Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Round 1 : Neil Robertson v Marco Fu

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Don't think snooker really has the same four majors model as tennis and golf. Worlds is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of prestige and format (and money), and there's no real consensus on whether the IC (or any other event) counts.

Yes it's not like tennis and golf really, but you can't deny those 4 tournaments are the most important on the calendar nowadays.

Postby Skullman

Ronnie79 wrote:I know Skullman but there used to be 4 major its a shame the BBC dropped that or rebranded it as that world open crap and then dropped it

Was the Grand Prix really all that prestigious or did the BBC just say it was because they like to think their tournaments are the only ones that really count?

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:I know Skullman but there used to be 4 major its a shame the BBC dropped that or rebranded it as that world open crap and then dropped it

Was the Grand Prix really all that prestigious or did the BBC just say it was because they like to think their tournaments are the only ones that really count?

It used to carry more ranking points than the regular rankers, maybe that's why.

But I know where you're getting at, every tournament the Beeb doesn't broadcast is like it doesn't exist.

Postby Skullman

Also, one thing to consider, don't know anything about golf, but tennis has a pretty stable calendar, while snooker's still in a transition period. Really it's better to wait until we have some stability in the calendar and which events stick around and which ones don't, before deciding what's bigger than bigger than what.

Might have a new event bigger than the CoC and IC pop in two years time for all we know.

Anyway, I should probably go cook dinner before I end up missing the start of the match.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I said this already a while back but I think it's worth repeating. We often hear discussions about majors and the triple crown with many people not really understanding the concept behind it. Like Skullman wrote in the comment above, the snooker calender is volatile and has changed a lot in the last 5, 10, 25 and 50 years. The triple crown is like an compass in all that mess. Since 1977, with Patsy Fagan winning the first ever UK title, the World Championship, the Masters and the UK have been a rock in every season since. It offers guidance and makes different eras comparable. They always have been the most important tournaments of a season and every player wants to win them. It's the most objective way of evaluating how a player is ranked in the hall of fame. And that's why there won't be a fourth tournament to join this club, as it would undermine its key purpose. The term "major" is more vague and can be interpreted differently but to me it has always been a synonym to the term "triple crown".

Postby Andre147

Yes very good post SO, I'll have to agree with you.

When comparing players careers the Triple Crown events are always the first that spring to mind.

My point all along was just that the IC, UK, Masters and Worlds are by far the 4 most important tournaments nowadays.

of course like Skull says, the IC could soon be scrapped and replaced by an even more important tournament in terms of prize money ranking, etc..

Postby snucar

The IC or CoC being considered as majors these days? lol Who says these amusing fairy tales?

Anyway, a lot of hate for Robbo in here. Being the best player in the world can create that kind of bitterness, it's understandable. And Fu is definitely the toughest draw he could get without a shadow of a doubt...good match tonight!

Postby Andre147

I think this one has all the makings of being very close, possibly a decider.

I hope Fu beats him, but I feel he needs a good start to the match to stand a decent chance.

Postby snucar

Ronnie79 wrote:Is Robertson the best player in the world ? thats debatable

Not debatable at all. 2 big tournaments so far, won both, quite comfortably too. At the moment the lad sits at the top of the food chain, far from the second too. He looks focused, prepared and on a mission. Unlike the others, who all live by the day's momentum...

Postby Andre147

snucar wrote:

Not debatable at all. 2 big tournaments so far, won both, quite comfortably too. At the moment the lad sits at the top of the food chain, far from the second too. He looks focused, prepared and on a mission. Unlike the others, who all live by the day's momentum...

Ronnie was also on a mission a year ago.

Same as Robbo, Ronnie had won CoC and UK. Did he win Masters? No, Robbo stopped him doing so. It's almost impossible to win big tournaments like this in sucession. I feel Fu or likely Trump will stop him.

Postby Skullman

If Robbo did win here, he might be the best player in the world. TBH there hasn't really been a best player in the world for a while (which I will define as from April 2014, almost two years ago now) as all the leading candidates have had long stretches of time out of form.

Postby snucar

Andre147 wrote:
snucar wrote:

Ronnie was also on a mission a year ago.

Same as Robbo, Ronnie had won CoC and UK. Did he win Masters? No, Robbo stopped him doing so. It's almost impossible to win big tournaments like this in sucession. I feel Fu or likely Trump will stop him.

I never said he has his name written on the trophy already.

Postby Gridlock

Hello all! Just now able to watch some snooker since Monday, will catch up on Ronnie's and Selbys respective matches on youtube, meantime, go Fu!