Post a reply

Re: Ladbrokes World Grand Prix Quarter Finals !!!

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:This table is an utter disgrace, pockets like buckets with balls dropping in off the near jaw all the time, and best of seven quarter-finals in a ranking event! I hate Barry Hearn. >-(

I hear he speaks quite highly of you though. :wave:

Postby PoolBoy

I like Un-Nooh, also! But I'm pleased for Ding. A good win and he showed some mettle to recover and win the match.
These could be vital points for Ding in his quest to qualify automatically for The Crucible!

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:This table is an utter disgrace, pockets like buckets with balls dropping in off the near jaw all the time, and best of seven quarter-finals in a ranking event! I hate Barry Hearn. >-(

He doesn't, never met the smarmy, money-grabbing old man...which is a good job. It's just loads of best of seven's these days and in the UK! What the hell is the point of this tournament anyway, how does it grow the game worldwide? If I had the job of running snooker it would all be different, people would say, "Andy, you've transformed the game, it's brilliant, well done".

Postby PoolBoy

masterdoctorgenius wrote:dings win loss ratio in ranking final matches is abnormal.

That's actually a good point. For a player who's 'bottle' is sometimes questioned - Ding's 11 ranking wins have come from just 14 finals! Impressive!!

Postby Andy Spark

Snookerbacker agrees with me about best of 7's too. I wouldn't mind them if we had proper long matches in the majors, but Hearn's shortened the UK's to best of 11's. He does this and then wonders why the sponsors complain that the famous players are getting knocked out in the early stages or in the qualifiers, so he can't negotiate good deals and snooker gets screwed...and that's Hearn's fault.

Postby Wildey

what do you mean this table? its been the same for donkeys the hardest table ive seen this season was in Germany.

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:He doesn't, never met the smarmy, money-grabbing old man...which is a good job. It's just loads of best of seven's these days and in the UK! What the hell is the point of this tournament anyway, how does it grow the game worldwide? If I had the job of running snooker it would all be different, people would say, "Andy, you've transformed the game, it's brilliant, well done".

Your vision of the game would probably be every other player is suspended, and each tournament would be seven days of Ronnie playing trick shots. rofl

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

He doesn't, never met the smarmy, money-grabbing old man...which is a good job. It's just loads of best of seven's these days and in the UK! What the hell is the point of this tournament anyway, how does it grow the game worldwide? If I had the job of running snooker it would all be different, people would say, "Andy, you've transformed the game, it's brilliant, well done".

Do it then go on run the game.

im not being funny here but before hearn snooker was in a mess we had 4 British events and 2 china events and the bucking players was running snooker in to the ground.

if running the sport was a doddle not many people came forward to do it did they.

by the way Barry has gone too far with best of 7s they are everywhere now and the UK Championship is in a mess but for a sausage like you to say you hate Barry Hearn on what grounds when hes at least given snooker a future.

and another thing for Globalization Top players has got to put in the hours and travel to these places not give them a miss it was more important that players went to Australia rather than Shanghai.

Postby SnookerFan

How are people finding the addition of Phil Yates to ITV coverage?

I've never minded him as much as most people, but just seen him as a general Eurosport and crappy Sky Sports tournament bod. My main complaint with him has been his voice isn't that pleasant for a commentator. rofl

I've been mostly watching 7pm matches this week, and he's been commentating with Neal Foulds for the most part. I can imagine if I watched him all the time, he'd start to grate. I know some people hates that he bangs on about stats, but that doesn't bother me. It shows he knows more about the sport than the BBC mob. But his rubbishy puns don't come across well. Last night he was on about the colour of Selby's waistcoat for a couple of minutes. I went for a slash, came back, and he was still on about it, rofl

Postby Cheshire Cat

Indeedly so, this table seems about normal. Not sure about the other PTCs, but the Gdynia one was one of the closest to buckets that i've seen this season. That bottom left black pocket was gobbling balls up off the far jaw.

Postby Gridlock

eraserhead wrote:Great match and great performance from Ding. :D

Wasn't able to watch the rest of the match. ..good for Ding but wish Teppy could have pulled it out#

Postby TheRocket

Ding seems to back in decent form at least. And more importantly. At the right time as well. All the spotlight will be on the likes of ROS, Robertson and Trump while Ding has the privilege of not being the favourite. This is his chance.

He has to take it now.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:Ding seems to back in decent form at least. And more importantly. At the right time as well. All the spotlight will be on the likes of ROS, Robertson and Trump while Ding has the privilege of not being the favourite. This is his chance.

He has to take it now.

Has Ding got the moves like Jagger?

Postby Cheshire Cat

SnookerFan wrote:How are people finding the addition of Phil Yates to ITV coverage?

I've never minded him as much as most people, but just seen him as a general Eurosport and crappy Sky Sports tournament bod. My main complaint with him has been his voice isn't that pleasant for a commentator. rofl

I've been mostly watching 7pm matches this week, and he's been commentating with Neal Foulds for the most part. I can imagine if I watched him all the time, he'd start to grate. I know some people hates that he bangs on about stats, but that doesn't bother me. It shows he knows more about the sport than the BBC mob. But his rubbishy puns don't come across well. Last night he was on about the colour of Selby's waistcoat for a couple of minutes. I went for a slash, came back, and he was still on about it, rofl

I like to bash him, but in fairness he's not /that/ bad. It's exactly as you say though -- the more you hear him, the more he can start to annoy. McManus, Foulds and Everton more than make up for him though. The only Beeb commentators I like are Kendo, Hendry and Davis, all the others are big no-nos:

Virgo: just doesn't hush up about balk-cushion and cue ball
Taylor: he's not actually a bad commentator, but he talks so much about golf and things other than the match
Parrott: bearable except when commentating on ROS

Postby hendry_fan

just got back from gettin my mop cut,feels great to look decent again. :-)

What a shame Teppy did,nt pull it off,losin 4-3,so close but yet so far. :-(

Carter still hangin in there,COME ON ALI!.

Postby Vallomas

SnookerFan wrote:HE'S A GENTLEMAN!

HE'S JOE PERRY! :D

:happy:

Well done Joe, a second consecutive ranking semi is not an easy thing.

But, I hope that this time he will go through the final.

Postby Wildey

boris_the_butcher wrote:I'm not happy with this QF/SF line-up. Whom do I make a formal complaint to?

thats sport for you