Post a reply

Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Witz78

anyone point me in the right direction and where the best place is to find decent quality dvds of classic matches.

are there any dedicated websites specialising in them or do you just have to take your chances on ebay?

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Rocket_ron

well my old boss's wife works for john players (which is a tobacco firm) and in 2005 when embassy finished their sponsership of world snooker they made a dvd of the history of the world snooker championship under embassy. if anyone wanted a copy i could make one for them.

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Smart

Witz

I have bought some decent stuff from ebay, but it is of course a bit of a lottery as there is no money back guarantee. They are generally pretty cheap to buy and there is a good selection of stuff on offer.

My best buy is probably Higgins vs White from the 1985 UK.

But I also bagged the Higgins vs Davis 83 UK final.

Classic viewing for any snooker nut. :wave:

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Smart

rocket_ron wrote:well my old boss's wife works for john players (which is a tobacco firm) and in 2005 when embassy finished their sponsership of world snooker they made a dvd of the history of the world snooker championship under embassy. if anyone wanted a copy i could make one for them.


R-ron - that is a very kind offer. :wave:

Can I pay you back with a Gin 'n coke....... <laugh>

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:well my old boss's wife works for john players (which is a tobacco firm) and in 2005 when embassy finished their sponsership of world snooker they made a dvd of the history of the world snooker championship under embassy. if anyone wanted a copy i could make one for them.


R-ron - that is a very kind offer. :wave:

Can I pay you back with a Gin 'n coke....... <laugh>

how did i know you were gonna come on here with the old gin n coke joke??? <laugh>

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:evening R-ron :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

I am like a dog with a bone, always come back for more - relentless. <laugh>

PS there is a new poll in World Champs section, please use it. :wave:

evening smart :wave:
voted on it already ;)

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Witz78

cheers for the replies guys,

ive just been on ebay and bought the Higgins - White 83 UK Final DVD

also got sidetracked and ended up buying an Eddie Charlton book on how to play all the different shots (i had it as a kid, and it was great but i lost it, so pleased to find a copy on ebay :) )

and also a framed picture of Alex Higgins to hang up in the spare room AKA the games room / bar :pool: :cheers: :headphones:

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:cheers for the replies guys,

ive just been on ebay and bought the Higgins - White 83 UK Final DVD

also got sidetracked and ended up buying an Eddie Charlton book on how to play all the different shots (i had it as a kid, and it was great but i lost it, so pleased to find a copy on ebay :) )

and also a framed picture of Alex Higgins to hang up in the spare room AKA the games room / bar :pool: :cheers: :headphones:

good lad

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Smart

There are quite a few Higgins/White pictures too last time I looked. From the 82 SF match.

Do you mean you bought the Davis/Higgins 83 final.... :huh:

I thought about buying a White DVD that had been compiled of his Mercantile win vs Thorburn, but it stated clarly that the quality of the recording was not perfect so it put me off to be honest. <ok>

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:There are quite a few Higgins/White pictures too last time I looked. From the 82 SF match.

Do you mean you bought the Davis/Higgins 83 final.... :huh:

I thought about buying a White DVD that had been compiled of his Mercantile win vs Thorburn, but it stated clarly that the quality of the recording was not perfect so it put me off to be honest. <ok>


yeh Davis - Higgins, i was still thinking about the White - Higgins pictures id seen from the 82 WC SF when i wrote that <doh>

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Smart

I think with the big gap between the China Open and now, I may take the opportunity to watch some old DVDs. I also bought the Ronnie Bad Boy DVD from ebay and a few others, with the world doubles being one of them. Never watched it since I bought it. :wave:

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:I also bought the Ronnie Bad Boy DVD from ebay

Smart, whats that dvd all about. i wouldn't mind that

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Smart

rocket_ron wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:I also bought the Ronnie Bad Boy DVD from ebay

