open Champiion Liang Wenbo.

Also this weeek has seen Robert Milkins and Mark Davis find their form once again.

Who will reach the semi final?

DRAW

Quarter Finals

Yu Delu v Liang Wenbo Tied at 2-2
Marco Fu v Mark Davis Tied at 4-4
----------------------------------------------
Judd Trump v Robert Milkins Milkins leads 6-4
Ronnie O'Sullivan v John Higgins O'Sullivan leads 30-26

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Coral Scottish Open Quarter Finals !!!!!!

Postby vodkadiet

That head to head is only in O'Sullivan's favour because of the stupid shot clock league and other similar junk snooker. In real matches Higgins has the edge.

Shot clock league isn't real snooker.

O'Sullivan might have a chance because it is only best of 9. Anything longer and he wouldn't have much chance.

Postby TheRocket

vodkadiet wrote:That head to head is only in O'Sullivan's favour because of the stupid shot clock league and other similar junk snooker. In real matches Higgins has the edge.

O'Sullivan might have a chance because it is only best of 9. Anything longer and he wouldn't have much chance.

And yet he beat him in the most important match they ever played. The world final. The match which made all the difference between 5 time and 4 time world champion and which puts O'Sullivan ahead of Higgins in the all time great list.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:That head to head is only in O'Sullivan's favour because of the stupid shot clock league and other similar junk snooker. In real matches Higgins has the edge.

And yet he beat him in the most important match they ever played. The world final. The match which made all the difference between 5 time and 4 time world champion and which puts O'Sullivan ahead of Higgins in the all time great list.

Well said <ok>

Postby Andre147

Plus in multi.session matches Higgins only leads by 1 win.

This statment from you makes a person who hasn't followed Snooker think Ronnie lost most of their long matches, when we all know it's far from the truth.

Yes since 2005 his h2h v him isn't great, but some find it useful to forget what's gone before 2005. By then Ronnie had a clear advantage.

And like TR says, Ronnie won the most important match between the 2 and longest, which decides who's 4 and 5 time World Champion. <ok>

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:So another O'Sullivan Higgins clash it is. Even though its obviously not their biggest encounter or most important match it should be still an interesting match.

I wouldn't mind Ronnie thrashing him 5-1 like their last best of 9 match, the 2014 Welsh Open.

Postby vodkadiet

TheRocket wrote:

O'Sullivan's win in the 2001 Worlds isn't any more important than John Higgins' 3 wins over O'Sullivan at the Crucible, as each time Higgins went on to win the title. If he had lost after beating O'Sullivan then that would have been different. You cannot win the title if you lose in the quarters or semi!

Anyway, it is about time O'Sullivan won a title. I think he will win this week. I notice Selby gave this event a miss. I guess he realises that it is second rate.

Postby Andre147

No it's not second rate, he did play at the English Open.he just gave it a miss because he has almost double the money of 2nd place Bingham.

If Selby was much closer to him, we wouldn't see him giving this a miss I garantee you, just like he didn't wanna miss the English Open for the possible million shot.

Selby can afford to miss tournaments like this, but it doesn't make them second rate. They are regular rankers, just like almost all the tournaments on the Tour except a few others more important.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Come on Ronnie! Just what I love to see! :D

I saw him play against Allen and he was sublime even with the new tip. Have to bring that game tomorrow.

It's crazy how he went 180 from White's match to Allen's match. So different.
Last edited by Erza Scarlet on 16 Dec 2016, edited 2 times in total.

Postby vodkadiet

Ok Andre, I will concede that. I should have said that it isn't a priority event for some, but it is still an important event for most of the players.

Nice to see your interest in the great game hasn't waned at all.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:Ok Andre, I will concede that. I should have said that it isn't a priority event for some, but it is still an important event for most of the players.

Nice to see your interest in the great game hasn't waned at all.

Why would it? With or without Ronnie, Snooker fan first and foremost. Die hard fan, best sport in the World by a mile. <ok>

Postby Pink Ball

Oh that's very cheeky

Postby PoolBoy

TheRocket wrote:

I applaud your consistency, TheRocket.
I note from the Top 10 all-time list, you do concede that Hendry should be regarded as above Ronnie, due to his 7 World titles.

Certain other Ronnie fans however, in their desperation to prove Ronnie's ahead of Higgins, like to use the above example - his 5 world crowns to Higgins' 4.
But in the same breath then try to argue that Ronnie can still be above Hendry despite not matching his 7 titles!
Can't have it both ways!

Postby SnookerEd25

mantorok wrote:Still coming to terms that we're treated to Snooker so close to Christmas :D

Hearn :bowdown:

Snooker is better than Christmas.

You heard it here first.

Postby TheRocket

Thanks poolboy. I suppose with Hendry you always have this weak era excuse and O'Sullivan/Higgins/Williams were too young to beat him, this that to make his 7 world titles look weak.

Something I dont agree with because in 1999 he beat peak O'Sullivan in the semis and peak Williams in the final. And in 2002 he beat Ronnie when Ronnie was defending champ.

In the end the stats say Hendry is the greatest and O'Sullivan is greater than Higgins.

Postby Andre147

Still, if Ronnie wins one more Worlds, being won in his 40s and all, I would put him ahead of Hendry, despite knowing he'd still be 1 behind him.

Pink Ball put it perfectly, Worlds are the most important title and hardest to win, but not the 100% measure of greatness.

Atm Hendry is still ahead for me, unless Ron wins that 6th.

Postby Cloud Strife

What strange scheduling. I don't think I'll be able to watch all of this match.

Don't know why they put this match on first, normally the best game is put on a prime slot. Pathetic.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:Are the 7pm evening matches both starting at the same time? Which one will make it onto the main TV channel? (I mean, which one will be on the TV Channel and not on the Player?)

Probably Liang v Delu on the TV table.

But I would like to watch Fu instead, he's been scoring like a machine so far.

Postby Pink Ball

PoolBoy wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

I applaud your consistency, TheRocket.
I note from the Top 10 all-time list, you do concede that Hendry should be regarded as above Ronnie, due to his 7 World titles.

Certain other Ronnie fans however, in their desperation to prove Ronnie's ahead of Higgins, like to use the above example - his 5 world crowns to Higgins' 4.
But in the same breath then try to argue that Ronnie can still be above Hendry despite not matching his 7 titles!
Can't have it both ways!

I think they can actually, Higgins and Sullivan played during the exact same era, whereas Hendry turned pro years before them. Titles are more telling in the Higgins-Ronnie debate than they are to the Hendry-Sullivan debate.