Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Round 1 : Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark Willi

Postby SnookerFan

If Ronnie does get paid extra appearance money, it shouldn't come from World Snooker, it should come from any sponsors Ronnie has. World Snooker sends out the wrong message if they pay somebody to turn up, just because he's popular with the fans. It's favouritism from the governing body, and is just wrong.

I don't think it should happen in tennis or golf, either. I just think it's a bad idea. (Just when I thought I couldn't dislike tennis any more than I already did.)

It's a competitive sport where you get paid based on what you win. Not for turning up. What if he turns up, plays badly and loses? Should Barry Hearn write him a fat cheque for popularity, but make other players earn it?

It's a ridiculous concept and Mark Williams is talking out of his bottom for suggesting it.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 12 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2016/1/12/pay-osullivan-whatever-he-wants

It's not the first time MJW has said this... they pay appearance money in Tennis or Golf for instance for the real top players.

Whilst this could seem very unfair on the players, etc... the fact is MJW is absolutely right, no player in the game generates the amount of buzz when Ronnie is around, and that can only be great for the game.

Paying someone for turning up is wrong in any sport just because Tennis and Golf does it that doesn't make it right.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Paying someone for turning up is wrong in any sport just because Tennis and Golf does it that doesn't make it right.

Agreed.

There seems to be this idea that snooker should copy everything that tennis does, and I never really understood why.