Post a reply

Re: Betway United Kingdom Championship Final !!!!

Postby Clara8633

motorhead wrote:Think Selby's friend (Bobby?) lost his daughter by what could be gathered by Mark's words, we rarely see him very emotional.

Really? I heard him say that Bobby and his wife had a tragedy, but precisely what that was he didn't mention.

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:Selby thinks he's shut critics up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/38204096

Interesting comments of ROS. And he has a point. Atm it really feels like everyone is playing the match of their life against him.

With Selby at least you can say that hes in superform atm so no surpise.

But may it be journeymen like Wakelin and Michael Holt who beat him 3 times this year. A Gilbert or Hawkins in the world. Trump played unbelievable snooker in the latter stages of their final to beat him. Kyren wilson who won the decider in one visit after Ronnie made three consecutive centuries.

These days his aura and reputation rather seems to motivate the players and it brings the best out of them. The best out of the topplayers as well as for journeymen.

Postby Iranu

Until his 3 centuries that wasn't peak Selby. He can play better over 2+ sessions than he did yesterday. But as usual he pulled it out of the bag when he needed it.

The man is no grinder.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Selby's only critics are the circle-jerk of casuals that think century breaks are the only thing that matters in the game. No need for Selbs to even call those muppets out, they don't deserve the recognition.

As for Ronnie, he's not wrong. I think his fans can be OTT, but likewise i've noticed this almost cringeworthy hate for him 'just because he's Ronnie', which is equally as irritating. He is the man to beat, the players acknowledge that his presence in tournaments make them feel more special, and why shouldn't players relish the battle against him? Goodness knows how long he has left in the game.

This so-called 'new generation' need to get their act together and prove they can take over the mantle from the likes of Higgins and O'Sullivan. Higher standards? What a load of dross. More depth, perhaps, but not higher. Selby is the only player among them that truly has reached a high standard, and is more than deserving of being spoken of in the same breath as Hendry, Davis, Williams, Higgins etc.

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:Until his 3 centuries that wasn't peak Selby. He can play better over 2+ sessions than he did yesterday. But as usual he pulled it out of the bag when he needed it.

The man is no grinder.

Hes definitely a grinder but a grinder who has the ability to score very heavily.

This is the key difference to the other grinders. Like lets say Mark King, Fergal O'Brien, Peter Ebdon and others.

Ebdon obviously can be a heavy scorer at times, thats why he won the titles he won. But Selby is just that little bit better than him, in scoring and grinding and thats why hes has a better CV than Ebdon.

Being a extremely good grinder who has the ability to score heavy is the most dangerous combination for any opponent.

Massive pressure.They all know, they have to keep winning the frames in one visit otherwise defeat inevitable. Ronnie knew it, Murphy knew it. And they both failed.

Postby Dan-cat

TheRocket wrote:
Iranu wrote:Until his 3 centuries that wasn't peak Selby. He can play better over 2+ sessions than he did yesterday. But as usual he pulled it out of the bag when he needed it.

The man is no grinder.

Hes definitely a grinder but a grinder who has the ability to score very heavily.

This is the key difference to the other grinders. Like lets say Mark King, Fergal O'Brien, Peter Ebdon and others.

Ebdon obviously can be a heavy scorer at times, thats why he won the titles he won. But Selby is just that little bit better than him, in scoring and grinding and thats why hes has a better CV than Ebdon.

Being a extremely good grinder who has the ability to score heavy is the most dangerous combination for any opponent.

Massive pressure.They all know, they have to keep winning the frames in one visit otherwise defeat inevitable. Ronnie knew it, Murphy knew it. And they both failed.

The record-breaking grinding 5 tons in a best of 11 Fergal O'Brien :P

Postby gallantrabbit

Selby the current king and a fascinating player to watch. Ronnie can still blow anyone off the table when he's 100%, but has to be 100% these days, whereas in the past his aura won him two frames and too many players collapsed before getting into the arena. I think it's good for the game that Ronnie isn't the player to beat in the majors anymore, Ronnie is, but there's still no doubt that ON the table, Ronnie only does good for the game.

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:The player to beat is always whoever your current opponent is.

True. But at the same time youve got to say. If you want to win the title these days you'll probably have to beat Selby along the way. May it be in the first round, quarters, semis or final. Depending on draw.

Hes playing the snooker of his life atm and has never played better in his career.

Postby Cheshire Cat

SnookerFan wrote:Remember that time people used to insult Selby for only winning one ranking event, despite being a three time Masters champion?

rofl

Didn't you know? The Masters is only prestigious when Ronnie wins it.:john:

In all seriousness, The Masters seems to get beat on these days. I think it's because it's an invitational and a fairly short route to the final? Not as 'hard' as other events.

