Post a reply

Re: Nongfu Spring World Cup Group Stage !!!

Postby PoolBoy

kolompar wrote:Doubles match is alternate innings not scotch doubles.

Came on here to ask that very question. I've played Scotch Doubles at pool, but it would be difficult having alternate shots in a snooker game!
eg Selby pots yellow, Bingham pots green, Selby back to pot the brown then Bingham returns to pot the blue etc!
Would allow for no fluency and some very 'broken' play; but it's perfectly viable in pool.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Speaking of Tony Drago, I bumped into him in soho last week. He said he was supposed to be practising but had to have a new tip put on that day so had given himself the day off. We chatted for about 15 minutes about all sorts. He's a lovely and gentle man.

And then yesterday, I bumped into Ronnie on Broadway market, where I proceeded to chew his ear off for about 10 minutes without letting him get a word in, fanning him with fanboy love. I held onto his hand for a little too long after I shook it, and then fist bumped him at the end. Oh god. I'm cringing.

:?

Postby kolompar

PoolBoy wrote:
kolompar wrote:Doubles match is alternate innings not scotch doubles.

Came on here to ask that very question. I've played Scotch Doubles at pool, but it would be difficult having alternate shots in a snooker game!
eg Selby pots yellow, Bingham pots green, Selby back to pot the brown then Bingham returns to pot the blue etc!
Would allow for no fluency and some very 'broken' play; but it's perfectly viable in pool.

Yeah, it was scotch doubles last time and nobody liked it for that reason but I think it was the only way it was really a team match and it's only one frame per match anyway.

Postby hendry_fan

Hi all,hope your all well!.

I,m still a bit disappointed at Scotland losin to England at the World cup of darts last night,but i guess bein the 2nd best country that took part aint that bad. :-D

I read that England lost there first match in this Snooker World cup though,4-1 against Thailand!. ;-) :happy:

Postby Andy Spark

This England team, are NOT the "dream team". Even a brain dead moron can work out that a team of Trump and O'Sullivan would be the dream team that would ACTUALLY SCARE the other countries. If you're playing Bingo and Slowby you'll go, "whatever", however, if you know you're up against Trump and Rocket you go "rubbish, we'll have to play well to win that one"!

In football terms Trump/O'Sullivan would be Brazil.

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:This England team, are NOT the "dream team". Even a brain dead moron can work out that a team of Trump and O'Sullivan would be the dream team that would ACTUALLY SCARE the other countries. If you're playing Bingo and Slowby you'll go, "whatever", however, if you know you're up against Trump and Rocket you go "rubbish, we'll have to play well to win that one"!

In football terms Trump/O'Sullivan would be Brazil.

Aren't the teams chosen based on rankings, rather than who will make the opponents go; "rubbish"?

Postby PoolBoy

England have the best 2 players available to them in Selby and Bingham. As they're the best two players in the world, it surely is a 'dream team'!
Selby has been World no. 1 for FOUR seasons now. Add in the World Champion as his partner - who is ranked no 2 = as good as it gets!
No team has been, or can ever be, stronger as this England team!
It's impossible to have a stronger two-man team than the best two players! Simples!

Postby fridge46

First day done and dusted. Really happy they moved to alternate visit - no more committee meetings after each shot!!

Out of interest, does anyone know who played which frames in the Malta/Austria, Brazil/Belgium, Poland/N Ireland and UAE/Germany matches.

Many thanks in advance.

Postby Wildey

Monday 15th of June

5.30am

Group C
Australia 3-2 Qatar
Wales 5-0 Pakistan
Poland 0-5 Northern Ireland

NB 7.30am

Group D
England 1-4 Thailand
Republic of Ireland 1-4 China B
United Arab Emirates 2-3 Germany

12.30pm

Group A
China A 3-2 India
Norway 3-2 Singapore
Malta 5-0 Austria

NB 2.30pm

Group B
Hong Kong 3-2 Malaysia
Scotland 4-1 Iran
Brazil 2-3 Belgium

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 16th of June

6am

Group A
China A v Singapore
Norway v Malta
India v Austria

NB 8am

Group B
Hong Kong v Iran
Scotland v Brazil
Malaysia v Belgium

12.30pm

Group C
Australia v Pakistan
Wales v Poland
Qatar v Northern Ireland

NB 2.30pm

Group D
England v China B
Republic of Ireland v United Arab Emirates
Thailand v Germany

Postby Andy Spark

Rankings are a poor method of selecting the "best" players for the team. Fans who look at rankings to see who's best need to wake up and realise they are being taken for a ride by the various governing bodies in sport. Of course the WPBSA will manipulate the ranking system for their own ends, and the degree of your ignorance will dictate the degree of manipulation. The WPBSA aren't interested in accurately ordering the players according to who's best. How would that help them? No, the WPBSA, World Snooker and fundamentaly Matchroom want to better their own key performance measures, things like EPS growth, profitability per event etc; these can be increased by manipulating the ranking system to encourage "star name" attendance.

Postby Wildey

you have to have some sort of method of selecting players.

how is selecting players at random fair?

every player on tour has a chance of playing in tournaments same system for all players nobody getting favoritism.

you have pinpointed what you disagree with however you not come up with a better method.

Postby kolompar

First session was all whitewashes including Malta's win over Norway. If they beat China or India they will probably go through.
Now Brazil is 2-1 up on Scotland, needed lots of chances to win the doubles frame.

Postby Andy Spark

Wildey wrote:you have pinpointed what you disagree with however you not come up with a better method.

Well, I would use an ELO rating based method for World Cup selection. Competitive chess uses ELO a lot. One advantage of using world rankings as they are currently is that they are a little more easy to understand and thus players feel more confident about where they stand in relation to the system. However, for a once in two years team event I see no reason why a more accurate "best" player selection method cannot be used as a basis instead.