Post a reply

The Ricoh Arena, Some thoughts

Postby SnookerFan

So, as I’ve already bored everybody by mentioning several times, I attended the Ricoh Arena this weekend.

Anybody else been there for snooker? Couldn’t decide on my thoughts.

On first arrival, I discovered that my hotel is within the same building of the snooker. I literally didn’t have to feel fresh air on my skin from checking in time, to check out time. It was almost as if I’d paid for a bed in the same room as the snooker was held. Though the hotel charged me a hell of a lot for the privilege. There weren’t many hotels nearby, and those that were had sold out by the time I booked tickets. So I took the plunge, and went all in to the hotel in the same venue.

Walking about the Ricoh I wanted to like it as a venue. It seemed like a mini Ally-Pally, only better. But I began noticing the same problems with the Alexandra Palace. No atmosphere. When people talk about the Ricoh Arena’s fabulous atmosphere, they pretty much just mean ‘looks good on television’.

I mean, it was no Crucible. Where the snooker becomes the centre of everything for 17 days. Example. In Sheffield, all hotel staff watch snooker, even if they don’t care about it, so they can talk to customers about it.

Granted, that’s The Crucible. The biggest tournament in our sport. But considering the venue was all in one, it seemed a bit dour somehow. People just weren’t interacting with other snooker fans. Something seemed missing. There was a bar opposite the snooker called The Legends Lounge that had ITV 4 on all day. (And opened before midday, so was showing some weird antique show with a couple of Texan blokes.) But even that felt, I dunno, like people were just doing it because they felt it was a sensible decision.

In no bar that was there did I get talking about snooker, despite trying.

Maybe I should stop travelling alone to snooker events. But even when you went to the Newport Centre, there was some atmosphere to the place. And was in the centre of the city, so you could go to a pub or to the nearby chip shop/curry house during matches.

One thing I will say, the layout inside the arena was good. There wasn't really a bad seat in the house. Even when I was sat at the back, I had an amazing view of the table. And it's easy to nip out for a toilet break, and be back in your seat for the next frame. Something that wouldn't be possible at a lot of venues.

Anybody else go? Agree / Disagree.

For what has become such a highly regarded, cool tournament, the atmosphere of the place seemed flat somehow.

Re: The Ricoh Arena, Some thoughts

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Good notes. I doubt that there is any snooker tournament apart from the World Championship in Sheffield where you get snooker chat in local pubs etc.

No, probably not. Sadly.

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Good notes. I doubt that there is any snooker tournament apart from the World Championship in Sheffield where you get snooker chat in local pubs etc.

No, probably not. Sadly.

Dunno about that, Preston and York definitely the next best. Preston should definitely still be hosting snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

No, probably not. Sadly.

Dunno about that, Preston and York definitely the next best. Preston should definitely still be hosting snooker.

It's hosting the Snooker Seniors. :spot on:

Joking aside, aint done Preston or York. I kind of regret never having done Preston.

Postby Pink Ball

Smart wrote:I have been to Preston (for football), we then stayed the weekend in Blackpool which is nearby. Blackpool is best described as cheap lager, kebabs, stag do's, hen do's. A weekend is plenty of time in Blackpool. :gag: :wave:

Sounds like Dingle in the South West of Ireland. Their emblem depicts a man faceplanted next to a parked car having choked on his own vomit. Honest to God, google it!

Postby TheSaviour

But actually that is a much better!

Now what you wrote it has AT LEAST SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE REALITY. Some things you should never flush down the toilet just because of some people´s persistent delusional thinking.. So keep it real for the future also!

Postby SnookerFan

TheSaviour wrote:But actually that is a much better!

Now what you wrote it has AT LEAST SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE REALITY. Some things you should never flush down the toilet just because of some people´s persistent delusional thinking.. So keep it real for the future also!

:anyone:

Postby Pink Ball

Precisely.

Postby Holden Chinaski

:?

Postby Clara8633

Holden Chinaski wrote:

:?

rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:Is Saviour even aware that this is a snooker forum?

He's hyper-aware. He's flushed falsehood down the toilet. He realises this is a snooker more than those of us who persist in delusion. We are the ones who need to see the truth.

Or something. :?

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:SF you are on it! Now relating to the above chat...?

Never really read Viz.

I'd have probably got it in one if it was a Beano or Dandy character from the late 80s and early 90s. rofl

My Viz knowledge is Billy The Fish, The Real Ale hammers and The Fat tourists or whatever them women were called.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:10 points for the first person to tell me who that is above

Snooker Island's head moderator, Roland?

This place has an admin?

Thanks to Clara, I can't look at your posts without checking your Snooker Idols now. :?