Post a reply

Re: Masters Draw

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
GJ wrote:Now the chance for robbo to be a double master

If he carries on like he has yeah he has every chance.

But Snooker has too many variables nowadays, I've seen players win tournaments as well as him and then never win again for the rest of the season.

Not saying it will happen with Robbo, but we can just never tell...

its all in the mind set.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
GJ wrote:Now the chance for robbo to be a double master

If he carries on like he has yeah he has every chance.

But Snooker has too many variables nowadays, I've seen players win tournaments as well as him and then never win again for the rest of the season.

Not saying it will happen with Robbo, but we can just never tell...

Once upon a time I even saw a player who beat Hendry's ranking titles in a season record and then never won another title until this day.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Once upon a time I even saw a player who beat Hendry's ranking titles in a season record and then never won another title until this day.

He didn't beat it, he equalled Hendry's 5 ranking titles.

Ding did reach a 6th ranking Final, but as we know Ronnie stopped him in his tracks.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Speaking of that World Final. Now, one and a half years later, it's still not easy for me to comprehend what exactly happened and where it all went wrong. That final has to be the most frustrating and tiring match I have ever watched.

Yep. That match was definitely painful for the ROS fans, no question about that. I think that Selby did a good job in the third and fourth session. He played some very good safeties and just totally broke Ronnies ryhtm by turning every frame into a tactical battle and it paid off for him.
The strategy worked.

Ronnie choked somewhat in the first two sessions you have to say. Being just 10:7 ahead instead of 11:6 or even 12:5. But he just missed those key balls like the simple black off the spot and just couldn't pull away. Selbys highest break was like 35 until frame 15 if I remember correctly.

And I know. Many people still speaking about that legendary pink he missed but as Andre said. I think, at that stage the damage was already done. I think that Selby would have still won the match. Ronnies rythm was just gone.

Yes Selby was there for the taking on the first day. I was furious Ronnie led by only 3 frames. The Selby fear factor kicked in. I think Ronnie would have handled Robbo better in the final.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Ding did reach a 6th ranking Final, but as we know Ronnie stopped him in his tracks.

You're right of course. He just equalled it.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

You're right of course. He just equalled it.

but its been done.

so that old chestnut of it cant be done these days is a load of bullocks

Postby Andre147

So MJW said this on Twitter about the prospect of facing Ronnie:

"Ronnie o xxxxxng sullivan, ffs, anyone bar him, hes beginning to xxxx me off." <doh>

I think Wild once hit the nail on the head abou these reactions from MJW...

A great of the game like him shouldn't fear anyone, he should indeed relish the challenge of playing Ronnie in a big stage and beat him.

The mindset he's got is halfway enough to get him lose the match.

Postby Andre147

Here it is then.

I'm usually not one for conspiracy theories, but this could have so easily been fixed... I mean... every time they take a ball out of the bag, the camera focuses on each of them. Is it so we can have a closer look at the number? They could so easily have switched for the numbers they wanted.

I don't wanna believe this obviously, but it's just the way it was done. Should have been Live.

Postby Clara8633

I would be hugely surprised if Ding wins his 1st round. Not just because of his form, but also his opponent.

And how come ROS can meet Selby in the QF and Robertson with Tramp? :?

Postby SnookerFan

Clara8633 wrote:I would be hugely surprised if Ding wins his 1st round. Not just because of his form, but also his opponent.

And how come ROS can meet Selby in the QF and Robertson with Tramp? :?

I'd agree, except Bing hasn't done much as world champion either. His form has been disappointing.

Though at the moment Ding could probably lose to a guy with one-arm, who'd never played snooker before.

Postby Clara8633

SnookerFan wrote:I'd agree, except Bing hasn't done much as world champion either. His form has been disappointing.

That's true, but their h2h favour Bingham and I don't think this match will be an exception.

Postby PLtheRef

Andre147 wrote:Here it is then.

I'm usually not one for conspiracy theories, but this could have so easily been fixed... I mean... every time they take a ball out of the bag, the camera focuses on each of them. Is it so we can have a closer look at the number? They could so easily have switched for the numbers they wanted.

I don't wanna believe this obviously, but it's just the way it was done. Should have been Live.

Why they needed an either or scenario I do not know. They had the eight seeded players and eight unseeded players. Why they couldn't draw it and place the matches in the bracket once seedings were known is beyond me

Postby GJ

Got a sneaky feeling Selby will win this and make it number 4

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:So MJW said this on Twitter about the prospect of facing Ronnie:

"Ronnie o xxxxxng sullivan, ffs, anyone bar him, hes beginning to xxxx me off." <doh>

I think Wild once hit the nail on the head abou these reactions from MJW...

A great of the game like him shouldn't fear anyone, he should indeed relish the challenge of playing Ronnie in a big stage and beat him.

The mindset he's got is halfway enough to get him lose the match.

I can only assume that Mark Williams meant it as one of his jokes. But, I agree. It doesn't reflect on Mark Williams well at all. It makes him sound like he's admitted defeat already.

Postby SnookerFan

Do we know what order the Quarter-Finals are yet? (If that makes sense.)

Postby AC or LT?

Any lip readers able to confirm or deny that the two guys we cannot hear in that draw are actually reading out numbers that correspond to the red balls - I'm not one for conspiracy theories but this has one written all over. Why didn't they just do it in the MSI like last year.

