Post a reply

Re: Betway United Kingdom Championship Last 16 !!!!

Postby Iranu

"When you're playing well, you get the luck."

I bucking hate that saying, it's such a huge load of marmite.

I feel like the start of this match will be good for Ronnie in terms of sharpness.

Postby mantorok

Cheshire Cat wrote:So glad to see Matthew taking the game to Ronnie. ROS said he wanted a 6-3 or 6-4 match eventually, this could be it.

Yep totally, too talented players going toe-to-toe, should be a close one.

Postby mantorok

Iranu wrote:"Hit it too well." That's another one.

If you travel too far you've hit the shot wrong, that's the end of it.

This is usually in reference to the spin applied, if you do stroke a shot really well you're going to get more spin, and potentially run the cue ball too far.

Yes you've hit the shot wrong, but sometimes that can be because you delivered the shot so well.

Postby Iranu

mantorok wrote:

This is usually in reference to the spin applied, if you do stroke a shot really well you're going to get more spin, and potentially run the cue ball too far.

Yes you've hit the shot wrong, but sometimes that can be because you delivered the shot so well.

I understand the statement. I disagree that you've hit it "too well." You've put the wrong amount of action on the ball. The fact that you struck the ball "better" than you expected to is a misjudgement and therefore an error, so you haven't hit the ball well.

Postby PoolBoy

Random thought:

If a player is 38 points behind with just the (27 points) colours remaining (for example), the commentators always refer to a player as 'needing 3 snookers'. (...as they trail by 11 points more than is available).

But, that's not really the case.
If the player needing the '3 snookers' potted yellow, green, brown and blue he'd then be 24 behind with 13 points left on (obviously still 11 points fewer than they need).
But without having 'got a snooker' they'd no longer require 3 snookers, but instead, just 2!

Perhaps the correct phrase should be "..he needs 11 points of snookers" - rather than a specific number!

Also, the player in the lead could accidentally foul the black, giving away 7 points from one snooker.

Random thought over! <laugh>

Postby mantorok

Iranu wrote:
mantorok wrote:

I understand the statement. I disagree that you've hit it "too well." You've put the wrong amount of action on the ball. The fact that you struck the ball "better" than you expected to is a misjudgement and therefore an error, so you haven't hit the ball well.

Hitting something well can also mean too hard :D

Postby Dan-cat

mantorok wrote:

It's a bullcrap expression. If you hit it well, you got it right.