Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Q Final : Mark Selby v Ronnie O'Sullivan

Postby Andre147

pasunegirafe wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Nerves?

Mug analysis from Parrott. Why would a three time Masters champion show nerves all of a sudden?

:shrug: because he's human?
Even the best players can get nervous.

Course they can.

I think Selby never settled from the off, plus his amateur break off shots early on allowed Ronnie in with great long pots.

I think Ronnie's superb long potting is what won him this match, and he started that clearance with his best one of the match. If his long potting was off, I'm sure Selby would have won it.

Postby TheRocket

Fully agree with Andre. And we've just seen what an advantage it is to have a good long-potting, especially against the likes of Selby.

I think, it's fair too say Selby is the player on the tour who gives you the fewest easy chances. I mean , even today. He wasn't playing great but about 90% of Ronnies openers were long ones. So no one can tell me that Ronnie had it easy today. He basicially won all of his frames after potting a cracking long red in.

Postby SnookerFan

pasunegirafe wrote:

Mug analysis from Parrott. Why would a three time Masters champion show nerves all of a sudden?

My bad.

Did Ronnie get nervous of playing Selby in The Crucible final? Is that why he missed that pink?

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
pasunegirafe wrote:

My bad.

Did Ronnie get nervous of playing Selby in The Crucible final? Is that why he missed that pink?

Did he miss a pink? :shock:

pmsl

Postby eraserhead

SnookerFan wrote:
eraserhead wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:who were the chines people at the end. one kissed ronnie on the cheek

What? Missed that.

Dennis Taylor has just confirmed it. It was Liang Wenbo.

Or MJW. Not the best source.

Postby Prop

15 pages?! Expected.

Ronnie's long potting made all the difference. It's not something I've seen him do consistently for a long, long time.

If he can keep his eye in on the long ones he'll go a fair distance this week. But it's the one aspect of a player's game that can be bullseye accurate one day, and just off the next day. This will be crucial.

Any of the top 8 can beat him if his long game isn't right.

Really looking forward to seeing how the rest of the quarters pan out now.

I enjoyed that game. In fact I've enjoyed the lot so far. Great tournament.

Postby Andre147

This what Ronnie had to say post-match:

“I wasn’t feeling technically great out there but I still had to go for my shots and try to make things happen,” said O’Sullivan. “I wanted to keep attacking and keep my opponent on the back foot. My long game was really good and I stayed patient.

“Mark is the only player who can win tournaments when he’s not at his best because tactically he is unbelievable and he’s the hardest match player on the circuit. I watched all of his matches during the UK Championship and I realised how difficult he is to play for every opponent – he’s like granite. I realised he doesn’t only play like that against me. I admire his tenacity and his will to win, I’ve got massive respect for him. We’ve had a bit of grudge and needle over the years and I have probably taken it personally, but not any more because I know he’s a great player.”

http://www.worldsnooker.com/osullivan-s ... nto-semis/

Ronnie has the upmost respect for him and his great game. :hatoff:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I've just recapped the whole match.

Incredible performance all things considered from Ronnie! He played full of confidence, no idea where that came from considering the last time he played Selby he lost the World Final and just scrapped through against MJW. His long potting was out of this world. And just like in 2014 he had that killer instinct to pounce on the first chance to win the match. He knew that Selby would get stronger with every frame he gets closer. Ronnie had to play so many superb recovery shots in the last frame. Never hesitated, just went for his shots. Beautiful.

In this sort of form he'll win the title on Sunday. But maybe most importantly Ronnie send a message to the snooker world today! At his best he's still the player to beat. And all that having turned 40 last year.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:SO I absolutely loved when the cameraman zoomed in on Selby's face in that clearance... it reminded me of the 2010 Final when they zoomed in on Ronnie's face after Selby doubled the red.

Cameraman :spot on:

Sorry for the late reply, I'm just going through these pages after finishing the match.

I was thinking the same thing! I bet Selby couldn't believe some of shots Ronnie pulled off and winning on an easy final black was the icing on the cake.

By the way Ronnie's record against Selby at the Masters is quite good now, isn't it?

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie said he didn't like playing in a tie today.

I actually see his point. Why wear formal clothes at all? Surely comfortable clothes would help them play?

And does it make any difference what they wear? Surely there aren't many people watching who care what they wear?