Post a reply

Re: Betway United Kingdon Championship Last 128 !!!!!

Postby Iranu

snucar wrote: Do you really think Eurosport is really doing a much better job just because it has Ronnie in the studio? I love him as a player but as a commentator he's as boring as Ken Doherty if you ask me. Full of cliches and brings nothing new. I won't even start about Jimmy White or Murray and Foulds. Only ITV is doing a slightly better job both on commentating and production values but the general picture and patterns is still the very same as the BBC (I repeat) defined long time a go.

So, I firmly believe those 3 tournaments deserve to be there on top of others because this is where most of snooker's history has been made and that's something all the Opens, IC, CoC etc can't buy.

I agree with you on everybody except Neil Foulds. He is an excellent pundit and commentator. Ronnie and Jimmy aren't great, but Neil is their unsung hero, so to speak. I will agree with you about Colin Murray who is one of the most irritating people on TV, nothing but rubbish jokes, smug grins and shameless pandering.

But the BBC commentators/pundits, with the exception and Davis and Hendry (and even he is starting to slip, despite being good on ITV) have an absolutely lamentable knowledge of current snooker. With any player who's outside the top 16 and under 35 you'll hear them say "I don't know anything about this player/ he's surprising everyone here/ he's showing us he can play." Guys, some of these players are semi-regularly reaching quarter finals of tournaments! Pull your golf clubs out of your baboons shiny behinds and actually watch some of the sport you claim to love and you would know that. Hell, you might even be able to educate the audience on players who didn't retire in 1994.

In regard to history, honestly I think it's overrated by some. That's not to say it isn't important but that shouldn't give a tournament a divine right to be considered a major. History takes time to achieve after all. Look at the Australian Open in tennis. 30 years ago a lot of the top players didn't even bother playing there, but over time its pedigree grew as more players started to take it seriously and treat it as a true grand slam.

Look at football teams like Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa, Leeds, Wolves. All have had great periods of success in their past but you couldn't call them Big Clubs now (and I say that as a Villa fan,) not truly.

The UK is ahead of most tournaments but not head and shoulders in my opinion. As I've said before, give it another 10 years of them being held and something like the CoC or the International Championship could easily match or supercede it. At the end of the day, whether a tournament is a major depends ENTIRELY on how it is viewed by the players, and if the governing body continues to rest on its laurels and treat it as a normal tournament the players will follow suit, and history can only do so much to withstand that.

Look at the Welsh Open. As of this season's iteration it has TWENTY FIVE years of history, it's basically as old as I am, but it will (rightly) never be considered a major because its format, prize money and perception don't warrant it.

For what it's worth, for me The Masters is comfortably above the UK in the number two slot.

Apologies for typos, I'm using my phone and this post is too long to go back and check through.

Tl;dr: Apologise to Neil Foulds Goddammit!

Postby snucar

Word on the streets is that the mighty Sundaygirl is the Stephen Hendry of this kind of contests. Should I give it a try? Truth is I don't fancy being someone's Jimmy White.

Postby Andre147

snucar wrote:Word on the streets is that the mighty Sundaygirl is the Stephen Hendry of this kind of contests. Should I give it a try? Truth is I don't fancy being someone's Jimmy White.

Why not? you never entered one have you? Give it a go, the more people enter the better.

Postby PLtheRef

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:If the tournament had just 64 players it would be better. You would only need four tables in the early rounds and have best of 17's from the quarter finals.

Plus it would mean no need for the use of the Sports Hall. Although it's open to the public it's not really a good setup IMO as the public enter at table level which even with entry being restricted to the end of the frame on the first table can't be ideal for the players. At least in the early stages you can enter the main arena from the balcony - well out of sight

Postby PLtheRef

Cloud Strife wrote:I've made the prediction contest for anyone who wants to enter.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6893&p=446632#p446632

Excellent.

I think the 128 player events are probably the most time consuming to run (given the number of matches that need scoring - particularly early doors)- so fair play and many thanks for taking it on. :hatoff:

Postby Lou147

Say what you like about the format (I hate it myself), but the UK is still way bigger and more special than the IC and other Chinese tournaments, there is very little excitement in the likes of a Selby v Ding being watched by 3 blokes and a labrador. But yeah, I would love to see the old BO17 and BO31 final back, it would be amazing

Postby SnookerFan

snucar wrote:Word on the streets is that the mighty Sundaygirl is the Stephen Hendry of this kind of contests. Should I give it a try? Truth is I don't fancy being someone's Jimmy White.

She has quite the reputation on the street.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Poom, Poom, Poom.

Everybody say Poomjaeng. :ba:

Poomjaeng.

Thre I've said it

BUT EVERYBODY HAS TO SAY IT! :grrr:

POOMJAENG!!!

That's my contribution. :clap:

Postby SnookerEd25

Andre147 wrote:Times move on, regardless. Those 3 events are still head and shoulders above the rest.

The UK is the one which has suffered the most, The Masters and the Worlds haven't changed formats... but I wouldn't put it past Hearn to change some things in those... when he first came in he said those 3 tournaments he would never touch, but he did touch the UK.. remains to be seen if he'll do the same thing to the other 2, hope not.

Getting the 2-day final back would go a long way to restoring some prestige in this tournament (and less players at the venue, less tables in play, longer matches in the earlier rounds etc etc)

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:When can Hawkins and King play?

I'm hoping for them to clash again in the final. rofl

Hawkins plays David John this afternoon 2.30pm and King plays Sam Craigie tomorrow afternoon at 2.30pm

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Hawkins plays David John this afternoon 2.30pm and King plays Sam Craigie tomorrow afternoon at 2.30pm

Sorry, probably didn't make myself clear.

If they win their matches, what stage of the competition are they due to play each other?