Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Round 1 : Neil Robertson v Marco Fu

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Started well, now am falling.

Well, you were 4 points behind the leader at the start of play today and that is still the case now. Still all to play for.

I thought he meant the beer!

rofl

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:I bet if Ronnie had turned up with a cold or Flu, or whatever Marco had, he'd be hailed as a god. <laugh>

"Dying legend defies odds!"

Yes, it's sickening. Pun intended.

(I do enjoy watching Ronnie zoned in though).

Postby OneFourSeven

Just got back from this one, I'm sure it's been said earlier on in the thread but Marco must have been ill, he looked totally fed up throughout. Does anyone know the record for minimum number of points scored in a best of 11 match? Because this has got to be a contender!

Postby PLtheRef

OneFourSeven wrote:Just got back from this one, I'm sure it's been said earlier on in the thread but Marco must have been ill, he looked totally fed up throughout. Does anyone know the record for minimum number of points scored in a best of 11 match? Because this has got to be a contender!

Don't know what the shortage is on record, it could be considerably few as looking at Chris Turner's archived site (up to date to October 2011) - the fewest points in a best of 9 is eight.

All I can say is that tonights match is definitely not the fewest as when Ronnie O'Sullivan defeated Ricky Walden in the 2014 Masters quarter-finals Ricky scored only 39 points in the contest - when Ronnie racked up 556 without reply to win 6-0. Marco got a rather plentiful 79

Postby OneFourSeven

Just read on the World Snooker website that Marco has confirmed he was ill with a virus and apologised to everyone who brought tickets, hope he feels better soon, can't be good to have to go out and play in front of all those people when you know you're not right.

Postby PLtheRef

OneFourSeven wrote:Just read on the World Snooker website that Marco has confirmed he was ill with a virus and apologised to everyone who brought tickets, hope he feels better soon, can't be good to have to go out and play in front of all those people when you know you're not right.

Due kudos for him for making a point of apologizing as well.

Postby Andre147

Fu had this to say post-match:

“I feel sorry for the fans who bought tickets for tonight because I’m sure they were looking forward to it, and that’s what they got. I feel sorry for Neil too because it must have put him off. It’s very disappointing for me. Last night I was sick a few times, and the way I was feeling I was thinking of pulling out, but it’s the Masters and that’s the last thing you want to do. Even if I had only one arm I’d keep playing.

“It was impossible to play and I didn’t believe that I could win. I take nothing away from Neil because he played well and I might have lost anyway, but perhaps 6-4 rather than 6-0.”

http://www.worldsnooker.com/robertson-crushes-sick-fu/

Credit to him for apologising and especially for not pulling out of the event, it would have been totally understandable if he had done that.

Postby vodkadiet

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:3 in 1988, White v Mountjoy L16, Davis v Griffiths QF and Davis v Hallett F.

Good work. Thanks.

Can't see that being equalled this year. Maybe Higgins has a slim chance against Bingham if both play their standard of their opening matches.

These were best of 9s so no comparison should be made.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:Fu had this to say post-match:

“I feel sorry for the fans who bought tickets for tonight because I’m sure they were looking forward to it, and that’s what they got. I feel sorry for Neil too because it must have put him off. It’s very disappointing for me. Last night I was sick a few times, and the way I was feeling I was thinking of pulling out, but it’s the Masters and that’s the last thing you want to do. Even if I had only one arm I’d keep playing.

“It was impossible to play and I didn’t believe that I could win. I take nothing away from Neil because he played well and I might have lost anyway, but perhaps 6-4 rather than 6-0.”

Credit to him for apologising and especially for not pulling out of the event, it would have been totally understandable if he had done that.

Very unprofessional.

If he was as bad as he says he was then he should have pulled out and let someone else have a go. For him to turn up and serve up that garbage, it was unfair on the sponsors, tv audiences and the rest of field. Even worse for the crowd and officials in attendance who may have been infected with whatever illness Fu has.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:How would someone elase have a go? He only had it since 2 days ago I think, and if he had pulled out Robbo would have received a walkover into the next round.

It's an invitational, of course they could have got someone else in if they really wanted to. How hard could it possibly have been? :shrug:

It's this kind of mentality that's held snooker back for so long. The inability and refusal to adapt when a problem arises. I mean according to you two days is far too short a time to organize a replacement player for a withdrawal. How much time would have been adequate, a week? A month? <doh>

When Fu says something like, "It was impossible for me to play and I didn't believe I could win", it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

Postby Andre147

Yes you make good points there CS, but I'm afraid this is WS policy, and I'm pretty sure if Fu had indeed pulled off, Robbo would just receive a bye.

The ideal solution would have been for the player ranked 17th to replace him.

Postby PLtheRef

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Fu had this to say post-match:

Very unprofessional.

If he was as bad as he says he was then he should have pulled out and let someone else have a go. For him to turn up and serve up that garbage, it was unfair on the sponsors, tv audiences and the rest of field. Even worse for the crowd and officials in attendance who may have been infected with whatever illness Fu has.

How would that work? What if Marco had taken I'll just a couple of hours before the game instead of a couple of days before? How could you let someone else have a go? Can you get a player rush to London at short notice. What do you do if Mike White isnt free. How far do you go in recruiting an extra. Do you take a 17th, 33rd, 65th player to a tournament as a standby? Who gets the place?

What if this was a quarterfinal? Do you reinstate an eliminated player. In a ranker like the Crucible where 16 go out in the same round who gets reinstated?

The precedent has always been a walkover. Changing it midseason would set a dangerous precedent.

Postby SnookerFan

PLtheRef wrote:
OneFourSeven wrote:Just read on the World Snooker website that Marco has confirmed he was ill with a virus and apologised to everyone who brought tickets, hope he feels better soon, can't be good to have to go out and play in front of all those people when you know you're not right.

It was a nice thought by Fu, but don't really think he has anything to apologise for.

He could've pulled out unwell, he at least turned up so the ticket buyers had something to watch.

I guess it's disappointing, especially if it was your first match watchung live. But I give Fu respect to Fu for thinking of fans. :hatoff:

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:

It was a nice thought by Fu, but don't really think he has anything to apologise for.

He could've pulled out unwell, he at least turned up so the ticket buyers had something to watch.

I guess it's disappointing, especially if it was your first match watchung live. But I give Fu respect to Fu for thinking of fans. :hatoff:

More likely he was thinking of the fat paycheque he would miss out on if he withdrew. :gag: