Post a reply

No Bingo and Selby

Postby whitespider

Unless I've missed it it seems that Bingham and Selby are not playing in this. i imagine if the 1 million was still on the table they would have been!!!

Not that i expect anyone to ever get the million but it would keep the debate going if you just had to hold the title for all four simultaneously. Then every tournament someone would be still in with a shout for the million.

E.g. if Murphy won this one he could win the million by winning the next three. At the moment he couldn't as it has to be done in a season.

Re: No Bingo and Selby

Postby SnookerFan

Call me cynical, but I think Hearn would prefer nobody won the million.

The million to me is a way of creating some importance out of the Home Nation series, creating a talking point and getting publicity.

Not about the players actually getting a million. <laugh>

Postby whitespider

That's my point though in a way. I agree that Hearn does not want to pay out but now for the next 3 no-one is going to talk about the million with exception of when liang plays.

If the million prize was available on a rolling basis then everyone playing would be in with a chance again. So much more publicity (maybe).

Postby SnookerFan

whitespider wrote:That's my point though in a way. I agree that Hearn does not want to pay out but now for the next 3 no-one is going to talk about the million with exception of when liang plays.

If the million prize was available on a rolling basis then everyone playing would be in with a chance again. So much more publicity (maybe).

Yeah, it's not a bad idea, publicity-wise.

The thing is the million is irrelevant after one event. If Liang won the Northern Ireland trophy, it might become a bit more worth mentioning. But as far as we know, Liang could lose in the first round in Ireland. Why are we going to get that excited about the idea?

Postby SteveJJ

Its still noteworthy that those two haven't entered...they usually enter everything regardless of the prize money incentive.

Maybe they are scared by the return of Igor!

Postby Cheshire Cat

I'm from NI and extremely disappointed that they won't be entering, personally.

The calendar is just far too packed with events during this October/November/December run and things like the Intl Championship, the CoC and the UK just make this event seem like a real petty occasion in comparison. A shame really, it's been the first event in Ireland for quite some time.

Postby Vallomas

Cheshire Cat wrote:The calendar is just far too packed with events during this October/November/December run and things like the Intl Championship, the CoC and the UK just make this event seem like a real petty occasion in comparison. A shame really, it's been the first event in Ireland for quite some time.

The truth is here. The calendar is full of big events and some guys need a rest. I don't think it's the million case, although I can see that if Selby or Bingham had won the English Open , they would have enter the Irish Open too, just to claim their little chances for the million.

Postby Lou147

Cheshire Cat wrote:I'm from NI and extremely disappointed that they won't be entering, personally.

The calendar is just far too packed with events during this October/November/December run and things like the Intl Championship, the CoC and the UK just make this event seem like a real petty occasion in comparison. A shame really, it's been the first event in Ireland for quite some time.

Spot on, annoys me how poorly spread out they are, not enough/pointless boring tournaments in the summer (Riga and Indian) and then its non stop from September onwards

Postby Lou147

SnookerFan wrote:Call me cynical, but I think Hearn would prefer nobody won the million.

The million to me is a way of creating some importance out of the Home Nation series, creating a talking point and getting publicity.

Not about the players actually getting a million. <laugh>

True, I think its also about having an incentive to have every player trying to play their best to make for an interesting as possible tournament(s)

Postby Wildey

Vallomas wrote:
Cheshire Cat wrote:The calendar is just far too packed with events during this October/November/December run and things like the Intl Championship, the CoC and the UK just make this event seem like a real petty occasion in comparison. A shame really, it's been the first event in Ireland for quite some time.

The truth is here. The calendar is full of big events and some guys need a rest. I don't think it's the million case, although I can see that if Selby or Bingham had won the English Open , they would have enter the Irish Open too, just to claim their little chances for the million.

The deadline for entry in to the event was before the English Open.

Postby Wildey

Lou147 wrote:
Cheshire Cat wrote:I'm from NI and extremely disappointed that they won't be entering, personally.

Spot on, annoys me how poorly spread out they are, not enough/pointless boring tournaments in the summer (Riga and Indian) and then its non stop from September onwards

Multi million pounds sports like Tennis and Golf has tournaments running simultaneous and Back to back which makes the Snooker tour look part time.

Postby SteveJJ

Plus last week and this week are invitational events so the bulk of players will have had a fortnight or more since their last tournament.

Postby TheSaviour

Yup, seems that the spirit of the sport was that they were finally forced out of this. The axe heads were thick and did heavy damage when thrown from about 10 or 12 paces.

But Ronnie. What a plonker <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

TheSaviour wrote:Yup, seems that the spirit of the sport was that they were finally forced out of this. The axe heads were thick and did heavy damage when thrown from about 10 or 12 paces.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:
TheSaviour wrote:Yup, seems that the spirit of the sport was that they were finally forced out of this. The axe heads were thick and did heavy damage when thrown from about 10 or 12 paces.

I wholeheartedly agree.

+1