Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters S Final : Barry Hawkins v Judd Trump

Postby snucar

Skullman wrote:Not like him having to face Hawkins in the final would revoke his legend status.

Considering he beat Carter twice, Hawkins and Dott in World finals and is still considered a legend, it's a BS argument.

Thanks for completely missing my point. Ronnie's legend status is safe and sound, of course. But beating players like Trump put a lot more weight to that status, than beating Hawkins. The greater your opponent is, the greater the win. Capish, now?
Last edited by snucar on 16 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Skullman

Anyway, I have to say from a personal perspective neither match really excites me, but the players I wanted to win didn't, so I'll have to suck it up.

Suppose I'll go with Judd winning. About time he won another major and need less 35-40 somethings for the long term good of the game I suppose.

Postby Andre147

snucar wrote:Every sane snooker fan should be looking at one and only final, even hardcore Ronnie fanboys who want it easy. It's beating the Trumps that make you a legend, not the Hawkins'.

Considering the amount of easy draws Hendry got in his career, that is indeed a BS argument as Skull pointed out. <ok>

Postby Skullman

snucar wrote:
Skullman wrote:Not like him having to face Hawkins in the final would revoke his legend status.

Considering he beat Carter twice, Hawkins and Dott in World finals and is still considered a legend, it's a BS argument.

Thanks for completely missing my point. Ronnie's legend status is safe and sound, of course. But beating players like Trump put a lot more wight to that status, than beating Hawkins. The greater your opponent is, the greater the win. Capish, now?

Considering what Ronnie's won already, one win over Trump vs one win over Hawkins is negligible.

If anything the reverse is necessary. Trump needs a win over Ronnie rather than Bingham to be more of a legend contender in the future.

Postby Andre147

eraserhead wrote:I think Judd's in danger of getting caught out here like he did i the world's.

Godd point, but I dont think Judd will make the same mistake twice and take his opponent lightly like he did against Bingham.

The Wenbo loss really seems to have gotten in his head and he knows he to knuckle down if he's to win big titles like this.

Postby eraserhead

Andre147 wrote:
eraserhead wrote:I think Judd's in danger of getting caught out here like he did i the world's.

Godd point, but I dont think Judd will make the same mistake twice and take his opponent lightly like he did against Bingham.

The Wenbo loss really seems to have gotten in his head and he knows he to knuckle down if he's to win big titles like this.

He also usually has one really bad session per tournament, hopefully crucible Barry turns up.

Postby kolompar

snucar wrote:

Thanks for completely missing my point. Ronnie's legend status is safe and sound, of course. But beating players like Trump put a lot more weight to that status, than beating Hawkins. The greater your opponent is, the greater the win. Capish, now?

You are right. Ronnie fanboys are ridiculous. Is Ronnie the greatest ever or does he need to play Hawkinses to win? (Seeing his Crucible record, I would say he does need the Hawkinses <laugh> )
But I would like Trump to win, it's time he's won something now, in fact, he should complete the Triple Crown this year :D

Postby Andre147

kolompar wrote:
snucar wrote:

You are right. Ronnie fanboys are ridiculous. Is Ronnie the greatest ever or does he need to play Hawkinses to win? (Seeing his Crucible record, I would say he does need the Hawkinses <laugh> )
But I would like Trump to win, it's time he's won something now, in fact, he should complete the Triple Crown this year :D

pmsl

Seeing his Crucible record, I'd say Hendry needed to play the White's and the Bond's to win. <ok>

Postby Holden Chinaski

Some people think they know more about snooker than people like Ray Reardon, Stephen hendry, Steve Davis, John Parrot and Jimmy White. Why don't you ask those guys what they think about Ronnie. They will all say he's the greatest. If he plays Hawkins or Trump doesn't matter. How many times did Hendry play White for example? Ronnie became pro in the same year as Johnn Higgins and still managed to win 5 triple crowns... He's forty years old and just beat the world number one in The Masters. Nuff said.

Now talk about the match please, and stop obsessing over Ronnie.

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:Some people think they know more about snooker than people like Ray Reardon, Stephen hendry, Steve Davis, John Parrot and Jimmy White. Why don't you ask those guys what they think about Ronnie. They will all say he's the greatest. If he plays Hawkins or Trump doesn't matter. How many times did Hendry play White for example? Ronnie became pro in the same year as Johnn Higgins and still managed to win 5 triple crowns... He's forty years old and just beat the world number one in The Masters. Nuff said.

Now talk about the match please, and stop obsessing over Ronnie.

Well said :spot on:

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:But it would make it tastier a Ronnie v Judd Final but only with a Ronnie win. <ok>

Ronnie played Trump in his last 3 finals, so I would definitely prefer Hawkins. Trump v Ronnie will be a 10-7, 10-8, 10-9 match either way. Certainly not comfortable as a Ronnie fan.

Yes I agree.

If it's Trump then so be it.

But firstly I wont take Bingham lightly.

Postby Holden Chinaski

snucar wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Hendry needed to play the White's and the Bond's to win.

Putting a great player like White at the same level with Bond is beyond me.

White was a fantastic player but he obviously had a mental barrier when playing Hendry. Would Hendry have won all those titles playing against John Higgins, ROS, MJW, Selby, Robbo... for example.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive Hendry fan. He's a legend.

Postby Andre147

What a fantastic start by Barry :-D

Holden is absolutely right, when on his A game, he can beat anyone.

Robbo played his A game at Worlds and found himself losing against him 13-12.

Hopefully Barry can keep it going. <ok>

Postby Cheshire Cat

Sometimes it's hard to forget how well Barry played against Ronnie in that 2013 final just because Ronnie himself was also playing well. I remember Barry going 3-2 at one point and making it the first time Ronnie had fallen behind in the whole tournament, then 7-7 in the second session and in both cases Ronnie had to respond with centuries, back-to-back at times, just to get back in front. On his day, Barry is top class and he's showing it.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Snooker Overdrive wrote:What I like about Hawkins is his calmness. He looks like he's having a practice session.

I like Hawkins. Great player and seems like a nice guy. Only problem is his B game can be very bad. But when in form he's a great break builder.