But it's no coincidence that Selby and O'Sullivan have dominated it almost the past decade (Ronnie won it in 2005, 2009, 2014 & 2016; made the final in 2006 and 2010. Likewise, Selby's record is equally as impressive.). I honestly think it's understated just how incredible these two have been at the Masters.

Postby SnookerFan

I quite enjoy The Masters. Probably more than the CoC.

Obviously not a ranker, but it's not supposed to be. Best of eleven matches featuring the best players in the world. Decent matches, right from the start.

Postby TheRocket

We might see another ROS-Selby final in the Masters. For the fourth time. Would be a record. But you have to say, if Selby wins that one as well, Ronnies H2H against Selby would be starting to get rubbish.

I know Ronnie has beaten Selby more times than Selby beat him but Selby has now beaten him in all three triple crown finals.

So that 2:1 lead in Masters finals against Selby is the only positive aspect from Ronnies point of view when looking at their h2h in the TC's.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Honestly, the best thing about this tournament was Saviour's 'Come on then' and 'You clown' lines.

I haven't LOL'd in a long time more than I did at the 'You clown' line, it was so random and you could feel the smug aggression with which he typed those words.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Selby thinks he's shut critics up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/38204096

Interesting comments of ROS. And he has a point. Atm it really feels like everyone is playing the match of their life against him.

With Selby at least you can say that hes in superform atm so no surpise.

But may it be journeymen like Wakelin and Michael Holt who beat him 3 times this year. A Gilbert or Hawkins in the world. Trump played unbelievable snooker in the latter stages of their final to beat him. Kyren wilson who won the decider in one visit after Ronnie made three consecutive centuries.

These days his aura and reputation rather seems to motivate the players and it brings the best out of them. The best out of the topplayers as well as for journeymen.

Yeah I agree, Ronnie's right, him being so big a box office, every player wants to play the match of their life against him. Some can do it, like Wakelin and Holt this year, others can't.

Ronnie is still more than good enough to keep winning titles, anyone who thinks otherwise is a deluded I am a twat. 3 Finals this season have more than shown that. Ronnie's problem is he doesn't start well in Finals these days. Just imagine if he had made the start that he made in the 2nd session in the 1st session? Selby would much likely be beaten, unfortunately it was all a bit too late in the 2nd given how far adrift he was.

But there were some very positive signs there, at least he didn't play any more rubbish in the 2nd and that was the Ronnie that can win titles, just has to do it right from the off in the most important match of all.

He'll win at least 1 title this season, mark my words.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:He'll win at least 1 title this season, mark my words.

Why not The Masters?

It's the sort of tournament he likes. One table from the start. He only has to win four matches. So none of this 'car boot sale' type early rounds.

People forget it was only a year ago he thrashed Hawkins 10-1 in the final.

It'll be tough if he gets drawn against Selby again.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:

Why not The Masters?

It's the sort of tournament he likes. One table from the start. He only has to win four matches. So none of this 'car boot sale' type early rounds.

I certainly didn't forget, nor the Welsh.

Ronnie's draw en route to the Final is in theory tough. He'll face either Carter or Robbo in the Quarters, but then in the Semis is likely to face either Trump or Higgins I think, opponents who have got the better of him very recently. In the Final could obviously be Selby again, not to mention he has to get past Wenbo first round, not easy by any means.

The Masters always seems to bring the best out of him though, it's the TC he's won the most and with most Finals.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Yes. For his fans, Ronnie genuinely looks like he wants to win and doesn't let his head drop, like he did in the past. That can only be a good thing. To fight back in the manner he did yesterday was something a Ronnie of years gone by could never have done.

There was a frame that Hendry pointed out, where Ronnie had a determined look on his face that I don't think I've ever seen before on O'Sullivan. I'd rather have him playing while he still can, and lose, rather than skip events and take seasons out.

Postby Incident on 57th street 20

The draw of Ronnie is very difficult to my taste.

Wenbo in the first round is really not a gift. I think it was the player to avoid for the top 8.

After Robbo or Carter but I think it will be robbo. And there it is a little unknown. It will eventually regain its level sooner or later. I will be wary from him

In semis , Higgins or trump if the logic is respected. Two players who do not succeed.

Final : Selby/ Ding probably.

Postby Incident on 57th street 20

Cheshire Cat wrote:Yes. For his fans, Ronnie genuinely looks like he wants to win and doesn't let his head drop, like he did in the past. That can only be a good thing. To fight back in the manner he did yesterday was something a Ronnie of years gone by could never have done.

