Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters S Final : Ronnie O'Sullivan v Stuart Bin

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:I can understand Ronnie's frustration with his alignment on the shot an all that...

He was there for the taking today no doubt, but there were moments of sheer brilliance from him too. The frame he won needing a snooker was one of the very best I've seen him win, and that stunning long red :bowdown: I thought for a moment it was Trump or Robbo playing that <laugh>

I think Ronnie will be fine tomorrow, and in a wy it's better he had a match like this.

SO mentioned that great example of 2007 Masters when Ronnie struggled against Mags in his Semi and only won 6-4. We all know how brilliant Ronnie was after that in that 07 Final.

Hopefully the same here.

Ronnie blew Bingham away in the World Grand Prix semi finals 6-0 last year and was flat in the final. It's hard to play in the semis and the final to a high standard.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:You have to question the standard of players these days when O'Sullivan and Higgins are still dominating.

Make no mistake the standard in the late 90s was 2 or 3 levels above today's.

It was, but early to mid 90s was worse than this.

Indeed.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:DAY SEVEN TABLE (14/15)

67 ANDRE147 10 - 3
65 CLARA8633 9 - 4
64 SMART 10 - 2
63 CLOUD STRIFE 9 - 3
60 ERASERHEAD 8 - 2
60 SUNDAYGIRL 7 - 3
56 JMAL1 9 - 2
56 WILDEY 8 - 3
56 SNOOKERFAN 8 - 2
53 BORIS_THE_BUTCHER 8 - 2
52 THECLEAVER 9 - 1
51 KOLOMPAR 8 - 2
50 PLTHEREF 8 - 2
49 HOLDEN CHINASKI 7 - 2
43 PASUNEGIRAFE 6 - 3
41 SKULLMAN 7 - 1
37 VODKADIET 6 - 1
34 KING.KAUTO 6 - 1

I got both Semis absolutely Spot on :spot on: 6-4 Hawkins and 6-3 Ronnie.

But all that matters is the Final prediction now.

Postby vodkadiet

Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:You have to question the standard of players these days when O'Sullivan and Higgins are still dominating.

It was, but early to mid 90s was worse than this.

Different conditions. Close call, but you're probably right.

Postby RJFindlay

Cheshire Cat wrote:Ronnie wants this so badly and if you think he doesn't care you need to step back. He said he doesn't mean that he 'doesn't care', but that he can't find the words to express himself.

He just seems so nervous. Every time Stuart missed, even when there was no pot on, that crowd made it sound like they expected Ronnie to pot something out of nowhere and clear up. I feel for him tbh, the weight of expectation on his shoulders must be immense at times.

Good post, maybe even I expect too much of ronnie sometimes.

Postby vodkadiet

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Funny, you make it sound like in the early 00s with Ronnie winning so much the standard went down :john:

No. the standard was very good then as well.

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Funny, you make it sound like in the early 00s with Ronnie winning so much the standard went down :john:

The standard in the early 00s was amazing. Just amazing.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

vodkadiet wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

We could argue that the greatest ever snooker era was brought to end with Murphy winning the World Title.

Postby TheRocket

RJFindlay wrote:The standard is higher now than its ever been. Maybe it's because of players like the hawk and bull run progressing far we deem standard have dropped.

In terms of depth the standard is probably higher but the Top 8 of the early very late 90's, early 00's was the best.

Postby Holden Chinaski

TheRocket wrote:
RJFindlay wrote:The standard is higher now than its ever been. Maybe it's because of players like the hawk and bull run progressing far we deem standard have dropped.

In terms of depth the standard is probably higher but the Top 8 of the early very late 90's, early 00's was the best.

:goodpost:

Postby Holden Chinaski

snooker_loopy wrote:It's good to know that if Ronnie loses tomorrow he's got a good excuse:

"My bad back is making me line up the shots wrongly."

:chuckle:

It's not an excuse. Ronnie never uses excuses. He's his own worst critic.

Selby used the excuse of wearing an uncomftorble tie.. :chuckle:

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:I think players like Ding, Judd, Robbo and Selby have matched those performances, just not as often.

I agree. The semi final between Robertson and Selby in the Worlds was probably as good as any match.
Just in terms of consistency they are not up there as you say.

Postby Skullman

TheRocket wrote:
Skullman wrote:I think players like Ding, Judd, Robbo and Selby have matched those performances, just not as often.

I agree. The semi final between Robertson and Selby in the Worlds was probably as good as any match.
Just in terms of consistency they are not up there as you say.

I'd keep an eye on Robbo. He just keeps getting better and keeps wanting to improve, and it took a ridiculous performance from Judd to stop him.

If he needs something like that every time...

Postby Skullman

Holden Chinaski wrote:
snooker_loopy wrote:It's good to know that if Ronnie loses tomorrow he's got a good excuse:

Him complaining about not caring because of his back seems like an excuse to me...

Postby Holden Chinaski

Talking about standards.. There was a time when Ronnie, Hendry, John Higgins, Mark Williams, Paul Hunter, Ken Doherty, Peter Ebdon, and even still Steve Davis and others were all playing fantastic and pushing eachother to the limit...
The standard was just out of this world sometimes.. I'd say from the late ninetees until around 2004-2005 was just the best time ever standard wise...

There are great snooker matches being played now, but not as often as in those days in my opinion..

Postby Holden Chinaski

Skullman wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Him complaining about not caring because of his back seems like an excuse to me...

Than you don't know Ronnie. He's not one for using excuses. you can say a lot of things about him, but not that.

Postby Muppet147

Wildey wrote:
GJ wrote:WILDEY

Funny how you agree with Ronnie when his BS makes 90's era look good

:lol:

Tonight Ronnie played to his peak when he had to thats what its all about nobody can play to their best all the time.

he talks utter crap at times.

Ronnie would probably say the same about you ...if he was unfortunate enough to ever meet you.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Than you don't know Ronnie. He's not one for using excuses. you can say a lot of things about him, but not that.

And by the way, Ronnie won the match! So why would he be making excuses? He won FFS. He's just saying his back is affecting his stance a bit. That's it.