Smart, whats that dvd all about. i wouldn't mind that


It is about Ronnie O'Sullivan. Shows him talking about snooker and some footage. Also shows him driving around in a BMW.... its not a bad DVD. Also shows some classic 147s and some classic 147 misses I think from mammory. :wave:

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:I also bought the Ronnie Bad Boy DVD from ebay

Smart, whats that dvd all about. i wouldn't mind that


It is about Ronnie O'Sullivan. Shows him talking about snooker and some footage. Also shows him driving around in a BMW.... its not a bad DVD. Also shows some classic 147s and some classic 147 misses I think from mammory. :wave:

i would really like that :wave:

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:witz, when i see your avatar saying stranrar all i keep thinking of is pheonix nights


rofl rofl rofl rofl

thats about our biggest claim to fame :sad:

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Alex0paul

Get in contact with Roger Lee as he has a huge list of matches on dvd. I have a few myself including every world final since 2002 except the bore that was 08. My list is as follows;

2001 World Semi Ronnie O'Sullivan v Joe Swail
2002 World Semi Ronnie O'Sullivan v Stephen Hendry
2002 World Semi Peter Ebdon v Matthew Stevens
2002 World Final Peter Ebdon v Stephen Hendry
2003 World Semi Paul Hunter v Ken Doherty
2003 World Final Mark J Williams v Ken Doherty Frames 25-34
2004 Welsh Open Final Steve Davis v Ronnie O'Sullivan
2004 World Semi Graeme Dott v Matthew Stevens
2004 World Semi Stephen Hendry v Ronnie O'Sullivan Frames 16-21
2004 World Final Graeme Dott v Ronnie O'Sullivan
2004 UK Championship Semi Joe Perry v David Gray
2005 World 2nd Rnd Michael Holt v Steve Davis Frames 11-16
2005 World Final Matthew Stevens v Shaun Murphy
2006 World Quarter Peter Ebdon v Shaun Murphy
2006 World Semi Graeme Dott v Ronnie O'Sullivan
2006 World Final Graeme Dott v Peter Ebdon
2006 UK Championship Semi John Higgins v Peter Ebdon
2006 UK Championship Semi Graeme Dott v Stephen Hendry
2007 Welsh Open Final Neil Robertson v Andrew Higginson
2007 World Final John Higgins v Mark Selby
2007 Grand Prix Semi Marco Fu v Gerard Greene
2007 Grand Prix Semi Ronnie O'Sullivan v Shaun Murphy
2008 Welsh Open Semi Ronnie O'Sullivan v Shaun Murphy
2008 Welsh Open Semi Mark Selby v Stephen Hendry
2008 Welsh Open Final Mark Selby v Ronnie O'Sullivan
2009 World Final John Higgins v Shaun Murphy

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Smart

Alex0paul wrote:Get in contact with Roger Lee as he has a huge list of matches on dvd. I have a few myself including every world final since 2002 except the bore that was 08. My list is as follows;

2001 World Semi Ronnie O'Sullivan v Joe Swail
2002 World Semi Ronnie O'Sullivan v Stephen Hendry
2002 World Semi Peter Ebdon v Matthew Stevens
2002 World Final Peter Ebdon v Stephen Hendry
2003 World Semi Paul Hunter v Ken Doherty
2003 World Final Mark J Williams v Ken Doherty Frames 25-34
2004 Welsh Open Final Steve Davis v Ronnie O'Sullivan
2004 World Semi Graeme Dott v Matthew Stevens
2004 World Semi Stephen Hendry v Ronnie O'Sullivan Frames 16-21
2004 World Final Graeme Dott v Ronnie O'Sullivan
2004 UK Championship Semi Joe Perry v David Gray
2005 World 2nd Rnd Michael Holt v Steve Davis Frames 11-16
2005 World Final Matthew Stevens v Shaun Murphy
2006 World Quarter Peter Ebdon v Shaun Murphy
2006 World Semi Graeme Dott v Ronnie O'Sullivan
2006 World Final Graeme Dott v Peter Ebdon
2006 UK Championship Semi John Higgins v Peter Ebdon
2006 UK Championship Semi Graeme Dott v Stephen Hendry
2007 Welsh Open Final Neil Robertson v Andrew Higginson
2007 World Final John Higgins v Mark Selby
2007 Grand Prix Semi Marco Fu v Gerard Greene
2007 Grand Prix Semi Ronnie O'Sullivan v Shaun Murphy
2008 Welsh Open Semi Ronnie O'Sullivan v Shaun Murphy
2008 Welsh Open Semi Mark Selby v Stephen Hendry
2008 Welsh Open Final Mark Selby v Ronnie O'Sullivan
2009 World Final John Higgins v Shaun Murphy


