Post a reply

Snooker books

Postby Tubberlad

Snooker is one sport where we're blessed with some pretty good reads. I can't say reading is one of my favourite hobbies, but I do like the occasional sports autobiography, and snooker is a goldmine as far as books are concerned.

Jimmy White's autobiography is unsurprisingly a riveting read, with his portrayal of his early life particularly eye-catching. It's refreshingly free of snooker, as I'm sure most will agree White is almost as well know for his off-table accomplishments as he is for what he's done on the table. There's no self-pity there, and I think Sue Mott of the Sunday Telegraph sums it up best. 'He may play a spellbinding game, full of invention & dash. He may even be the best snooker player in the world - but he is loved because he is naughty... and therein lies his abiding appeal'.

Alex Higgins, well, his scribblings were never going to be dull. It's raw, no doubt about it, and he's not afraid to tackle the big talking points. 'From the Eye of the Hurricane' is a fine read, and I'd recommend it to anyone. As the Mail on Sunday put it... 'any page of this autobiography is more entertaining than Wayne Rooney's collective works'. There's also a very entertaining biography written by someone who's name escapes me at the present time, if anyone could help, feel free to comment.

Ronnie O'Sullivan, for me, has put together the most enjoyable book, surprisingly enough. It's brutally honest, no punch is spared, and he's particularly clear in expressing his opinions on fellow players in profiling them: Hendry, Williams, even John Parrott. Prozac, depression, his father, family life... all tackled here. It's badly in need of some updating however, only goes as far as the 2001 World Championships, and as we all know, plenty has happened in the life of the Rocket since then.

Clive Everton's 'Black Farce & Cue Ball Wizards' is another fine book in the endless list of fabulous snooker books. I reguard Clive as the most knowledgable, and arguably the most respected, man in snooker. In this book, he scrutinises the handling or lack thereof by those in charge of the game, and it's a pretty disturbing read to see how things were mismanaged.

I can't say I've read any books on how to play the game, as I don't play very regularly and haven't done so for six years, but if anyone wants to recommend any books, or add to the list above, feel free to do so.

Re: Snooker books

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

There are a a couple of biographies on Alex Higgins. One, by John Hennessey contained a funny quote from Alex Higgins, the first time they spoke at one of his press conferences after they fell out. John Hennessey asked Alex Higgins a question, Alex Higgins looked back & replied, "the only Hennessey I'm interested in is Brandy". <laugh>

I picked up another Alex Higgins biography yesterday funny enough, by a guy called Bill Borrows. It was released in 2002 but is supposed to be a good read.

Postby N_Castle07

Tubber can you explain a little what Ronnie says about Williams, Hendry and Parrott. Must have been a brave decision to write about them and then go back to work with the three of them.

Postby Smart

I have the Eye of the Hurricane and also Jimmy White (signed at the EISS) Behind the white ball (think it is called that).

Also got Matchroom Snooker instruction book. Loads of autographs on it - fookin plastered in them. Good book with decent explanations and colour photos. <ok>

:wave:

Postby Lucky

StalinESQ wrote:Also got Matchroom Snooker instruction book. Loads of autographs on it - fookin plastered in them. Good book with decent explanations and colour photos. <ok>

:wave:

Unfortunately you cant read a fuckin' word of it as its covered in snooker scribble rofl

Postby Roland

The Graeme Dott book has just arrived. Will start reading later. Where's that other topic gone? Should maybe shift a few posts into this topic.

Postby Roland

I've snuck a look and read the first 5 pages. It's already better than the Virgo book.

:santa:

Postby simplysnooker

Sonny, have you read the Virgo book with his stories about Alex Higgins? If so, what did you think of it, as was considering buying it.

Postby Roland

I wouldn't buy it. You'll be able to pick it up in a car boot sale for 2p in a couple of months. I wouldn't believe the few reviews there are on snooker sites, it seems some were sent the book to review and because they got a free copy they gave a favourable review. There are about 3 good stories about Alex and the rest is Virgo rambling himself into a coma. It is one of the worst written books I've ever read.

See with Dotty, I'm 5 pages in and already I know as soon as I get home I'm going to start reading it again.

Dotty :bowdown:

I did give more of a review in another topic a few weeks ago but I'd need to go looking for it.

Postby Roland

Ok found it

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1955

Sonny wrote:Right, I've finished the John Virgo book called "Let me tell you about Alex".

Firstly, what it really should be called is "Let me tell you about me, oh by the way, I used to know Alex Higgins and have a couple of stories about him as well".

I save you all the bother of reading it by recounting the best bits:

During a visit to Canada in the mid 70's for the Canadian Open, Alex Higgins played cards and lost to Willie Thorne and owed him a few hundred quid. Because WT knew he wouldn't get the money, he saw Alex had won a giant teddy bear at a fair and so asked for that as payment so Alex gave him the bear. After this Alex phoned his ex who was in Australia, and told her he hated Canada and if she flew over to meet him he would take her to Manchester and marry her. So she arrived at the airport, and spotted the teddy bear WT was holding, and got upset when she found out Alex had won it and "given" it to WT instead of her (obviously the story about the gambling debt never surfaced). She took a seperate plane back to the UK, and Virgo was sat in between WT and Higgins on the flight back and apparently the whole flight involved bickering about the teddy bear because Alex wanted it back and WT wouldn't give it back, and they nearly came to blows.

OK maybe JV tells it funnier than me, but that was one.

Then during the 1982 World Championships at the Crucible (the famous one), Higgins was on the practice table as they were about to lock the building up for the night. The security guard said to Higgins "OK finish up after this frame, we're locking up now" and Alex replied (this is classic)

"I'm practicing for the World Championships. So buck off!"

He then refused to leave and ended up having a snake hiss in a flower display because he thought if he went to the toilet, the room would be locked when he came back.

So after the Worlds, there was the disciplinary hearing about this incident, and they were about to throw the book at him when Alex sent bottles of champagne to the committee (you've all heard this story). Then to cut a long story short, he charmed them, showed them baby Lauren, promised that this win had changed him and walked off. But he was listening on the door and heard a couple of things said then came bursting in swearing all over the place and calling them corrupt or words to that effect and Terry Griffiths said "He hasn't changed at all has he?".

And then he was on This Is Your Life, and one of the guests was Suzy Quattro and Higgins spent most of the night trying to get £400 off her he said she owed him. And when Virgo was on This Is Your Life, Higgins gave him an embrace in front of the studio audience and said in his ear "You're still a runt".

The upshot about Alex is that he never paid up when he lost a bet, but went chasing to the nth degree when he won.

The overall summary of the book is this: marmite.

John Virgo is not very clever, he can't write, I would say he just talked to a ghost writer while getting sozzled as he dictated. He repeats himself all over the place, eulogises the same sort of crap he comes out with in commentary, and he's an opportunist by writing this book. But then you know he's an opportunist when you read it because it's about him really.

3/10

Postby Roland

<laugh>

I'll let you know how I get on.

By all means get the Virgo book, don't take my word for it if you want to know more about Alex Higgins from an insiders point of view, but I'd say most of the stories have probably been told 1000 times in after dinner speeches over the years, they have that feel of gathering length through being told so many times if you get me. But Virgo is not an author, he's a bloke from Salford who could play a bit of snooker in the 70's and got famous for having a dry face which made people laugh. I would wait until it comes down in price significantly which it will, or borrow it from a library.

Postby Roland

I'm a few chapters into Dotty's book now, about a third of the way through and past the first set of pictures and I'm really enjoying it.

It's great to read about the Blackpool qualifiers from the point of view of a young player who did well there. And it's also good to read about the relationship he had with his manager and wife's father because we've all heard about him but when you read the book and see what he did for Dott and the support he gave him and you realise why Dott was so affected by his death.

I like the story about Dott playing snooker on a full size table for the first time and getting a 40 break in his first ever frame - something he can't even recall because he didn't know how significant it was but the people who were with him at the time still talk about it and knew straight away he was something out of the ordinary.

You also get a good glimpse into his character, how he grew up on a very rough and massive council estate in Glasgow with all the gang culture there rooted in the Protestant v Catholic thing, yet managed to escape unscathed by walking different routes home from school every day and generally keeping his head down. It sounds like he's a good runner and avoids trouble by literally running away. If he has a bad experience somewhere, he never goes there again. And that applies to most things in life, not just places.

Anyway, looking forward to the meat of the book now.

Postby Roland

OK I've read a few more chapters and I'm up to the 2006 World semi final.

In one chapter he has real pop at Willie Thorne talking rubbish in the commentary box and allowing it to get into his head as he was playing knowing what Thorne would be saying (he says Neil Foulds is the best commentator but isn't used as much as he should be) and he also has a pop at internet forums where members of the public say the most hurtful things he can imagine so he steers clear. Who can blame him with all the "Worst World Champion" bull I saw everywhere across various snooker forums which only really stopped when he reached his 3rd world final. He doesn't have a very thick skin by the sounds of it, but we love you here Dotty <ok>

The most fascinating part of the book so far starts with him describing the 2004 World final against Ronnie and how he couldn't believe how good he was. Every good safety shot Dott hit, Ronnie would reply with an even better one and snooker him. This was when Reardon was with Ronnie if you remember and he was enjoying the art of safety more and also the year he had long hair and put those false teeth in (which I still cringe at).