There was a frame that Hendry pointed out, where Ronnie had a determined look on his face that I don't think I've ever seen before on O'Sullivan. I'd rather have him playing while he still can, and lose, rather than skip events and take seasons out.

"Ronnie had a determined look on his face"

I agree.

I think it was blatant in frame 15 if I remember correctly.

Postby PLtheRef

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Why not The Masters?

I certainly didn't forget, nor the Welsh.

Ronnie's draw en route to the Final is in theory tough. He'll face either Carter or Robbo in the Quarters, but then in the Semis is likely to face either Trump or Higgins I think, opponents who have got the better of him very recently. In the Final could obviously be Selby again, not to mention he has to get past Wenbo first round, not easy by any means.

The Masters always seems to bring the best out of him though, it's the TC he's won the most and with most Finals.

In theory it's a tough draw but I'm not convinced that it's that much a difficult run, at least until the Semi-Finals. The Masters is still a relatively new experience for Liang, in particularly facing Ronnie O'Sullivan at his 'home' venue. Neither Robertson or Carter have been playing brilliantly as of late (even if they have both won ranking events) and you'd make O'Sullivan favourite at the start of any theoretical quarter-final regardless of who he faces.

I would say the only real danger he faces in his half of the draw is Higgins.

Postby TheRocket

Selby,Higgins and Trump are the players who cause him the biggest problems. Traditionally. Selby and Higgins for obvious reasons (just extremely great matchplayers) and Trump on a good day just pots everything and he can do to Ronnie what Ronnie did time after time in his career so well. Outscoring his opponents and just reeling off frames in a few minutes. The way he came back in that COC final and UK final (even though he lost in the end) was just scary. And obviously he beat Ronnie twice in finals after that.

You could say, Its always a 50/50 match against those three.

But against anyone else Ronnie has an advantage right from the start of the match. Mainly due to the fact that he has such a dominant H2H against the majority of them. Some fear him more (like Carter, Williams,Ding,Murphy,Walden,Wenbo, Hawkins), some do less (Robertson, Bingham, Fu, Perry).

Postby Andre147

I agree against Trump, Higgins and Selby it's pretty much 50/50 match when ROS faces them. The rest fears him a bit, some more than others like you put it.

The determined look on his face Cheshire was when Ronnie was 8-6 down, potted the first red, then had that determined look as if: if you want to win this Mark, you need to play your best game, I'm not going anywhere. I'm here to battle it out.

It's not the first time I've seen it though, I remember at the German Masters 2012 Final Ronnie was as determined as I've ever seen him to win that title. He needed to in order to remain in the Top 16, he hadn't won a tournament since..... 2009 Shanghai Masters! So the 2012 German Masters was the start of his revival, hence he was as determined as ever.

Postby hendry_fan

:win: :happy: :clap: Mark Selby,UK CHAMP 2016!. :clap: :happy: :win:

I did,nt see much of this years UK,but i did actually see the whole of the final yesterday,even when Selbs went 7-2 in front,i kept quiet,as one never knows what can happen.

Ronnie did well to come back,but the damage was really already done in the 1st session,as i just wrote,many things can happen in snooker and it would,nt be the first time that a players come back from such a deficit,but i was confident that Selbs would pull it off and indeed he did.

When Selbs started to miss a few though and Ron started to comeback,i admit,i then thought,oh no,don,t tell me Selbs is gonna start to miss more and start to go down a gear,two,but luckily he did,nt,he knocked in some more BIG breaks,kept his foot on the pedal and punished Ron in the mistakes he made.

Of course everyone is entitled to there opinion,but those who are still tryin to tourist off,put Selbs down,callin him slow,boring,well it,s just pure n utter souuuuur grapes as far as i,m concerned,even those who don,t like him for whatever reasons can at least give him credit.

Even though Ronnie did,nt pull it off and did,nt manage to equal Davises record of 6 UK,S,he does have a wee consolation though,he,s now bumped up his final appearences in ranking tourneys up to 42,still 15 behind Hendry though. ;-)

The mighty Stephen Hendry is still ahead in that department,he still has a good lead. :-D

Ronnie= Ranking event finals: 42 (28 titles, 14 runners-up)

Stephen= Ranking event finals: 57 (36 titles, 21 runners-up)

Steve Davis= Ranking finals: 41 (28 titles, 13 runners-up)

John Higgins= Ranking event finals: 43 (28 titles, 15 runners-up)

Mark Selby= Ranking event finals: 19 (10 titles, 9 runners-up)

:win: BRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIANT STUFF MARK,thouroughly deserved. :win:
Last edited by hendry_fan on 06 Dec 2016, edited 2 times in total.