Post a reply

Re: Ladbrokes Players Championship Final!

Postby hendry_fan

Verrrrrrrrrrrry well done Mark,you proved many wrong,especially the wombel StevedrivvlerDavis.

He now has 3 ranking titles on his CV,including 1 Brittish based.

Loved the "COME ONNNNNNNNNN" and fist pump!. :-D

:cracker: :happy: CRACKIN STUFF MARK ALLEN!. :cracker: :happy:

Steve Davis= :bird: :bum: High time he went into retirement.

Postby hendry_fan

sundaygirl wrote:Back from work not sure if I can bear to watch.

Hard luck sundaygirl,will be hard to take,Ricky played very good every match this week,but went down a gear in this final.

Maybe another time. <ok>

Postby TheRocket

Or maybe not. Just realized that the Welsh Open points of the 13/14 season (which Ronnie won) will be dropped. Would be a pity if Neil and Ronnie already met in the quarters.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:It's almost guaranteed that Ronnie O'Sullivan and Neil Robertson will meet in the quarterfinals of the World Championship.

no guarantees

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:
TheRocket wrote:It's almost guaranteed that Ronnie O'Sullivan and Neil Robertson will meet in the quarterfinals of the World Championship.

no guarantees

Yep, my mistake. Just thought for a moment that it was always guaranteed. And Ronnie, Neil and Selby in the bottom half of the draw would be really brutal.

Postby eraserhead

151kbar151 wrote:
eraserhead wrote:Will Mark mention championship league in his interview?

Why?

Steve Davis called him more championship than premier league in a feature for the bbc, he brought it up in his post match interview yesterday and sounded really bitter. <laugh>

It's pretty rough criticism, so I can see why he's still mad about it.

Postby PoolBoy

barrydoherty54 wrote:Hard to believe bookies have made Allen favourite. Surely had to be Ricky going by form this week. Allen is struggling out there but somehow is managing to dig dee and grind the results. . Hoping for a close match but can see Ricky running away with it. 10-4 or 10-5.

Well, ....that went well! <laugh>

Postby Pedro147

Steve's comment may have been harsh but I can't say I disagree with him. Allen is not an elite player. Ronnie, Selby or Robbo didn't play in this tournament, the top three players in the world.

I'd say those three along with Murphy, Trump, Bingham are of a level above Allen. The tournament was a great win for him and fully deserved but I still don't think he's an elite player. It's not that he can't beat them on his day but in a big tournament like the UK, Masters or WCs he never seems to be able to beat 2-3 top players in a row which is what is required,

Postby Andy Spark

PoolBoy wrote:I'd argue that if you're ranked at number 6 in the world in any individual sport, then you're entitled to be considered amongst the elite in that event.

I would disagree, ranking is just one stat among many, besides, it tends to be manipulated for political reasons. Allen hasn't won any of the "big three" events in snooker (played 35, won none!), he is not really one of the "elite". He is championship league rather than premier league.

Postby Pedro147

PoolBoy wrote:I'd be interested to see which 20 players you'd have ahead of Mark Allen, consigning him to the 2nd-tier (Championship)!

I personally wouldn't consider him championship or whatever but I don't feel he's elite. He'll not go down as being in the top five of his era. Form aside as well I'd have Ding as a superior player to Allen. He's world class and doing very well for himself but I don't think he's elite.

From 2009-2016 he's never made the final of the Masters. He's one UK final since 2005 and that final was five years ago. He's one world semi-final in 2009 and in the last four years he's not made in past the last 16 (in two of those years he lost in last 32). That's why I don't consider him elite.

Postby Pedro147

SnookerFan wrote:
Pedro147 wrote:I'd have Ding as a superior player to Allen.

You obviously ain't watching this match against Lee Walker.

Haha no, I'm in work ATM and I'm not able to stream. Ding's form as been bad though the last 18 months or so. Doesn't seem to have any belief in his game. A sports psychologist would do him the world of good IMO.

Postby Sickpotter

Andy Spark wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:I'd argue that if you're ranked at number 6 in the world in any individual sport, then you're entitled to be considered amongst the elite in that event.

I would disagree, ranking is just one stat among many, besides, it tends to be manipulated for political reasons. Allen hasn't won any of the "big three" events in snooker (played 35, won none!), he is not really one of the "elite". He is championship league rather than premier league.

Sorry but if you've made the top 10 you're elite.

No one is suggesting Allen is an all time great of the game but to be suggesting players in the top 16 aren't elite is ludicrous. :shrug: