Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Final : Barry Hawkins v Ronnie O'Sulliv

Postby Pink Ball

For those who think beating the likes of Hawkins and Carter has nothing to do with greatness, you miss the point. It has everything to do with greatness.

Ken Doherty had a trait of beating great players, and then slipping up against Shitty McIntyre. Selby had a lot of that for years. It's a trait I'm noticing with Judd Trump as well. It ain't choking - in Trumps case he's won important finals against Selby, Robertson (x2), Sullivan and Allen. But if he was better at keeping his focus, that tally would be double what it is, and he'd be the reigning world champion. He's young, so I trust him to right that.

Ronnie very rarely slips up against inferior opposition. Neither did Hendry. Neither did Davis. That's why they're the three greatest players of all time.
Last edited by Pink Ball on 17 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cheshire Cat

I'm from Northern Ireland myself, and Alex is pretty much a cult legend here. Our snooker club in the Queen's Belfast University Student Union is named the 'Higgins Room' after Alex and decorated as such. Won't be forgotten here anytime soon. :hatoff:

Postby Pink Ball

Cheshire Cat wrote:I'm from Northern Ireland myself, and Alex is pretty much a cult legend here. Our snooker club in the Queen's Belfast University Student Union is named the 'Higgins Room' after Alex and decorated as such. Won't be forgotten here anytime soon. :hatoff:

Is Paddy McWilliams still involved with the pool and snooker above there? He was always very biased towards Queens, the scoundrel!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cheshire Cat wrote:I'm from Northern Ireland myself, and Alex is pretty much a cult legend here. Our snooker club in the Queen's Belfast University Student Union is named the 'Higgins Room' after Alex and decorated as such. Won't be forgotten here anytime soon. :hatoff:

<ok>

I live in Belgium and there's a snooker club here where Alex once played an exhibition. It's holy ground for me.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:For those who think beating the likes of Hawkins and Carter has nothing to do with greatness, you miss the point. It has everything to do with greatness.

Ken Doherty had a trait of beating great players, and then slipping up against Shitty McIntyre. Selby had a lot of that for years. It's a trait I'm noticing with Judd Trump as well. It ain't choking - in Trumps case he's won important finals against Selby, Robertson (x2), Sullivan and Allen. But if he was better at keeping his focus, that tally would be double what it is, and he'd be the reigning world champion. He's young, so I trust him to right that.

Ronnie very rarely slips up against inferior opposition. Neither did Hendry. Neither did Davis. That's why they're the three greatest players of all time.

Couldn't have said it better myself mate! :spot on:

Postby Cheshire Cat

Pink Ball wrote:

Is Paddy McWilliams still involved with the pool and snooker above there? He was always very biased towards Queens, the scoundrel!

Aye, he's still involved in a bit of tournament organising I believe. He's good banter, that's for sure. <ok>

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:
Jester82 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Jester82 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:What Ronnie brings to snooker is fans, TV viewers, audiences, sponsors, press, money, entertainment, and a genius level of snooker.

...and fellows and disciples who create a sort of Ronnie cult with worshipping prayers.

And bitter haters who act like 12 year olds. Like yourself.

Where there is a religion or cult there is an atheist I am afraid. And as I explained I am not bitter when I refute Ronnieism.

Nope, you ain't bitter, but like many atheists you fall into the trap of believing you are better rather than equal to those of faith, as well as being just as intolerant as the religions you oppose in the grounds of their intolerance.

I am a Vegan Atheist. Vegan because I don't believe in inferior beings, and Atheist because I don't believe in superior beings.

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Jester82 wrote:
Where there is a religion or cult there is an atheist I am afraid. And as I explained I am not bitter when I refute Ronnieism.

Nope, you ain't bitter, but like many atheists you fall into the trap of believing you are better rather than equal to those of faith, as well as being just as intolerant as the religions you oppose in the grounds of their intolerance.

I am a Vegan Atheist. Vegan because I don't believe in inferior beings, and Atheist because I don't believe in superior beings.

I really do enjoy your posts, Vodkadiet.

Postby eraserhead

I think Trump plays a great match then gets ahead of himself, if he could beat Bingham and Hawkins he could be worlds and masters champ.

It's ifs and buts, but he's had great chances to win two big titles slip.

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:For those who think beating the likes of Hawkins and Carter has nothing to do with greatness, you miss the point. It has everything to do with greatness.

Couldn't have said it better myself mate! :spot on:

I know, nobody could. That's why I took matters into my own hands.

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Jester82 wrote:

Not in your class though Pink Ball.

Postby Pink Ball

eraserhead wrote:I think Trump plays a great match then gets ahead of himself, if he could beat Bingham and Hawkins he could be worlds and masters champ.

He's miles off being a choker, naivety is his problem. If he could play as well against the mediocre players as he does against the belters, he'd be the best player in the world right now. If he had made the final, I'm convinced he could have beaten Ronnie.

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Jester82 wrote:

Not in your class though Pink Ball.

I wish that was true!

Postby Pink Ball

GJ wrote:Well done Ronnie :hatoff:

Still think if neil plays like he did v trump he can beat ronnie if they meet at sheffield

Indeed he could. I don't think Ronnie will win the World Title this year, as much as I am in awe of his ability. Then again I think only Selby, Trump and Robertson could beat him over multiple sessions.

Postby eraserhead

Pink Ball wrote:
eraserhead wrote:I think Trump plays a great match then gets ahead of himself, if he could beat Bingham and Hawkins he could be worlds and masters champ.

He's miles off being a choker, naivety is his problem. If he could play as well against the mediocre players as he does against the belters, he'd be the best player in the world right now. If he had made the final, I'm convinced he could have beaten Ronnie.

That's what i mean, he plays a bit to over confident against certain players and costs him in the long run.

One of the things that has always frustrated me about his game.

Postby Pink Ball

eraserhead wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

That's what i mean, he plays a bit to over confident against certain players and costs him in the long run.

He's matured a lot as a snooker player over these last few years. His play was far too open going back as far as maybe 2012 or so. Knowing how to beat those banana skins is tougher than it's made out to be, but it's the missing piece of the Trump jigsaw.

Postby eraserhead

Pink Ball wrote:
eraserhead wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

He's matured a lot as a snooker player over these last few years. His play was far too open going back as far as maybe 2012 or so. Knowing how to beat those banana skins is tougher than it's made out to be, but it's the missing piece of the Trump jigsaw.

He is definitely a great player, He just always seems to get caught out in the big events.

He's lost the two biggest events playing really great stuff and I just
hope it doesn't cost him in the long run.

Postby Andre147

Most has been said already about this great record equalling 6th Masters title for Ronnie! :-D

I think, as silly and pointless CL is, it gave Ronnie some needed match sharpness ahead of this event. He played absolutely brilliantly in winning Group 1, and as I said gave him confidence to win this one.

He was very shaky, especially beggining, against MJW, but that's totaly understandable being your first match and all. The break he made in the decider was pure class, especially that shot to dislodge the final red.

Then by far his best performance of the tournament came against Mark Selby, a player who has caused him so many heartbreaking defeats in the past. I think Ronnie watching his matches at the UK Champs "helped" him ahead of this one, he knows Mark plays like this against every other opponent, not just him. Ronnie has the upmost respect for him. Sure Selby missed a few early on and his postional play wasn't great, but Ronnie's amazing long potting won him this match really. And at 5-3 down, after that 70 break from Selby, it looked all the world it was going to be 5-4, and we all know Selby gets stronger and stronger and I started fearing the worst like in the past. But Ronnie produced one of his finest ever clearances, that magic 73 break, even Selby couldn't believe what was happening.

Against Bingham at times we saw a fragile O'Sullivan, his head sureçy wasn't right at times out there, maybe, who knows, probably he expected so much to play Higgins in that Semi. Bingham should have been 3-1 up at MSI, he wasn't, and similar to Hawkins in the Final, after winning their respective 1st frames, they for some reason or another never settled down. Ronnie, like the great champ he is, took full advantage of that. That frame he won after needing a snooker was one of his very best to win, especially that stunning shot on the black and long red to keep break alive. In the last frame, one could clearly see Ronnie's frustration, but yet again his long potting won him the match, with one of the best long pots I've seen Ronnnie knock in, it was like I was watching Robbo or Trump play that type of shot.

In the final, Hawkins didnt take advantage of Ronnie's shaky start, but still Ronnie managed to take advantage and after being 3-1 up he just got stronger. Sure, Barry could have made things so much more interesting by making it closer affair, but the damage was already done.

Ronnie played his B game most of the tournament, but that's what he's capble of and still win tournament, Higgins too can win tournaments playing his B game. Ronnie's long potting was as good as I've ever seen from him.

He managed to beat MJW in a decider, WN1 Selby and World Champion Bingham, as well as Hawkins who had just knocked out Judd Trump earlier. As Pink Ball so rightly said, it's about players like Ronnie managing to beat inferior players like hawkins who aren't on same level as say Robbo or Selby on a consistent basis.

Ronnie truly deserves this, especially after almost 8 months off with little competitive matches under his belt.

A 40 year old is still capable of winning Major tournaments like this playing very well in patches, it's up to the top players to up their game if they want to deny him. In the end, out of 16 players, Ronnie is the last man standing, so hats off to him.

Very happy with this win, hopefully more moments like this to come. If not, then he has nothing left to prove in the game.

Ronnie :hatoff: :bowdown: :hatoff:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Pink Ball wrote:

Like in most snooker matches: winners aren't determined by who pulls off the flashiest super shots but the one who pots all the easy balls.