Post a reply

Re: 188BET Champion of Champions Group 3

Postby Vallomas

Kyren hadn't shown something really special until Shanghai, if you asked me (and not only me) about promising players, I would respond for McGill or Oli Lines.

But winning a ranking event gives a huge boost in a career, as it seems. And don't forget that Kyren beat not only Trump in the final, but also Ding, Allen and Perry in his run. He is more confident now and you can feel it while you 're watching him in the table.

I agree that this quarter final against Zhou is very important for Kyren, but is also important for the Chinese. This guy is also very talented, he has already won a trophy against top players (no matter if we all rate it as less important) and he's in a good way to rise in the top in the next few years.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Vallomas wrote:Kyren hadn't shown something really special until Shanghai, if you asked me (and not only me) about promising players, I would respond for McGill or Oli Lines.

But winning a ranking event gives a huge boost in a career, as it seems. And don't forget that Kyren beat not only Trump in the final, but also Ding, Allen and Perry in his run. He is more confident now and you can feel it while you 're watching him in the table.

I agree that this quarter final against Zhou is very important for Kyren, but is also important for the Chinese. This guy is also very talented, he has already won a trophy against top players (no matter if we all rate it as less important) and he's in a good way to rise in the top in the next few years.

Wilson made his first big impact as he denied Dott from qualifying for the Crucible. So saying he hasn't shown something special until Shanghai is a bit harsh I think.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Vallomas wrote:Kyren hadn't shown something really special until Shanghai, if you asked me (and not only me) about promising players, I would respond for McGill or Oli Lines.

Wilson made his first big impact as he denied Dott from qualifying for the Crucible. So saying he hasn't shown something special until Shanghai is a bit harsh I think.

Also don't forget he beat Robertson at the UK Champs. <ok>

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Also don't forget he beat Robertson at the UK Champs. <ok>

Robertson won that match 6-5?

Yeah he did. <doh>

But nevertheless I remember Kyren playing very well in that match, it was only a year ago, lol.

Postby Vallomas

I can name many players who have made impact by winning an established pro in a single match, but we can't call these wins "something special".

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

theres a world of difference between winning a odd match or play well in a odd match but to sustain it throughout a tournament is on another level.

hes only reached the last 16 or better in 4 PTC and hes played in PTC for the last 6 years so going from that to winning the shanghai masters is a massive step up in class.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

theres a world of difference between winning a odd match or play well in a odd match but to sustain it throughout a tournament is on another level.

hes only reached the last 16 or better in 4 PTC and hes played in PTC for the last 6 years so going from that to winning the shanghai masters is a massive step up in class.

And I agree. But to say nobody could see Wilson win a ranker so quickly, with today's number of tournaments, out of form top players and the general unpredictability of snooker, I disagree.

Postby PLtheRef

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

And I agree. But to say nobody could see Wilson win a ranker so quickly, with today's number of tournaments, out of form top players and the general unpredictability of snooker, I disagree.

Perhaps its the sense that compared to some of the other younger players, Kyren seems to be a later bloomer than some of the others. Remembering it's five years that Kyren began competing on the tour - give or take and despite some fine displays, such as eliminating Dott from the 2014 World Championships and very nearly beating Robertson last year - the Shanghai was only his seventh professional appearance in the last 16 of a ranking tournament and third in a mainstream ranker. - Trying to recall anyone who's had fewer appearances in rankers before winning one. Maybe Harold back in 1993 Asian Open or Steve Davis at the Crucible in 1981 but I'm struggling to recall anyone otherwise.

It was a positive surprise to see him win the Shanghai Masters for he is a very able player - but nonetheless it was still a surprise.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:ronnie is not only a crowd pleaser but also commentator's darling

That's all well and good, but can he put away a pink hanging over a middle pocket?

Did he miss a pink once?

Should've mentioned.