Post a reply

Re: Coral Scottish Open Last 16 !!!!!!

Postby Johnny Bravo

He won it in the end.
A pretty good performance overall.
Still not satisfied with his tactical game. IMO his safety shot selection isn't that great at the moment.
The best example is frame 3 where it took him around 3-4 minutes on a very easy safety: put the red that's next to the white safe on the right side cushion and take the white near the yellow ball area, so Mark can't pot the red that was next to the top left cushion.

Looks like he's gonna be up against Higgins next. I hope he beats the fatso.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Anyway, I'm very happy he made 3 centuries today. Getting ever closer to that magical 1000.
He's now the top century maker so far this season, being tied up with the Slowby grinder.
Like Andre said, this could be his best season in term of the number of centuries he makes.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Quarter finals are best of 9. Gives the likely Ronnie v Higgins match more credibility.

Yeah.

Enjoyed the match, Ron started superb, then took those 3 min on that shot which wasn't necesary, but won it well in the end.

Ronnie could very well have to beat Higgins and then Trump on his way to the Final, those 2 of course beating him in Finals this season.

If he beats them, then can't see anyone stopping him from winning the whole thing.

Postby Andre147

Ronnie plays tomorrow at 12 pm... strange time for him to play, I would expect it to be at 2 or the evening session.

Not that I care too much, I'll watch it the same way,

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Quarter finals are best of 9. Gives the likely Ronnie v Higgins match more credibility.

Yeah.

Enjoyed the match, Ron started superb, then took those 3 min on that shot which wasn't necesary, but won it well in the end.

Ronnie could very well have to beat Higgins and then Trump on his way to the Final, those 2 of course beating him in Finals this season.

If he beats them, then can't see anyone stopping him from winning the whole thing.

Better losing before the final than another defeat in a final.

Postby PoolBoy

^^^
"Better losing before the final than another defeat in a final"

I just don't follow that 'logic' at all!!

Why would losing in the semis (to Anthony Hamilton - for example) be 'better' than losing to him in a Final?!
:| :| :|

Postby TheRocket

PoolBoy wrote:^^^

Why would losing in the semis (to Anthony Hamilton - for example) be 'better' than losing to him in a Final?!

You should know the answer. Theres nothing worse than losing a final.

Unless youre a journeyman and thus a final is incredible and something special to you. But for a topplayer, and especially a legend finals doesnt mean anything unless you win it

Postby Andre147

PoolBoy wrote:^^^

Me neither mate.

Some even said they would have prefered Ronnie to lose in the Semis of the UK than lose in the Final to Selby <doh>

even if Ronnie were to lose his 4th Final in a row, isn't it better to be just 1 match away from winning a title than 2?

I always want Ronnie to win, even if it means his chances are slim in the following match.

Postby Andre147

It's true Finals are meant to be won.

But if someone said to me at the start of the week: Andre, Ronnie is gonna lose in the Final. Do you want him to lose earlier than that or do you still want him to reach the Final?

My answer is pretty obvious from my statment above.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:It's true Finals are meant to be won.

But if someone said to me at the start of the week: Andre, Ronnie is gonna lose in the Final. Do you want him to lose earlier than that or do you still want him to reach the Final?

My answer is pretty obvious from my statment above.

I understand your point. And everyone thinks different of course. But if someone told you, hes gonna lose a final to Selby and as second choice lets say lose against Ding in the semis I would take the latter one.

Not just losing a final hurts but losing it to Selby hurts even more.

Depends on the overall situation. But in the end youre remebered for winning the titles, not reaching the final.

But again. Everyone thinks differently about this. I remember Skullman thought the same as me regarding this. One of the very few things we agreed on.

Postby Andre147

I would still prefer him losing to Selby.

Yes we think diferently on this one, that's what makes things interesting. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Better losing before the final than another defeat in a final.

Not sure I agree with that.

Hendry used to say losing the first round was the same as losing a final. Losing was still losing.

Not sure how losing before the final can be deemed better.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:Not just losing a final hurts but losing it to Selby hurts even more.

Ronnie doesn't see it that way. He's publicly stated on many occasions, that he respects Selby's style.

There has been needle between the two in the past, but I think that's a lot less now than it used to be. They've even played exhibitions together.

This whole "we must hate Selby because we like Ronnie" logic on seems to exist in the minds of certain fans. I don't see Ronnie encouraging it at all.

Postby TheWizard

haha you would think some of you have never watched a game of snooker with some of the comments!!

It would be better for ROS to get beat earlier rather than another final? Where is the logic in that? Maybe he would like you to believe that when Higgins beats him today.

Allen wouldnt get into top 64 if he was playing in the 80's? hahaha thats right, the bags were as tight as they are now, the balls were as light, cloths were as fast and everyone went for their pots back then like they do today. Nonsense. Allen would have won a lot more than he has if he was playing back then.

Hopefully Higgins does the business again today and sends ROS homewards to think again.