Anyway, then we get into the 2006 Worlds and the semi with Ronnie (after losing 10-9 to Ian McCulloch in 2005 round 1, someone who Dotty hates playing calling him too slow - there's some rivalry going on there between them, maybe more from Dott than McCulloch and I'd be interested to know McCulloch's take). I don't want to ruin it for anyone who buys the book so I'll just say it's fascinating seeing what was going on in Dott's head as the whole snooker world wondered what Ronnie was playing at when he bit his tip off to force an interval just when Dott was starting to get the upper hand. And I'm sure everyone knows it because we've watched him for so long but Dott tells the reader how to beat Ronnie O'Sullivan.

I'm going to have to read the next bit now. I left it as Ronnie walked back into the arena with a new tip and without offering Dott an apology or even a glance at him in acknowlegment of his presence. I'm guessing this fired the pocket dynamo up :redneck:

Postby Smart

Tubberlad wrote:Sounds like a cracking read <ok>

Yeah it does, but Sonny is somewhat ruining it for me now.......................

Q: Sonny is it worth me buying it now, after you have told the story so far. :chin: :wave:

Postby Roland

Absolutely. I'm touching on what's in it but without giving any details e.g. exactly what he said about the commentators, internet forums, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Alex his mentor etc etc, but if you want less detail.... tough :redneck:

no I'll try to keep it more review and less detail as I can.

The Dott v Robbo match in 2006 gets a mention too btw <ok>

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:Absolutely. I'm touching on what's in it but without giving any details e.g. exactly what he said about the commentators, internet forums, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Alex his mentor etc etc, but if you want less detail.... tough :redneck:

Cool, it sounds a real good book. <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

Smart wrote:
Sonny wrote:Absolutely. I'm touching on what's in it but without giving any details e.g. exactly what he said about the commentators, internet forums, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Alex his mentor etc etc, but if you want less detail.... tough :redneck:

Cool, it sounds a real good book. <ok>

yes i like biographys

Postby Roland

Best snooker book I've read for a long time. <ok>

I've got the World title, the slump and the re-emergence still to come and this guy isn't going to pull any punches. He says it exactly how he sees it.

Postby Bourne

Does he mention me ? :excited:

Postby GJ

there was needle in 2006 in the dott quarter final but they get on well now it appears

Postby Smart

I've got his autograph and spoke to him at qualifiers when he criticised the table in his match with Michie. They both stopped playing for the match to be moved to another table. Does that get mentioned and does his meeting with me get mentioned. AM I IN THE BOOK>>>>>>>>>>PLS SKIM READ AND LET ME KNOW TONIGHT. :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

Postby Tubberlad

You just know this is going to be a good book because Dott is a brutally honest guy, at least that's how he comes across. No bull, a bit like his game to be honest. Always liked the guy... if I got the choice of reading John Virgo's book or Dott's, Virgo can go shove it.

Postby Roland

This is really good stuff, fascinating hearing how he plays the players to their weaknesses in 2006. Dott is a match player for the connoisseurs (and even compares himself to Selby who is another) and he talks in boxing terms, taking punches counter punching and trying to stay on top and hammer at the opponents weaknesses until they crack. He has absolutely nothing to apologise for and nor did he at the time after the 2006 final. It is one of my all time favourite finals and Dott had a game plan and stuck to it after losing the previous 5 times to Ebdon. He knew what he had to do to win, and did it. It wasn't pretty, but it was effective. Match play.

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:This is really good stuff, fascinating hearing how he plays the players to their weaknesses in 2006. Dott is a match player for the connoisseurs (and even compares himself to Selby who is another) and he talks in boxing terms, taking punches counter punching and trying to stay on top and hammer at the opponents weaknesses until they crack. He has absolutely nothing to apologise for and nor did he at the time after the 2006 final. It is one of my all time favourite finals and Dott had a game plan and stuck to it after losing the previous 5 times to Ebdon. He knew what he had to do to win, and did it. It wasn't pretty, but it was effective. Match play.

That's a fascinating insight into how Dott plays a match... 2006 wasn't a glamorous final by any means, but it was a fascinating one without doubt. How many players would do the following: have a 15-7 lead, see it whittled down to 16-14, trail the next frame by 60 odd points and knock in an even better break, before taking the title?

Postby Bourne

2006 final was easily my favourite of the last 5 finals <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:2006 final was easily my favourite of the last 5 finals <ok>

I think you're right, though I'd give 2007 and honorable mention too. Selby's fightback in the third session was immense.