Post a reply

Re: Betway United Kingdom Championship Quarter Finals !!!!

Postby Andre147

Cheshire Cat wrote:Neither player happy with the table it seems. Having a chat about it all the way as they left the arena.

Table wasn't great yesterday in the MJW match either.

Like TR said, MJW played like he did yesterdaym unfortunately against someone of Ronnie's calibre that was never going to be good enough to beat him.

I'm happy for Ronnie, but always gutted for MJW because he's also one of my favourite all time players.

Postby eraserhead

Terrible miss from Fu after a risky plant from Jones, Reds spread everywhere. Should make a decent break here.

Edit: also anyone know what position Ronnie's ranking is after his run here.
Last edited by eraserhead on 02 Dec 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby davisfan

I don't know about "only top pros noticing it" when the table's damp (DT on BBC comms); you can see the conditions aren't right just watching on TV.

What are they trying to do, save money on heating?

Postby Andre147

eraserhead wrote:

Now Ronnie's 16, he was 17 prior to this match.

I dont know how many places he'll climb if he wins, but at least I think he'll be around 13 or 12.

Postby TheRocket

Incident on 57th street 20 wrote:Ronnie has a high chance of playing Jones now.

I feel that some will restart the debate on the very clement draw of ronnie during this tournament.

Well, he'll probably play Selby in the final. Doesnt get any harder than that. That makes the easy draw until the semis forgettable.

Postby Andre147

Post match interview on ES: I liked Ronnie's overall attitude:

He said he's been working on his safety more and wants to put his opponent always in trouble, and trying to find that balance between safety and scoring. He also said he's eager to win a tournament, more so for the boys in the ES studio, lol.

Ronnie's safety game will definately have to be spot on if he does face Selby in the Final, which looks like more and more likely, unless a super inspired Murphy beats him.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Incident on 57th street 20 wrote:Who saw the end of Higgins-Selby.

I went to 4-3 for Higgins.

How was the level of play after?

Higgins missed a golden opportunity when he missed a red with the rest. He lost the plot after that, was never really in the match at all.

The decider was one Higgins will want to forget, he squandered a metric ton of chances. Quite a few bad misses.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Andre147 wrote:Post match interview on ES: I liked Ronnie's overall attitude:

He said he's been working on his safety more and wants to put his opponent always in trouble, and trying to find that balance between safety and scoring. He also said he's eager to win a tournament, more so for the boys in the ES studio, lol.

Ronnie's safety game will definately have to be spot on if he does face Selby in the Final, which looks like more and more likely, unless a super inspired Murphy beats him.

I still stand by what I said the other night, that 2012 World Championship Ronnie was the most 'complete' ROS i've ever seen. His safety was brilliant.

If he put his mind to it, his safety is right up there.

Postby Incident on 57th street 20

Very good words from him. :spot on:

Really good sign for the continuation of the tournament but also of the season

Postby Iranu

Yeah was a very good interview I thought. He even indicated that he enjoys playing :O

His safety was superb almost all match, which is the best sign he can take from what in the end wasn't really much of a match.

Gutted for Williams, I'd love him to get closer to the other two of the Triumvirate in terms of majors. But the way he's playing it doesn't seem at all likely.

Postby Incident on 57th street 20

Cheshire Cat wrote:
Incident on 57th street 20 wrote:Who saw the end of Higgins-Selby.

I went to 4-3 for Higgins.

How was the level of play after?

Higgins missed a golden opportunity when he missed a red with the rest. He lost the plot after that, was never really in the match at all.

The decider was one Higgins will want to forget, he squandered a trichome ton of chances. Quite a few bad misses.

I thank you for your precision.

Postby Cheshire Cat

On that note, ROS has been in the practice bit behind the beeb studio quite a lot this week. He was practicing a lot of safety shots and/or break offs.

I couldn't tell which it was, but the white kept coming back to the balk end, so it was one of those.

Postby davisfan

Andre147 wrote:
eraserhead wrote:

Now Ronnie's 16, he was 17 prior to this match.

I dont know how many places he'll climb if he wins, but at least I think he'll be around 13 or 12.

Just did the maths, as rankings are fun :john: though they don't mean nearly as much as they once did.

UK is £75k for runner-up, £170k for winner, so ROS will go 10th or 7th in each case.

Postby Andre147

eraserhead wrote:If Ronnie plays Selby I think his long game will play a big role he was so on it in their last two matches.

His long game and safety play will have to be pretty clinical.

That's something that's been lacking in his last few Finals.

Postby Andre147

Ronnie only lost 5 frames all tournament, which is quite impressive even if he had a kind draw. Kind draws mean nothing if you dont make the most of them.

Look at Selby for instance, Wells could have easily beaten him here.

And all players', at some stage in their careers, win a tournament having a kind draw. Ronnie will likely have Selby though, and it doesnt get any tougher than him atm.

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Bold prediction, but I think if we get a Selby-Ronnie final Selby will win comfortably this time.

What makes you think that then?

I fancy Selby to raise his game, while I think Sullivan's game drops against Selby. Selby's game has never suited Sullivan's anyway. I don't like Selby but in a big match I fancy him to beat anyone right now.

Postby SnookerFan

Cheshire Cat wrote:
SavoMilosevic wrote:What did Ronnie say to Mark?

Ronnie said: "Come on then."

MJW said: "You clown."

Just kidding. They were saying stuff about not being able to play shots right, from what I could vaguely hear. Complaining about the conditions.

:goodpost:

Postby Cheshire Cat

Andre147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Bold prediction, but I think if we get a Selby-Ronnie final Selby will win comfortably this time.

What makes you think that then?

Some might think Selby is 'due' a win, seeing as Ronnie has won the last two at the Masters and the Welsh. To win a third time in a row would be quite a statement.