Post a reply

Ronnie's New Book: Double Kiss - A review

Postby Andy Spark

In this episode the chief protagonist, one Frankie James, becomes embroiled in Balearic Islands related escapades. Sample of writing...

"...almost wishes one had been born a Kroat.
Oi, mate, two pints of Guinness,' some bumfluff-chinned, pumped-up teenage lump..."

"Double Kiss" is the second book in the Soho Nights series and already the whole thing is showing worrying signs of becoming an interminable foray into the lives of the kind of "dodgy geezers" that you might put up with on a drunk night out down the pub, but you would sincerely wish to forget about when sobered up in the morning. These are the kind of people for whom expressions such as, "Oi Oi Saveloy" stand for not just appropriate greetings, but also excuses to puff one's chest out and proudly proclaim to the world that they are, in the words of the characters, "streetwise motherf**kers". At the end of this book I felt as grubby as the characters themselves and would never have gone through this whole sordid experience had not Ronnie O'Sullivan's name been up there as the supposed author.

Another point is that, as a big Ronnie fan, I've been constantly subjected to Ronnie's unique version of the English language and I don't really believe he wrote this; I suspect that Ronnie was giving ideas to a wordsmith who then wrote a deliberately average book, packed full of slang, in order to sustain the illusion that Ronnie wrote it on some rainy day.

I suppose the question is: Is it any good? Well, it's not rubbish; but it hardly sets the world on fire with new visions of a shadowy underworld either. Generally forgettable.

Marks out of 10....four. Stick to snooker Ronnie!
Last edited by Andy Spark on 29 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Ronnie's New Book: Double Kiss - A review

Postby Hyperion

Ronnie will have had very little to do with any of his books, as you note. He isn't a writer in any way, and his grammar is generally terrible. It's laughable that the media keep up this pretense that he is an author.

Re: Ronnie's New Book: Double Kiss - A review

Postby Cloud Strife

Hyperion wrote:Ronnie will have had very little to do with any of his books, as you note. He isn't a writer in any way, and his grammar is generally terrible. It's laughable that the media keep up this pretense that he is an author.

As long as there is someone out there who can make a buck out of Ronnie, the pretense will continue.

Personally, it doesn't bother me too much as long as Ronnie gets his share of the pie.