Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Round 1 : Shaun Murphy v Mark Allen

Postby PLtheRef

Credit to Allen there. During the walk on he seemingly didn't really look up for it this afternoon and I thought Murphy would win quite comfortably. Admittedly the sixth was a turning point but I couldn't and still cannot understand why Murphy wouldn't look to hit the red full ball particularly on the third miss.

Postby Andre147

PLtheRef wrote:Credit to Allen there. During the walk on he seemingly didn't really look up for it this afternoon and I thought Murphy would win quite comfortably. Admittedly the sixth was a turning point but I couldn't and still cannot understand why Murphy wouldn't look to hit the red full ball particularly on the third miss.

Me neither, no player in that situation can use the excuse that the table rolled off.

He should just have hit a red full on the face, if he leaves Allen bang in, so be it.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Pink Ball wrote:I'm sorry, The Masters just does nothing for me, zilch. Overhyped, overglamourised bull rubbish.

It's the second best snooker tournament. Always has been. You and Smart should get your heads checked.

Postby Pink Ball

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I'm sorry, The Masters just does nothing for me, zilch. Overhyped, overglamourised bull rubbish.

It's the second best snooker tournament. Always has been. You and Smart should get your heads checked.

It's not. It was always third at best, World and old UK were miles ahead of it. Personally, even the ranking tournament mean more to me. If it had best-of-17's or something I'd sit up and take notice, but the Masters is always just like a small ranking event... minus the ranking points.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Pink Ball wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

It's not. It was always third at best, World and old UK were miles ahead of it. Personally, even the ranking tournament mean more to me. If it had best-of-17's or something I'd sit up and take notice, but the Masters is always just like a small ranking event... minus the ranking points.

You don't have a clue.

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:

We're sorry if we gave you the impression that watching it was compulsory. :wave:

It's snooker, I'll watch it. It's just that I get annoyed that people act like it's far more important than it is.

Postby SnookerFan

My embarrassing confession.

When Murphy forfeited the frame, I initially thought it was a re-rack.

I sat there for a few seconds wondering why the hell Allen would agree to a re-rack when he had his opponent in a snooker, before I clocked what had actually happened.

Postby SnookerFan

Actually, to be fair to Pink, I can see where he is coming from.

I like The Masters, but I always considered the UK more important because it was a ranker and had longer framed matches. Now they've shortened the UKs, I don't consider it as prestigious as it used to be.

Still like The Masters though. The one-table set-up from the start gives it something good, in my opinion.

Postby Pink Ball

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

You don't have a clue.

Well if you're going to be that intolerant of alternative, explained opinions...

Postby SnookerFan

In the Ally Pally, they had the BBC on screen before the match started. So after spending an hour on the train to watch it live, I still have to listen to the prats from the BBC.

I mean, we got ten minutes of drivel where they reminded us 25 times that Ronnie was playing on Tuesday before bothering to mention the match they were about to televise. :roll:

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:Actually, to be fair to Pink, I can see where he is coming from.

I like The Masters, but I always considered the UK more important because it was a ranker and had longer framed matches. Now they've shortened the UKs, I don't consider it as prestigious as it used to be.

Still like The Masters though. The one-table set-up from the start gives it something good, in my opinion.

Good comment, that's how I see it, and the bit in bold is something that I will admit that I do like about the masters.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
Good comment, that's how I see it, and the bit in bold is something that I will admit that I do like about the masters.

Think of all the animals you ever heard about
Like rhinoceroses and tigers, cats and mink
There are lots of funny animals in all this world
But have you ever seen a panther that is pink?
Think!
A panther that is positively pink!

Well here he is, the Pink Panther
The Pink Panther
Ev'rybody loves a panther that's pink
He really is a groovy cat
And he's a gentleman, a scholar, he's a acrobat

He's in the pink, the Pink Panther
The rinky-dink panther
And it's as plain as your nose
That he's the one and only, truly original
Panther pink from head to toe
That he's the one and only, truly original
Panther Pink Panther from head to toe!

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

You don't have a clue.

Of course they haven't. <ok> Just ask O'Sullivan and Hendry, arguably the two greatest players of all time, and between a regular ranker and The Masters, you'll see what their asnwer is regarding which tournament they value the most. <ok>

The Masters is for the absolute elite, and both of them have more Masters titles than everyone else, because both treat it as a very very serious event.

Ronnie even has the record for most finals with 10. :hatoff:

Postby pasunegirafe

Pink Ball wrote:My daughter just made me a card because she loves me. It's rubbish, but I might keep it.

Aaww, that's cute! You should keep it. If you're having a bad day or she's being difficult, you can look at it to remind yourself that she loves you.

/turn off Oprah-mode

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

You don't have a clue.

Of course they haven't. <ok> Just ask O'Sullivan and Hendry, arguably the two greatest players of all time, and between a regular ranker and The Masters, you'll see what their asnwer is regarding which tournament they value the most. <ok>

I would have no doubt that Hendry would say the World Championship, and Ronnie would too if he were being honest.

Postby Smart

Andre147 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

You don't have a clue.

The Masters is for the absolute elite, and both of them have more Masters titles than everyone else, because both treat it as a very very serious event.

Ronnie even has the record for most finals with 10. :hatoff:

you talk more rubbish than Tyson Fury :wave:

Postby PLtheRef

Pink Ball wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

How many ranking tournaments see the top 16 all make the last 16?

The Masters has always had a high profile but since the UK went to best of 11 and particularly since the semifinals went to 11 its profile has increased for me.

Personally I think that the semifinals here should be best of 17 with the tournament starting on the Saturday.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Pink Ball and Smart, Stephen Hendry has said The Masters was always his second favourite tournament to win, after the world championship. Ronnie has said this as well.

The Masters is a prestigious event and it's about history and honor, not ranking points. You guys just don't get that.

Just look at the list of players who've won The Masters since the beginning. It's the elite. It always has a great atmosphere. So many great matches have been played at The Masters because the players want to win it so bad.

I'm going to stop arguing about this now. Let's agree to disagree and just enjoy the snooker.