Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Champion of Champions Group 3 !!!!!!!!

Postby Lou147

Cant wait for this one, me ma got rid of Eurosport a few weeks ago so I haven't seen any snooker since the English Open

Postby PLtheRef

Big-butt wrote:That's right, but still think odds of 3 and 2 and a half are short considering the recent poor performance?

I wouldn't necessarily say so. Yes O'Sullivan has had some rather surprising early exits so far this season but he also was runner up in the European Masters where he was relatively untroubled except against Allen - and may well have won it on another day.

With a relatively straight forward group draw (compared to the other groups) there is much expectation on O'Sullivan to reach the Semi-Finals. Should he get there, wouldn't it be likely that he'd be those odds come the Semi-Finals anyway?

With the CoC involving several players who had good runs in the China Championship, it may well prove to be advantageous to O'Sullivan to have had a weeks rest. The main challengers are going to be O'Sullivan, Trump and Selby I feel.

Postby Dan-cat

From the ITV4 website:

'One of the biggest events of the snooker season sees the winners of major tournaments compete for a top prize of 100,000 pounds at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry. Masters winner Ronnie O'Sullivan will be one of the favourites to lift the trophy once again, having missed last year's competition. He faces Shoot Out winner Robin Hull, while German Masters winner Martin Gould meets World Seniors Champion, Mark Davis. Presented by Jill Douglas with Stephen Hendry, Neal Foulds and Alan McManus and commentary from Clive Everton and Phil Yates.'

Surprised to see Hendry pundit here I thought he was tied to the BBC.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:From the ITV4 webiste:

'One of the biggest events of the snooker season sees the winners of major tournaments compete for a top prize of 100,000 pounds at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry. Masters winner Ronnie O'Sullivan will be one of the favourites to lift the trophy once again, having missed last year's competition. He faces Shoot Out winner Robin Hull, while German Masters winner Martin Gould meets World Seniors Champion, Mark Davis. Presented by Jill Douglas with Stephen Hendry, Neal Foulds and Alan McManus and commentary from Clive Everton and Phil Yates.'

Surprised to see Hendry pundit here I thought he was tied to the BBC.

He's worked for ITV previously. I think it was the Players Tour Finals.

Actually, there was a notable difference between him on ITV and what he is like on the BBC now. He seems to phone it in a lot on the BBC these days, like he's not too bothered. He seemed more analytical, and discussed the players shots more. On the BBC he just ignores Dennis Taylor and sulks every time somebody outside the top-16 has the audacity to win a match.

Maybe he's just disillusioned with the BBC, maybe ITV push him more to go into detail. Whatever it is, his commentary seemed a lot better when he changes television studios.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:He could also be getting different direction from the ITV director.

I wouldn't be surprised.

The BBC's coverage is aimed more at casuals who only watch the majors, so they are happy to have their commentators make jokes and talk about who they played golf with. Knowledge of the modern game is less important than the ability to make people laugh through their earpieces.

ITV on the other hand aren't showing majors, so assume that people watching are more hardcore fans. Hence, instead of features and celebrity guests, they do frame-by-frame analysis. So to commentate on ITV, you have to talk more in-depth than the BBC go with their coverage.

Postby SnookerFan

sas6789 wrote:I don't find anything wrong with Hendry's commentary, I think he's just opinionated and not afraid to say it as it is.

I'm fine with that. That's the positive in what he does.

But just because somebody gives their honest opinion, doesn't mean their opinion is automatically correct. We're allowed to point things they say we disagree with.

He's still one of the best commentators the BBC has got. I just feel it's a bit obvious he doesn't want to be there at times. He freely admits that he doesn't watch snooker unless he's paid to do so. When he was still playing, especially when he was in the qualifying, he spoke with knowledge about the people he was commentating on, because often he'd playing them quite recently. He's lost that somewhat since he retired.

Also, he often gets a bit Willie Thorne in his commentary on snooker players he doesn't like. Which can be annoying at times. Criticise poor-play, or whatever. But look at his UK Championship final commentary last year. He wouldn't leave Liang alone. He might as well have just gone; "I hate Liang!" after every shot.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:My main problem with Hendry is he doesn't talk enough.

Edit: only problem*

Half the time when he's not talking, it's because he's ignoring Dennis Taylor. rofl

I think he's got disillusioned from working on the BBC. Which is why he sounds grumpy working there, at times.

Last time for ITV he looked like he was enjoying it more.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:He could also be getting different direction from the ITV director.

I wouldn't be surprised.

The BBC's coverage is aimed more at casuals who only watch the majors, so they are happy to have their commentators make jokes and talk about who they played golf with. Knowledge of the modern game is less important than the ability to make people laugh through their earpieces.

ITV on the other hand aren't showing majors, so assume that people watching are more hardcore fans. Hence, instead of features and celebrity guests, they do frame-by-frame analysis. So to commentate on ITV, you have to talk more in-depth than the BBC go with their coverage.

:goodpost:

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Lolz. Jill's first line as should looked at the panel of Neal, Alan and Hendo - 'They've got seven world titles between them'

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

~To be fair she isn't wrong, just chose the wrong words :roll: