Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Pre Tournament Discussion !!!!

Postby hendry_fan

Dan-cat wrote:Good point HF. Ok, how about SnookerfanHendry_FanFan?

You mean Alex of course ;) I'm wearing the T Shirt in my profile pic today proudly!

"Of course" i meant Alex. :-D

I,ll send you a John Higgins T shirt if you like though,as a belated christmas :pres: . ;-)

As far a nicks are concerned,stay with your good old "Dan-cat",it sounds reasonable.
Is your real name Dan?,and whats the cat bit about?.#i,m curious#. :chin:

Postby Dan-cat

Yup Dan Gerrett is my real name. Unusually I was christened 'Dan' rather than Daniel. When people tell me off (which is often!) they say 'Daniel!' and I reply 'who are you talking to?' :)

My mum wanted to call me Bogdan, which is a polish name (my grandfather Albin Chronowicz came over here during the war - fleeing the army because he was a pacifist - he landed here with nothing and became a doctor of civil engineering at Leeds University - he invented the multi-storey car park and you can still buy books about this - I'm serious!), but my Dad vetoed the Bog bit! Then they were going to call me Dan Oliver Gerrett - but they decided against the Oliver bit as my initials would have been DOG (so I have no middle name as they couldn't agree) which is ironic because...

...I became Dan Cat. I was in a DJ duo called 'Cheshire Catz' 2002 - 2009 (we still play together occasionally) and everyone in the that world calls me Dan Cat. Now I DJ solo under that name. That clear it up for you? :)

Postby Andre147

Instead the cover features Ding who has been on great form allright the past 2 years rofl <doh>

The defending champ is always in it, what a farce of a cover....

Postby Andy Spark

It's a reasonable choice of players for the cover. A cover should feature the players who are judged to have the best chance of winning the tournament and the most famous faces. Whether you are defending champion or world champion should be of little consequence.

Postby hendry_fan

Dan-cat wrote:Yup Dan Gerrett is my real name. Unusually I was christened 'Dan' rather than Daniel. When people tell me off (which is often!) they say 'Daniel!' and I reply 'who are you talking to?' :)

My mum wanted to call me Bogdan, which is a polish name (my grandfather Albin Chronowicz came over here during the war - fleeing the army because he was a pacifist - he landed here with nothing and became a doctor of civil engineering at Leeds University - he invented the multi-storey car park and you can still buy books about this - I'm serious!), but my Dad vetoed the Bog bit! Then they were going to call me Dan Oliver Gerrett - but they decided against the Oliver bit as my initials would have been DOG (so I have no middle name as they couldn't agree) which is ironic because...

...I became Dan Cat. I was in a DJ duo called 'Cheshire Catz' 2002 - 2009 (we still play together occasionally) and everyone in the that world calls me Dan Cat. Now I DJ solo under that name. That clear it up for you? :)

Very intrestin Dan,or better said Dan-cat,thanx for the info. <ok>

Postby hendry_fan

SnookerFan wrote:Here's the front cover of the 2016 Masters programme.

Notice it doesn't have the 2015 World Champion on the cover. More suprisingly, it doesn't have the reigning Masters champion on instead.

Bfore i scrolled down to read your and the other comments,as soon as i saw the photo,i immediatley thought,WTF!,no defending champ Murphy on it. :roll:

Postby Andre147

Ronnie79 wrote:Maybe if they put Bingham and Murphy on there no one else would fit ?. Ouch. Why would Hawkins be picked instead of Higgins for that matter. Strange

Or if they chose Allen I bet the same would happen :gag:

Postby Andre147

Well since nobody else done it this year, I shall give my thoughts on the 8 Last 16 matches ahead of us...

Shaun Murphy v Mark Allen To start off procedings, I have no doubts as to who will win this match, and that is of course the defending Champion Murphy. Murphy has won all high profile matches against Allen, the only 4 wins Allen has over him are 2 CL matches, 1 PTC match and another Jiangsu Classic match, so you can see how meaningless his win over Murphy are. Allen always seems to play well into Murphy's hands, I feel he should try a better tactic like Robbo or Selby do against him, but I guess that's just not Allen's game, and fair to play to him. Who I think will win: Murphy My hope: Murphy

Barry Hawkins v Joe Perry In many people's eyes, including mine, the least interesting match, I think Perry will beat Hawkins here, in similar fashion like he beat Ding here last year. Hawkins isn't playing great at the moment, Perry not doing much better, but here I feel a bit of an upset is on the cards, plus, if you take out CL results, Perry leads 5-2. Who I think will win: Perry My hope: Hawkins

Judd Trump v Stephen Maguire Trump seems to be playing well again, and not saying this because he won Group 2 of CL, but because I feel he'll want to get a strong second part of the season having not won anything yet. Maguire may cause him a few problems like he's done in the past, in fact he leads their head to head 7-5 (CL excluded), but I think Trump will just edge this one. Who I think will win: Trump My hope: Maguire

Neil Robertson v Marco Fu Robbo is on the back of great wins in both CoC and UK Champs, in similar fashion to what Ronnie did in 2014, but straight after Robertson did lose a qualifying match against an amateur, Ashley Huggil, plus he hasn't played competitively since. Maybe he was already thinking more about Christmas at that time and after his two great wins he didn't really feel up for it (if that was the case, I think that's the wrong approach). I think Fu here will cause him huge problems, their head to head record is tied at 4-4 (again, silly CL apart), but maybe, just maybe, at the closing stages of the match Fu might struggle to get over the line and Robbo could punish him. I think this will be a very nervy and tense match, and I could be dead wrong, but a decider is probably what I think will happen here. Who I think will win: Robertson My hope: Fu

Mark Selby v Ricky Walden Selby just loves this event, since his debut here in 2008, he has been in 5 Finals, winning 3, and losing the other 2 to a certain O'Sullivan. :-D Walden has been pretty marmite and below par lately, so I expect nothing less than a Selby win here. Selby may even be a bit rusty at the start and Walden could punish, but Selby will just be too good for him and will surely win this one. Who I think will win: Selby My hope: Selby

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark Williams My thoughts on this one are pretty similar to this link I posted above. Despite the good IC win MJW had over Ronnie last season, Ronnie played as bad as he could have done in that match, especially until 5-3 down, and still managed to get 5 frames off MJW. If he had played anything like he can do against MJW, he would have most likely hammered like so many times in the past, when since 2002 MJW has only had this single win over Ronnie, no CL included here. Plus MJW always seems to be scared of Ronnie, as a top player he should relish the challenge, but no, his Twitter comments when he knew he was going to face Ronnie are just laughable to say the least. Ronnie will be the winner here I'm sure, and very very likely earn that much awaited Quarter-Final meeting against his great rival Selby. Who I think will win: Ronnie My hope: Ronnie :-D

John Higgins v Liang Wenbo Another match who I have no doubts as to who will be the winner, and that's Higgins of course. Higgins has a 7-0 winning record, and despite Liang doing ever so well to reach UK Final, let's just say his draw was kind to him at times there. Liang never seems to play well against John, and a high profile match like this won't change that. Who I think will win: Higgins My hope Higgins

Stuart Bingham v Ding Junhui Well discussed and documented that Ding has been on a slump of form that I could never imagine possible since he won 5 ranking events and reached another final just 2 seasons ago. He's lost to pretty much every player he could. Bingham as World Champ so far hasn't done that title justice this season, but this is nothing new, even some of the greats had trouble in their first season as WC. This might be a close match especially if Ding has a good start. I'm always waiting and thinking: when will be the tournament that Ding finally turns this horrendus form around? Sadly, this tournament won't be it I think. Who I think will win: Bingham My hope: Ding

Postby SnookerFan

Andre, thanks for the write up.

I actually find Murphy vs Allen hard to predict. Allen recently got to the COC final. I think I went Allen to win in the PL.

Which probably means you're right, Murphy will win.

I agree Ronnie will easilymbeat Williams. Though it may have been meant in Next, Williams' Twitter meltdown was telling. It obviously occurred to Williams that he probably wouldn't win, for him to even joke about it. I don't think he believes he can win, and I think Ronnie will be fresh from the rest.

Postby Skullman

I'd give my thoughts on the matches but I think Andre's write up is pretty close to what I think in a lot cases (hopes excluded), so I'll just give my thoughts where they differ.

Perry v Hawkins will possibly be the least interesting match on paper, but I will note that sometimes good matches paper end up being let downs and other matches end up surprisingly good.

Mags v Trump I see as pretty 50/50 because Mags is well capable of beating Judd and usually plays well at the Masters.

Robbo v Fu I would just like to note that Robbo started slowly in the CoC and the UK so the first round is probably where he'll be most vulnerable to an 'upset'.

MJW v ROS Not much to add, although I think I may support ROS just this once for this one, because harsh as this may seem, Williams in meant a multiple world champion and triple crown winner and his Twitter meltdown was frankly embarrassing. If someone like him doesn't believe he can beat ROS, I'm not sure he deserves to.

Postby PLtheRef

SnookerFan wrote:Other random observations.

It's gone up from £5 to £6.

Mark Selby seems to have a black eye.

I'm sure I saw on the Programme Master website that the price of the Crucible programme will still be a fiver.

£6 - The most expensive programme in the history of the modern game

Postby Prop

Regarding Trump... has anyone noticed over the last season or so just how 'off' he cues up in relation to when he strikes the white? It looks about 5 degrees out sometimes.

Obviously he's an incredible player when he's 'on it', the amount of juice he gets on the white is mad.

But.. I just wonder whether this is affecting his game somewhat on the litte delicate, nervy shots. Dead weight off a cush, that sort of thing.

I haven't yet heard it mentioned in comms (certainly not from the likes of DT..) but just have a look and see for yourself when the camera's looking down his shot.

Postby Prop

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I'm tired of the Beep always putting the better matches in the afternoon slot. Maybe it's time for ITV to take this tournament over.

Even so, it means watching the evening matches on Red Button - which for me at least is in standard definition. I've got used to watching it all in HD now so it kind of detracts from the enjoyment once the evening sesh comes on.

Might just do what I did for the UK - Beeb in the day and Eurosport HD in the evening. Don't think they have a studio for this though do they?