Post a reply

Cue for someone with 42 top break

Postby Jack50

I am currently using a Burwat Champion Riley cue. It was my dad's. Now I'm using it. The question is do I need a new cue or should I keep going with this? I went through a great spell where I kept getting higher breaks. 20s, 30s then 42. However, since then I'm struggling to get breaks over 20, so maybe need a new cue? The issue I have ordering one is you can't get the feel and weight of it before playing? It's like a stab in the dark. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Re: Cue for someone with 42 top break

Postby Prop

Jack50 wrote:I am currently using a Burwat Champion Riley cue. It was my dad's. Now I'm using it. The question is do I need a new cue or should I keep going with this? I went through a great spell where I kept getting higher breaks. 20s, 30s then 42. However, since then I'm struggling to get breaks over 20, so maybe need a new cue? The issue I have ordering one is you can't get the feel and weight of it before playing? It's like a stab in the dark. Any suggestions? Thanks.

No.

Keep the cue. If you went through a period of improvement like that clearly the cue wasn’t holding you back.

Find out what changed around the time you started struggling. New playing partner? Different table? Different club? Weight gain/loss? Distractions at the table? Off the table - any shitty life stuff going on? Any physical injuries?

How long have you been playing, and how long ago was the improvement and subsequent loss of form?

When was the last time you changed the tip?

A more expensive cue does not turn a 40 break player into a better player overnight. It’s not the cue.

Postby Jack50

Prop wrote:
Jack50 wrote:I am currently using a Burwat Champion Riley cue. It was my dad's. Now I'm using it. The question is do I need a new cue or should I keep going with this? I went through a great spell where I kept getting higher breaks. 20s, 30s then 42. However, since then I'm struggling to get breaks over 20, so maybe need a new cue? The issue I have ordering one is you can't get the feel and weight of it before playing? It's like a stab in the dark. Any suggestions? Thanks.

No.

Keep the cue. If you went through a period of improvement like that clearly the cue wasn’t holding you back.

Find out what changed around the time you started struggling. New playing partner? Different table? Different club? Weight gain/loss? Distractions at the table? Off the table - any shitty life stuff going on? Any physical injuries?

How long have you been playing, and how long ago was the improvement and subsequent loss of form?

A more expensive cue does not turn a 40 break player into a better player overnight. It’s not the cue.

I'm definitely keeping it. Just wondered about getting a new one too. I did start playing with worse players which put me off my game a bit. I have lost some weight too and have an ankle issue currently. I've been playing on and off for nearly 20 years. I did make a big break when I was younger but couldn't remember the exact score so I refreshed my max break to zero about 6 months ago mentally to give myself a clean slate and made a 42 since then a few months ago. I change the tip occasionally, I had an issue for a while with the tips coming off but shaping the tip properly and avoiding super deep screws has stopped that happening. I was thinking along the same lines as the bottom line but someone suggested that I would improve with a better cue. I was a bit suspect about that hence posting here first for advice. Thanks for the input.

Postby Prop

Jack50 wrote:
Prop wrote:

No.

I'm definitely keeping it. Just wondered about getting a new one too. I did start playing with worse players which put me off my game a bit. I have lost some weight too and have an ankle issue currently. I've been playing on and off for nearly 20 years. I did make a big break when I was younger but couldn't remember the exact score so I refreshed my max break to zero about 6 months ago mentally to give myself a clean slate and made a 42 since then a few months ago. I change the tip occasionally, I had an issue for a while with the tips coming off but shaping the tip properly and avoiding super deep screws has stopped that happening. I was thinking along the same lines as the bottom line but someone suggested that I would improve with a better cue. I was a bit suspect about that hence posting here first for advice. Thanks for the input.

No probs :-) I mean, if cost isn’t much of an issue to you I suppose you could always try a new cue and keep the Riley. There’s a chance just the psychology of using a different cue might boost your game (rather than it improving your game simply because it’s ‘better’) but in my experience that’s rarely the case.

Your form sounds a lot like mine. I played some good stuff in my 20s - so a good 10+ years ago - and I’m just not quite as good any more. But importantly I’ve recognised why, and that’s mainly down to me now playing every couple of weeks rather than a few times a week. I think if I put the same time in I’d probably get back close to that level and be knocking in semi-regular 50s again.

Losing (or gaining) weight can make a massive difference to your game. You will have developed your stance and cue action at a certain ‘shape’ and if that shape changes it can pull your alignment way out, without you realising. So there’s a chance you’re cueing ok but not actually seeing the angle properly even before you strike the white. And an ankle injury could certainly affect your stance, even if you’re not now feeling any pain and the injury has healed.

