Post a reply

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot-out

Postby Cloud Strife

This is a load of marmite, it has to be said. Watching this rubbish makes me appreciate real snooker even more.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cloud Strife wrote:This is a load of marmite, it has to be said. Watching this rubbish makes me appreciate real snooker even more.

My thoughts exactly.

Postby Andy Spark

Why are the refs telling the crowd not to shout out offensive comments, surely that's the point of the format! "Oy, Whitey, oo ate all da pies, oo ate all da pies, fat bastard." "Whooooh, da da dah da" :drunk:

Postby PLtheRef

Table after Day 2
37 ERASERHEAD [2 players remaining]
30 KOLOMPAR [2 players remaining]
28 KINGKAUTO [3 players remaining]
27 WILDEY [4 players remaining]
27 PLTHEREF [3 players remaining]
26 SMART [5 players remaining]
25 THECLEAVER [3 players remaining]
25 CLOUDSTRIFE [2 players remaining]
22 SUNDAYGIRL [no players remaining]

Postby PLtheRef

Andy Spark wrote:Why are the refs telling the crowd not to shout out offensive comments, surely that's the point of the format! "Oy, Whitey, oo ate all da pies, oo ate all da pies, fat bastard." "Whooooh, da da dah da" :drunk:

Banter is alright - Abuse however is not.

Postby PLtheRef

I think what has been more telling is that this year there seems to have been more complaints from the players this year. And as someone mentioned earlier, it seems something was mentioned after the first match as the crowd seemed to calm down a bit.

The Hexagon seems to be considerably smaller than the Tower Circus - could it be that its a good venue but too small for an event which seeks audience participation.

For all of the arguably gimmicky events that have been tried, it seems to have been only the shootout which has lasted any length of time. Makes you wonder whether six years is too long for a gimmick to be running?

Postby Andy Spark

Personally I hate the shoot-out. I think it's absolute crap. :drunk:

Postby Andy Spark

PLtheRef wrote:For all of the arguably gimmicky events that have been tried, it seems to have been only the shootout which has lasted any length of time. Makes you wonder whether six years is too long for a gimmick to be running?

If this event is really destined to be the most successful "gimmick" invented (given all the great snooker based ideas over the years) then the only conclusion is snooker is in trouble. Of course, if they tightened up the pockets then I would take that all back.

Postby Gridlock

Cloud Strife wrote:This is a load of marmite, it has to be said. Watching this rubbish makes me appreciate real snooker even more.

Yeah, I'm still the newbie, but I agree with you about wanting real snooker. It reminds me too much of US pool tourneys.

Postby Gridlock

SnookerFan wrote:Who missed me?

Question is Who didn't.

Postby SnookerFan

Remember when this started, they used to do that thing where they went; "Mark Williams, you are eliminated."

Postby PoolBoy

The winner of the Shoot-out pockets an astonishing £32,000 !!! For winning 6 frames - and literally less than an hours snooker!
Next Sunday the runner-up of the Ranking event, will have won 6 matches to reach the final and will walk away with £30k...yes, that's less than the winner of tonight's boor-fest!

Postby Cheshire Cat

I don't mind having the Shoot-Out; it's the only event of its kind in the season (I hope it stays that way) and the 'lottery' format warms you up quite well for the dross that is the Welsh Open's best of 7s. :irk:

Just kidding. On topic, I would like Mark Williams, Ali Carter or Zhou Yuelong to win this. The only real muppet left in the draw is Lisowski, so, anyone but him suits me just fine.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:Ronnie is going spastic on his Twitter. He keeps moaning on about some guy he hates.

Apparently he's talking about a con man who's cheated a lot of people..

Postby Smart

Cheshire Cat wrote:
Prop wrote:Evening all. Watched a bit of this painfully last night. And this morning read a bit on twitter about some unsavory noises from the crowd.

I haven't read this thread (and I'm sure it's been covered) but what's gone off? Did someone actually call Dale a nonce? And what did they shout at Higgins?

Seems like a good way to make the sport less popular this rubbish.

I watched just about all of the action this afternoon. The first match between Higgins and Higginson was where all the controversy was, comms was doing damage control to try and apologise for the abuse that could be heard thrown at Higgins and the ref (Brendan Moore) was cautioning quite a few people. Higgins even called a guy in the audience out in the post-match interview.

Pretty sure people were thrown out during advert breaks and words were said to the crowd, because it got dramatically less noisy/rowdy for the rest of the afternoon.

cant find anything on YOUTUBE :grrr:

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Ronnie is going spastic on his Twitter. He keeps moaning on about some guy he hates.

Apparently he's talking about a con man who's cheated a lot of people..

Didn't this guy used to be on The Bill?

Postby PLtheRef

Andy Spark wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:For all of the arguably gimmicky events that have been tried, it seems to have been only the shootout which has lasted any length of time. Makes you wonder whether six years is too long for a gimmick to be running?

If this event is really destined to be the most successful "gimmick" invented (given all the great snooker based ideas over the years) then the only conclusion is snooker is in trouble. Of course, if they tightened up the pockets then I would take that all back.

When you consider how many events there are, I think snooker is in rude health. Considerably ruder than it has been for a quite a while.

I didn't say it was the most successful gimmick I suggested that it seems to be the longest lasting gimmick which to be frank it is. - Power Snooker lasted two years - that was supposed to be apparently a really big thing. The Shootout has outlasted it but there does seem to be a greater degree of players and fans who are tiring of it. Like I said last night, The Hexagon seems to be too small for an event where participation is encouraged. A large venue is what's needed.

Snooker has had differing formats, with some good degrees of success - Team Competitions, Doubles events, a Premier League. - All of them however worked and were relatively popular without the need for any gimmicks or different rules.