Post a reply

John Higgins well up for the Scottish Open

Postby SnookerFan

John Higgins has admitted that winning the inaugural Coral Scottish Open in front of his home fans would be one of the greatest moments of his illustrious career.

The four-time World Champion is in the midst of a remarkable streak of form, which has seen him lift back-to-back titles at the recent China Championship and Champion of Champions. He then went on to make an eighth career 147 at the Northern Ireland Open in Belfast.

The Scottish Open, which runs from December 12th to 18th, is just around the corner and Higgins hopes he can continue his purple patch.

“I would love to win it,” said the 28-time ranking event winner. “I’ve only won one or two tournaments in Scotland, but it would probably be a highlight of my career. You’ve got more family and friends there and it is a great feeling when you win on home soil.

“We’re all over the UK now for events. We were in Belfast last week and York this week. After this I’ll be back getting ready for Glasgow and all of the Scottish players are really looking forward to it.”

The Emirates Arena will play host to 128 of the world’s greatest players when the World Snooker Tour rolls into town and the brand new Stephen Hendry trophy will be up for grabs.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/glasgow-win ... higgins-2/

Re: John Higgins well up for the Scottish Open

Postby whitespider

It did. It ran from 1998 to 2003. Ronnie is the record title holder with two wins. Last winner was David Gray - his only ranking event title.

Snooker History has this problem with using the same name of previous tournaments or more common changing the name of established tournaments constantly. Makes it difficult to build history in an event if you keep chopping and changing.

Some will say this edition of the Scottish Open is the 7th. Others will say it's the 1st.

Postby SnookerFan

whitespider wrote:It did. It ran from 1998 to 2003. Ronnie is the record title holder with two wins. Last winner was David Gray - his only ranking event title.

Snooker History has this problem with using the same name of previous tournaments or more common changing the name of established tournaments constantly. Makes it difficult to build history in an event if you keep chopping and changing.

Some will say this edition of the Scottish Open is the 7th. Others will say it's the 1st.

The Grand Prix is the worst for this sort of thing.

There was a tournament that ran on the BBC for years, which changed it's format on several occasions. The last year it was on the BBC, it had changed it's name to the World Open.

Now there is a tournament on ITV called the Grand Prix and a tournament on Eurosport called the World Open. :roll:

Postby PoolBoy

This is quite a good link to the 19 Rankers for this season, showing what they were called in all their previous incarnations! (hovering over the 'R' or the 'M') https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... ournaments

...and the dedicated 'Scottish Open' page shows those results in detail. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Open_(snooker)

So, Ding is actually 'considered' the current holder of this 'even' and seems to be getting the number 1 seeding for the forthcoming Scottish Open. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Scot ... n_(snooker)

Postby whitespider

PoolBoy wrote:
...and the dedicated 'Scottish Open' page shows those results in detail. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Open_(snooker)

I think that page sums up the ludicrous nature of snooker history in a nutshell. Does that mean Steve Davis is the record winner of the Scottish Open, despite the fact none of his victories came in Scotland? <laugh>

The Scottish Open might have taken the place of the International Open in the calendar but different tournaments for me.

Similarly with the Grand Prix. The World Grand Prix is a different tournament to the historical Grand Prix. And so is the World Open. All in my humble opinion. :dizzy:

Postby hendry_fan

"John Higgins well up for the Scottish Open".

Boy that was close,the dumpling almost got kicked out before the tourney really even started.

I just managed to see the decider btween him and Rory yesterday evening,ok,John did wrap it up with a 86 break in the end,but Rory had a very good chance of beatin him as he did have a good chance in that decider.

John missed an absolute sitter of a pink to the middle bag,breaks down on 9,shortly after Rory misses an easy one also to the middle bag,breaks down after 13,from that point on,John made no more mistakes and went on and knocked in the 86 break.

:happy: John Higgins!. :happy:

Postby hendry_fan

whitespider wrote:Last night was German Masters.

:shock:

rofl rofl rofl rofl

HAAAAALLLLELLUUYAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!,that was a beauty from hendry_fan!. rofl

Jeeeeeeeeeez!,theres so many buckin tourneys,qualifyiers goin on these days,it,s mind boggling,i would,nt be surprised if some o the players also got mixed up. :dizzy: <laugh>

Ah well,it,s nice to see that John beat Rory in the decider of THE GERMAN MASTERS QUALIFYING. < :-D

I,ll add what i wrote about John v Rory to the buckin GERMAN MASTERS QUALIFYING thread. <laugh>