Re the tip, you want to be confident in it, and not subconsciously be holding back on certain shots. That sounds like something that could be really detrimental. If you don’t already, practice at retipping your cue, using proper methods and tools, so that you don’t have to think twice about deep screws and whether the tip will stay on the cue!

Best of luck, and if you want any pointers on retipping give me a shout <ok>

Postby Prop

And just to add, try to play better players. Playing numpties is guaranteed to ruin your game after a while <laugh>

Postby Prop

Running side wrote:Agree with everything prop says in his indepth analysis, only thing I would ask how often do you change your pants.

pmsl

Postby Dan-cat

Prop wrote:
Jack50 wrote:
Prop wrote:

No.

No probs :-) I mean, if cost isn’t much of an issue to you I suppose you could always try a new cue and keep the Riley. There’s a chance just the psychology of using a different cue might boost your game (rather than it improving your game simply because it’s ‘better’) but in my experience that’s rarely the case.

Your form sounds a lot like mine. I played some good stuff in my 20s - so a good 10+ years ago - and I’m just not quite as good any more. But importantly I’ve recognised why, and that’s mainly down to me now playing every couple of weeks rather than a few times a week. I think if I put the same time in I’d probably get back close to that level and be knocking in semi-regular 50s again.

Losing (or gaining) weight can make a massive difference to your game. You will have developed your stance and cue action at a certain ‘shape’ and if that shape changes it can pull your alignment way out, without you realising. So there’s a chance you’re cueing ok but not actually seeing the angle properly even before you strike the white. And an ankle injury could certainly affect your stance, even if you’re not now feeling any pain and the injury has healed.

Re the tip, you want to be confident in it, and not subconsciously be holding back on certain shots. That sounds like something that could be really detrimental. If you don’t already, practice at retipping your cue, using proper methods and tools, so that you don’t have to think twice about deep screws and whether the tip will stay on the cue!

Best of luck, and if you want any pointers on retipping give me a shout <ok>

Great post Prop :hatoff:

Same here - when I was 20 I played at least an hour a day. That's why I was better.

Postby Jack50

I looked on Parriscues.com . Wasn't really sure what I was looking for though compared to what I have, so stopped browsing.

Postby Running side

Parris cues are top of the range in quality and price, many pros use them Ronnie included. Had opportunity to play a frame with one which cost £1,500 ,I honestly felt no improvement to my game, the guy who bought the cue improved his best break and overall game and thinks there the dogs ,if money no issue get the best.

Postby Jack50

I need to think about whether Parriscues.com or Riley cues are a better option.

Postby Jack50

Hi. I found a better cue. Thanks for all the input. We can lock the thread now.

Postby chengdufan

Dan-cat wrote:
chengdufan wrote:Like this one, for example

And this.

Don't be silly, Dan. How is your post possibly going to help anyone?

Deary me

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:
Prop wrote:Let us know how you get on, Jack. And what’s the new cue?

Shusssh! I sold him that bent Paragon for 400 notes

<laugh>

Postby Jack50

Since you posted so well this one's for you. I think it would be too mean to ignore you. My number one cue is now a Mark Selby BCE cue from Ebay that cost £39.95 (serious). BCE Mark Selby Simulated Graphite Metallic BLACK Snooker & Pool Cue if you want to look it up on Ebay.

Postby Jack50

Dan-cat wrote:And how's your game going?

Better. I'm starting to play more as of today.

Postby Running side

Jack50 wrote:

Since you posted so well this one's for you. I think it would be too mean to ignore you. My number one cue is now a Mark Selby BCE cue from Ebay that cost £39.95 (serious). BCE Mark Selby Simulated Graphite Metallic BLACK Snooker & Pool Cue if you want to look it up on Ebay.

Lost all respect :sad:

Postby Jack50

Running side wrote:
Jack50 wrote:

Lost all respect :sad:

That's up to you. He's the men's world champion. If you can't respect that it's not my problem.

Postby Prop

Jack50 wrote:

Cool :-) To be honest it doesn’t really matter what make the cue is, what it cost etc. As I said earlier in the thread it’s often just the case of finding something you’re most comfortable with. And we’re all different, so it’s difficult to apply rules of what constitutes a good cue.

Main thing is you’re more confident with it and playing better <ok>

Postby Jack50

Prop wrote:
Jack50 wrote:

Cool :-) To be honest it doesn’t really matter what make the cue is, what it cost etc. As I said earlier in the thread it’s often just the case of finding something you’re most comfortable with. And we’re all different, so it’s difficult to apply rules of what constitutes a good cue.

Main thing is you’re more confident with it and playing better <ok>

Yes. :fence: