Post a reply

Re: Mark Williams on the standard of snooker today.

Postby Cheshire Cat

I know it's just how he is, but I wish MJW would stop being so self-deprecating all of the time.

He's an all-time great, maybe not on the same level as Hendry/ROS/Higgins, but still right up there with the best. He never seems to acknowledge that.

Postby snooker_loopy

Judd Trump and Neil Robertson are tremendous players when on top or near top form so you'd have to include them as major players of the current era. Trump's form is a bit hot and cold but ability-wise he's up there with the very best and Neil Robertson is no slouch neither.

And I agree about Mark Williams. He's a twice World Champion so that shows you how good he is.

Postby QSM

Pink Ball wrote:He's right, standard now is the worst it's been since mid 90s

Yes and no. I agree with what you're saying regarding the very top-players, but not regarding the whole tour. The strength in depth nowadays is certainly true compared to years gone by. The nr. 44 is better than the nr. 44 of the mid 90's, same with the nr. 34,57, etc. Also, a lower ranked player is more likely to beat a top-player then in the past. You could argue that is because the top is weaker, but Id say its becoz the lower ranked players are more capable then they've ever been. (BO7 obv help as well)

Though there are some real poor players around at the lowest end of the tour. 96 players would be better than 128.