are these in good quality...... picture and audio <ok>

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Alex0paul

StalinESQ wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Get in contact with Roger Lee as he has a huge list of matches on dvd. I have a few myself including every world final since 2002 except the bore that was 08. My list is as follows;

2001 World Semi Ronnie O'Sullivan v Joe Swail
2002 World Semi Ronnie O'Sullivan v Stephen Hendry
2002 World Semi Peter Ebdon v Matthew Stevens
2002 World Final Peter Ebdon v Stephen Hendry
2003 World Semi Paul Hunter v Ken Doherty
2003 World Final Mark J Williams v Ken Doherty Frames 25-34
2004 Welsh Open Final Steve Davis v Ronnie O'Sullivan
2004 World Semi Graeme Dott v Matthew Stevens
2004 World Semi Stephen Hendry v Ronnie O'Sullivan Frames 16-21
2004 World Final Graeme Dott v Ronnie O'Sullivan
2004 UK Championship Semi Joe Perry v David Gray
2005 World 2nd Rnd Michael Holt v Steve Davis Frames 11-16
2005 World Final Matthew Stevens v Shaun Murphy
2006 World Quarter Peter Ebdon v Shaun Murphy
2006 World Semi Graeme Dott v Ronnie O'Sullivan
2006 World Final Graeme Dott v Peter Ebdon
2006 UK Championship Semi John Higgins v Peter Ebdon
2006 UK Championship Semi Graeme Dott v Stephen Hendry
2007 Welsh Open Final Neil Robertson v Andrew Higginson
2007 World Final John Higgins v Mark Selby
2007 Grand Prix Semi Marco Fu v Gerard Greene
2007 Grand Prix Semi Ronnie O'Sullivan v Shaun Murphy
2008 Welsh Open Semi Ronnie O'Sullivan v Shaun Murphy
2008 Welsh Open Semi Mark Selby v Stephen Hendry
2008 Welsh Open Final Mark Selby v Ronnie O'Sullivan
2009 World Final John Higgins v Shaun Murphy


are these in good quality...... picture and audio <ok>


Yes they are

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Smart

rocket_ron wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:Do you support Ronnie O'Sullivan :wave:

of course


Okay, thanks for clearing that up R-ron.

Its a good DVD, perhaps there is one on ebay, not sure if I could rip a copy of it to my laptop and then burn a copy to you........ waddaya fink, is this possible with DVDs as well as CDs..... :huh:

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:Do you support Ronnie O'Sullivan :wave:

of course


Okay, thanks for clearing that up R-ron.

Its a good DVD, perhaps there is one on ebay, not sure if I could rip a copy of it to my laptop and then burn a copy to you........ waddaya fink, is this possible with DVDs as well as CDs..... :huh:

:wave: :wave: :wave:

what was there to clear up??
yes dvd decrypter and dvd srink then you will be able to burn a copy

Re: Classic snooker DVDs

Postby Witz78

i just bought a loada Alex Higgins DVDs off some guy called Graham - email him at snookermag@aol.com to find out more details, he has a big collection of old snooker matches.

I got the following from him

82 semi v White
83 UK V Davis
85 Doubles championship (with White)
89 v Hendry
95 Mosconi Cup (with White)

All that for £29 -what a bargain