Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Final : Barry Hawkins v Ronnie O'Sulliv

Postby Pink Ball

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
eraserhead wrote:I think Trump plays a great match then gets ahead of himself, if he could beat Bingham and Hawkins he could be worlds and masters champ.

It's ifs and buts, but he's had great chances to win two big titles slip.

He's miles off being a choker, naivety is his problem. If he could play as well against the mediocre players as he does against the belters, he'd be the best player in the world right now. If he had made the final, I'm convinced he could have beaten Ronnie.

Like in most snooker matches: winners aren't determined by who pulls off the flashiest super shots but the one who pots all the easy balls.

Actually, that was one lesson Trump had to learn, and he did. Now, he needs to learn to play like he can against EVERYONE.

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:Most has been said already about this great record equalling 6th Masters title for Ronnie! :-D

I think, as silly and pointless CL is, it gave Ronnie some needed match sharpness ahead of this event. He played absolutely brilliantly in winning Group 1, and as I said gave him confidence to win this one.

He was very shaky, especially beggining, against MJW, but that's totaly understandable being your first match and all. The break he made in the decider was pure class, especially that shot to dislodge the final red.

Then by far his best performance of the tournament came against Mark Selby, a player who has caused him so many heartbreaking defeats in the past. I think Ronnie watching his matches at the UK Champs "helped" him ahead of this one, he knows Mark plays like this against every other opponent, not just him. Ronnie has the upmost respect for him. Sure Selby missed a few early on and his postional play wasn't great, but Ronnie's amazing long potting won him this match really. And at 5-3 down, after that 70 break from Selby, it looked all the world it was going to be 5-4, and we all know Selby gets stronger and stronger and I started fearing the worst like in the past. But Ronnie produced one of his finest ever clearances, that magic 73 break, even Selby couldn't believe what was happening.

Against Bingham at times we saw a fragile O'Sullivan, his head sureçy wasn't right at times out there, maybe, who knows, probably he expected so much to play Higgins in that Semi. Bingham should have been 3-1 up at MSI, he wasn't, and similar to Hawkins in the Final, after winning their respective 1st frames, they for some reason or another never settled down. Ronnie, like the great champ he is, took full advantage of that. That frame he won after needing a snooker was one of his very best to win, especially that stunning shot on the black and long red to keep break alive. In the last frame, one could clearly see Ronnie's frustration, but yet again his long potting won him the match, with one of the best long pots I've seen Ronnnie knock in, it was like I was watching Robbo or Trump play that type of shot.

In the final, Hawkins didnt take advantage of Ronnie's shaky start, but still Ronnie managed to take advantage and after being 3-1 up he just got stronger. Sure, Barry could have made things so much more interesting by making it closer affair, but the damage was already done.

Ronnie played his B game most of the tournament, but that's what he's capble of and still win tournament, Higgins too can win tournaments playing his B game. Ronnie's long potting was as good as I've ever seen from him.

He managed to beat MJW in a decider, WN1 Selby and World Champion Bingham, as well as Hawkins who had just knocked out Judd Trump earlier. As Pink Ball so rightly said, it's about players like Ronnie managing to beat inferior players like hawkins who aren't on same level as say Robbo or Selby on a consistent basis.

Ronnie truly deserves this, especially after almost 8 months off with little competitive matches under his belt.

A 40 year old is still capable of winning Major tournaments like this playing very well in patches, it's up to the top players to up their game if they want to deny him. In the end, out of 16 players, Ronnie is the last man standing, so hats off to him.

Very happy with this win, hopefully more moments like this to come. If not, then he has nothing left to prove in the game.

Ronnie :hatoff: :bowdown: :hatoff:

Good post Andre. O'Sullivan seems to have one very good match and one average match in alternation. The problem he has if he has a bad session at The Crucible when he is playing a class player he will probably lose. It has happened many times before. I thought he was over it tis time 2 years ago, but despite having Dr Steve Peters in his corner the old gremlins returned.

He is favourite for The Worlds, but that isn't always a good place for him to be.

He also doesn't care about The UK Championships. He has missed it several times, and at other times he has deliberately lost.

Postby TheRocket

GJ wrote:Well done Ronnie :hatoff:

Still think if neil plays like he did v trump he can beat ronnie if they meet at sheffield

Neil is still the current best player in my eyes. Ronnie has won this tournament now but he struggled a little bit at times, so there's still room for improvement in his case.

Neil is looking like the most consistent player atm and he wants to win the WC really badly this season. I still see him as the topfavourite to win the WC with Ronnie and Judd being a close second.

Postby Andre147

I don't exactly agree with that Vodka, I think Robbo is favourite for Worlds, no matter what bookies say.

Ronnie will probably be 2nd or 3rd favourite in my view. If Robbo continues playing like he has done, yet again it will take a very very inspired performance from his opponent to beat him.

I would absolutely love a Final between them there, if not, at least a Best of 33 Semi.

Postby Cue Guru

Pink Ball wrote:
Cue Guru wrote:C'mon Ronnie, give em a tickle.

He tickled his bunny Selby in a world final on your advice but got bitten and died.

Well he is a god, so coming back from the dead and defeating the robot 6-3 was well within his powers. But he likes his pets and they do very nicely off him.
Last edited by Cue Guru on 17 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:I don't exactly agree with that Vodka, I think Robbo is favourite for Worlds, no matter what bookies say.

Ronnie will probably be 2nd or 3rd favourite in my view. If Robbo continues playing like he has done, yet again it will take a very very inspired performance from his opponent to beat him.

I would absolutely love a Final between them there, if not, at least a Best of 33 Semi.

Close call I agree. Maybe they could play earlier than that?

Postby Cheshire Cat

Ronnie's interview with Rob Walker is pleasant watching for Ronnie fans. He calls Hendry the greatest player to ever play the game, and then reflects on the fact that he's level with him on Masters titles, on UK titles.. and then smirks when he says 'still got 2 world titles to get on level terms.'

I think he fancies it lads. Nice to see him so chuffed and positive. :-)
Last edited by Cheshire Cat on 17 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cheshire Cat wrote:Ronnie's interview with Rob Walker is pleasant watching for Ronnie fans. He calls Hendry the greatest player to ever play the game, and then reflects on the fact that he's level with him on Masters titles, on UK titles.. and then smirks when he says 'still got 2 world titles to get on level terms.'

I think he fancies it lads. Nice to see him so chuffed and positive. :-)

<ok>

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:
Andre147 wrote:I don't exactly agree with that Vodka, I think Robbo is favourite for Worlds, no matter what bookies say.

Close call I agree. Maybe they could play earlier than that?

I don't know how the draw will work out.

In 2012 they had a cracking Quarter-Final, for many THE final in itself.

But of course so many things can happen until Worlds, but Robbo will probably go as favourite, Ronnie and Judd a close 2nd probably.

Postby Cue Guru

Holden Chinaski wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

Mark Williams MBE ‏@markwil147:

I would pay money to go and watch ronnie play. #amazingtowatch #makesitlooktooeasy

Fair play to MJW saying that, a legend of the class of 92 paying respect.

Judd has a fault in his cueing, he's cueing across the ball in the address position, then twists the cue to correct this fault. He needs to sort it because it goes wrong under pressure. Bingo had a similar problem, got a coach to help, got Sight Right built into his cue and bam, he's world champion. Lots of hard work along the way, but he sorted it. If Judd wants consistency, he will have to face up to the fault he's had for a long time, even since that milk crate.

Postby Pink Ball

Cue Guru wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

He tickled his bunny Selby in a world final on your advice but got bitten and died.

Well he is a god, so coming back from the dead and defeating the robot 6-3 was well within his powers. But he likes his pets and they do very nicely off him.

What kind of God would be born into a family running a chain of sex shops?

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
Cue Guru wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Sounds like the sort of God Id like to worship.

Postby Cue Guru

Pink Ball wrote:
Cue Guru wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

The sort of god who don't give a buck what the lemons think!

Postby Pink Ball

Cue Guru wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Cue Guru wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

The sort of god who don't give a buck what the lemons think!

Jack Lemmon?