Postby Cue Guru

Ronnie, the greatest player ever, at 1pm on a Tuesday? World Snooker, are you bucking joking? This is snooker's biggest box office and they put him on on a weekday at lunchtime. What a bunch of morons. It's ok if you're retired or retarded but for most snooker players and fans; we've got blummin jobs ya idiots. Ferguson, you don't show the little, ugly, rocky planets orbiting in primetime, you show the star ya muppet.

...and they've got Judd playing on a Monday at 1pm, so that's the TV audience scuppered for snooker's 2nd biggest draw. Bingo v. out of form Ding at 7pm on Sunday in the best window for a TV audience; seriously. And these jokers claim to be growing the game. Tubes.

Postby PoolBoy

I think the World Champion playing in a prime-time slot is appropriate.
This tournament has been played before Ronnie, would have gone ahead without him entering, and will soon, forever in the future, be played without 'Ronnie'.
Why should it 'bend' to accommodate a guy, who has treated the game with disdain this season (and others) ?

Postby SnookerFan

The BBC don't televise matches in the evening, so maybe their thinking is that they don't want the sport's biggest draw in a non-televised slot. Obviously, they have Interactive, but with the reductions of streams, they might want to keep Ronnie off of that in case there is a clash with something else on Red Button.

Also, how many people who have Eurosport, bother to flick onto the Red Button any more? Red Button was good, when you had match choice. Now that's gone, I suspect more people flick over to Eurosport out of habit. If Ronnie wasn't live on BBC2, I suspect they'd lose viewers to another channel.

Postby SnookerFan

Cue Guru wrote:Ronnie, the greatest player ever, at 1pm on a Tuesday? World Snooker, are you bucking joking? This is snooker's biggest box office and they put him on on a weekday at lunchtime. What a bunch of morons. It's ok if you're retired or retarded but for most snooker players and fans; we've got blummin jobs ya idiots. Ferguson, you don't show the little, ugly, rocky planets orbiting in primetime, you show the star ya muppet.

...and they've got Judd playing on a Monday at 1pm, so that's the TV audience scuppered for snooker's 2nd biggest draw. Bingo v. out of form Ding at 7pm on Sunday in the best window for a TV audience; seriously. And these jokers claim to be growing the game. Tubes.

Have a day of Annual Leave when Ronnie is on, and stop whining. :wave:

Postby steveo77

SnookerFan wrote:
Cue Guru wrote:Ronnie, the greatest player ever, at 1pm on a Tuesday? World Snooker, are you bucking joking? This is snooker's biggest box office and they put him on on a weekday at lunchtime. What a bunch of morons. It's ok if you're retired or retarded but for most snooker players and fans; we've got blummin jobs ya idiots. Ferguson, you don't show the little, ugly, rocky planets orbiting in primetime, you show the star ya muppet.

i agree - it is ridiculous.
this is one reason why snooker is declining and darts is on the up.
the reverse happens in darts - they put their top stars on late at night.

the BBC's thinking is that this is when they show the snooker so it will get the most viewers at that time.
only the real snooker fan will tune in on the red button in the evening.

on a separate point the ending of the red button very soon is going to have a huge impact for snooker.
very likely that there will be no live snooker on the BBC in the evenings at all apart from finals weekends.

Postby steveo77

and also when are they going to show a proper draw.
i would quite like to go to the possible Selby v O'Sullivan QF. However it is impossible to work out when this might take place

Postby SnookerFan

steveo77 wrote:and also when are they going to show a proper draw.
i would quite like to go to the possible Selby v O'Sullivan QF. However it is impossible to work out when this might take place

Yeah, I've held back on buying Quarter Final tickets, because I don't know who'll be in them yet.

Postby steveo77

it is a bit stupid.
tickets have been on sale for this for months but only yesterday they got around to making the draw and even now it is still not clear whats happening when.

i preferred the event when it took place in February and when it was actually organised well

Postby Cue Guru

steveo77 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

i agree - it is ridiculous.
this is one reason why snooker is declining and darts is on the up.
the reverse happens in darts - they put their top stars on late at night.

the BBC's thinking is that this is when they show the snooker so it will get the most viewers at that time.
only the real snooker fan will tune in on the red button in the evening.

on a separate point the ending of the red button very soon is going to have a huge impact for snooker.
very likely that there will be no live snooker on the BBC in the evenings at all apart from finals weekends.

Not only have they put Ronnie and Judd on at 1pm on weekday afternoons, they've managed to put the Ding match on at 7pm. He's a big draw for the Chinese TV audience who will be in bed asleep! If they'd put Ding on at 1pm in the afternoon, the Chinese would be able to watch him and we'd be able to watch Ronnie in the evening instead. WS are clueless.

It's time for WS to dump the beeb. I'm sick of their rubbish commentating; where's the white ball going, back in '87, he's got tree attempts, etc, full of the same hackneyed phrases every tournament. Give it to ITV or C4 for a change, let them run with it. C4 did wonders with the TdF, cricket and Serie A. Adverts is a small price to pay for having some sort of coverage, logically arranged.
Last edited by Cue Guru on 07 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

I'd have gone to see the Ding match if it was a 1pm game.

Can't be fussed coming back home through London late night, with Sunday transport.

Postby Cue Guru

If the WS and Beeb marriage was a show it would be on at 4am on Cbeebies and be titled 'At home with Mr and Mrs Fuckwit'.

Postby Smart

This non-sense has been going on for ages. I remember Jimmy matches used to get put on in the afternoon slot too. I think its a case of BBC wielding too much power / influence over the scheduling. Time to tell the BBC to go buck themselves and give the whole shooting match to Eurosport. Sorry I feel strongly on this subject. BBC are pisstaking mediocre bull merchants. :wave: