Post a reply

Nongfu Spring World Cup !!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Monday 15th ~Sunday 21st of June at the City Sports Park Stadium in Wuxi

This year will be the 14th time the World Cup has been played for in Snooker first won in 1979 by the Welsh team of Ray Reardon, Terry Griffiths and Doug Mountjoy and they repeated that feat in 1980.

England have won it most times 4 in total 1981, 1983, 1988 and 1989 with Steve Davis playing in all those wins. In the mid 80s the Alex Higgins inspired all Irish team won it 3 times beating England in 1985 then beating Canada in 1986 and 1987.

the last time this tournament was played in 2011 it signaled a change in snooker since the mid 80s where no longer was there a Canadian Team and China won it with Ding Junhui and Liang Wenbo beating Northern Irish Duo Mark Allen and Gerard Greene in the final.

Ding Junhui is back to defend the title but this time he will be joined by Xiao Guodong while in the second Chinese team they have opted for youth in the shape of Zhou Yuelong and new tour professional Yan Bingtao.

Who will win the World Cup this time?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY
Matches start at 6am BST

Image Image

Re: Nongfu Spring World Cup Group Stage !!!

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I found this tournament a bit odd last year.

I don't find snooker works as a team sport, somehow.

i personally think snooker needs this type of change from 1 v 1 all the time.

they have gone with shot clocks, 6 reds, shootout etc etc but the one thing thats constant is its 1 vs 1.

the format of this event is rubbish that's given and they not doing the best they can with a team event this alternate shot doubles is a load of tripe.

But it works if they do it well and unfortunately last time it was played they failed and this year they gone for the same format :chin: :td: <doh>

Postby Dan-cat

Interesting Wildey - is it definitely Scotch Doubles then like the World Cup of Pool? That's what they call alternate shot doubles in pool. I grew to like it by the end, it provides a bit of extra tension if your partner mucks up position and no one player can dominate.

Postby Wildey

I Think it would be good if there was tactics used during a match and a player ask the advice of the captain regarding shots however playing a break where shots is simple alternatively ruin's the flow of the break and frame.

3 Men team and 8 Frame Matches with the team that wins the toss decides who plays who in the match with each man playing 2 frames each on the spin that's 6 frames with full captain involvement in every frame regarding opinions on difficult shots etc

then the Captain decides which 2 players plays the 2 double frames at the end and if the captain picks the other 2 players then the doubles match will have involvement from all 3 players on that team but no alternative shots.

Postby SnookerFan

It's just personal, really.

I think everything that is watchable about snooker involves it being one-on-one. A person makes a mistake and costs him the frame. The hook is seeing how he'll respond to it in the next frame. Not what his mate will do to help him.

But that's subjective.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:It's just personal, really.

I think everything that is watchable about snooker involves it being one-on-one. A person makes a mistake and costs him the frame. The hook is seeing how he'll respond to it in the next frame. Not what his mate will do to help him.

But that's subjective.

but sometimes change to that keeps it fresh

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:but sometimes change to that keeps it fresh

I'm not doubting that. I just find doubles matches a bit tiresome.

That's not to say everybody else has to.

I find you quite tiresome.

Postby Wildey

Monday 15th of June

5.30am

Group C
Australia v Qatar
Wales v Pakistan
Poland v Northern Ireland

NB 7.30am

Group D
England v Thailand
Republic of Ireland v China B
United Arab Emirates v Germany

12.30pm

Group A
China A v India
Norway v Singapore
Malta v Austria

NB 2.30pm

Group B
Hong Kong v Malaysia
Scotland v Iran
Brazil v Belgium

Postby kolompar

I'm looking forward to it, there's a bit too much round robin but I like the idea of a World Cup and I think scotch doubles are ok too. Looks stupid they are giving out the prize money in a currency that none of the 23 participating countries use though.
Each group has a favourite and the winner will probably come from that four, but the second qualifiers aren't obvious. I think Pakistan, Iran, and Brazil could do well and I would like to see them do.
And of course, Malta :D

Postby Wildey

JDM375 wrote:No surprise on that showing the Vinnie has done nothing on tour, Qatar could have won that match..

he shouldn't be on tour that is clear for all to see

Postby Wildey

Monday 15th of June

5.30am

Group C
Australia 3-2 Qatar
Wales 5-0 Pakistan
Poland 0-5 Northern Ireland

NB 7.30am

Group D
England 1-3 Thailand
Republic of Ireland 1-4 China B
United Arab Emirates 1-0 Germany

12.30pm

Group A
China A v India
Norway v Singapore
Malta v Austria

NB 2.30pm

Group B
Hong Kong v Malaysia
Scotland v Iran
Brazil v Belgium

Postby Wildey

in 2011 both Dechawat Poomjaeng and Thepchaya Un-Nooh played in the World Cup but on different teams back then.

Dechawat Poomjaeng was with James Wattana in Thailand A and Thepchaya was in Thailand B with Passakorn Suwanawat.

Postby Wildey

England has suffered at the hands of Thailand losing 4-1 with 4 more matches its not the end of the World but they are on the back foot going in to their second match against China B Tomorrow

Postby Wildey

Adan wrote:Is there any chance to know who played each of the frames?

Been trying to find out but at the moment cant find anything

Postby kolompar

Wildey wrote:England has suffered at the hands of Thailand losing 4-1 with 4 more matches its not the end of the World but they are on the back foot going in to their second match against China B Tomorrow

The Dream Team struggling? pmsl

Postby Wildey

Doesent make sense how Australia is seeded 3rd, Hong Kong 5th and Wales seeded 6th lol even Thailand and Northern Ireland should be higher with 2 Pros playing

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

Stuart Bingham ‏@Stuart__Bingham
Not the start we was looking for but fair play to Thailand, both played well. China B next tomorrow night. Hopefully past there bedtime!

Postby kolompar

Wildey wrote:Doesent make sense how Australia is seeded 3rd, Hong Kong 5th and Wales seeded 6th lol even Thailand and Northern Ireland should be higher with 2 Pros playing

The rankings of the higher ranked players.
SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

Stuart Bingham ‏@Stuart__Bingham
Not the start we was looking for but fair play to Thailand, both played well. China B next tomorrow night. Hopefully past there bedtime!

Well, that doesn't show much confidence against two teenagers, kind of insulting, and bad spelling too. :|

Postby Dan-cat

Speaking of Tony Drago, I bumped into him in soho last week. He said he was supposed to be practising but had to have a new tip put on that day so had given himself the day off. We chatted for about 15 minutes about all sorts. He's a lovely and gentle man.

And then yesterday, I bumped into Ronnie on Broadway market, where I proceeded to chew his ear off for about 10 minutes without letting him get a word in, fanning him with fanboy love. I held onto his hand for a little too long after I shook it, and then fist bumped him at the end. Oh god. I'm cringing.